Got my Grado Sr80i today.
May 1, 2009 at 7:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Del Griffith

1000+ Head-Fier
I have had Grado headphones in the past, the sr60 and 80...in the early days of my venture into this hobby. However in those days I was much more of a basshead than now and thought there would be something much better out there so I sold both and tried many others even though I liked both. I listen mostly to Iem's but want something that I can listen to in the off times when I just want to quickly put on some tunes for a short listen.

So now on to my point...

A few years ago I thought the sr80 had nice bass and mids but they seemed a little bright for me. I don't know if it's the fact that I am older now and my tastes have changed or that the 80i is different with the flat pads and the new design. Which ever the case is..I love the sound. They have very nice tight bass and the mids and highs are great..no brightness imho w/o any burn in yet. Also I am one of the minority who thinks that the Grado look is very cool. Maybe again..because I am an 80's child... I don't know but I always thought they were a thing of beauty. I also never had a problem with comfort..they are much more comfortable than most I've tried both with bowls and flat pads..granted I don't listen for record breaking time periods.

I have been listening non stop most of the day and am thrilled with them on the cost to sound factor.
Take this with a grain of salt as I am far from an audiophile expert...I just like what I like... I will leave them hooked up overnight for awhile to burn them in...hopefully they improve even more.

Also fwiw...I am listening with an ipod and a corda xxs amp.

May 1, 2009 at 8:02 PM Post #2 of 10
nice impressions
biggrin.gif

really interesting ... made me think twice about them
biggrin.gif

btw congrats on your purchase
wink.gif

May 1, 2009 at 8:06 PM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Del Griffith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A few years ago I thought the sr80 had nice bass and mids but they seemed a little bright for me. I don't know if it's the fact that I am older now and my tastes have changed or that the 80i is different with the flat pads and the new design. Which ever the case is..I love the sound. They have very nice tight bass and the mids and highs are great..no brightness imho w/o any burn in yet. Also I am one of the minority who thinks that the Grado look is very cool. Maybe again..because I am an 80's child... I don't know but I always thought they were a thing of beauty. I also never had a problem with comfort..they are much more comfortable than most I've tried both with bowls and flat pads..granted I don't listen for record breaking time periods.

Also fwiw...I am listening with an ipod and a corda xxs amp.

I'll looking forward to your impression after further run in~
I also think that Grado looks pretty cool.
Are we minority on this??

May 1, 2009 at 8:15 PM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by stokitw /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll looking forward to your impression after further run in~
I also think that Grado looks pretty cool.
Are we minority on this??

I don't know how many people think they are ugly..or to what extent we are a minority..but so many sites including headroom state things about the "fashion police" pulling you over...or a throw back to the 70's etc.. I just think the simplicity is quite sweet. I will certainly post more through the burn-in.. Thanks..

May 4, 2009 at 10:13 PM Post #7 of 10
I love the Grado look too, I think they look really good especially on the head, unlike other 'phones who may look nice but look a little weird when u put 'em on...
Moreover, I own a pair of SR80 that I use with my portable player and I think very highly of them!

May 4, 2009 at 11:03 PM Post #8 of 10
I don't look in a mirror while listening - no care for looks! but grados always remind me of Radar in MASH!

Dec 28, 2011 at 3:48 AM Post #9 of 10
I reckon my SR80i's look AWESOME! (this is coming from a modern world 14 year old)
They also sound great, with sound so engaging you feel like your're actually listening to the artist live. After break in the sound improves further, with a tighter bass and a more ferocious vocal attack.

My only gripe is that although the fully rotating earcups are cool, constant rotation curlsmup the cable.

Overall, fantastic headphones for a amateur (like me) to enter the audiophile market!

I LOVE MY SR80i's!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back