Got my Grace 901... but there are problems...
Mar 24, 2004 at 3:45 AM Post #31 of 37
Quote:

Originally posted by Wodgy
Some amps have a ground loop "breaker" (usually a resistor in parallel with a capacitor) to filter out 60hz currents and reduce the likelihood of ground loops. Jan Meier describes how he implements this in his own amps here:
http://home.t-online.de/home/meier-audio/headamp.htm
Some amps don't. My guess is that Grace depended on the powerline filter in the Schaffner IEC assembly they use. It probably wasn't enough for Ed's computer. Computers have extraordinarily dirty grounds, for obvious reasons (millions of switching transistors).

Yeah, I guess all the power filtering I have helps. I can only hear the buzz/hum only barely if I turn the volume all the way up.

With horrendeously inefficient phones like the K1000, I need the room dead quiet to hear it at all with the volume up to 11.
biggrin.gif

Again, I'm being really really anal. I can't hear the buzz/hum at all when listening at normal levels. I have to turn it up to levels that would permanently damage my hearing.

-Ed

Mar 24, 2004 at 7:43 AM Post #32 of 37
just got my apogee spdif and aesebu cables today.... listening to my cd player as i type, through the spdif. man..... after i sent the amp off tomorrow morning for "repair," i'm sure gonna miss it. best amp i have ever owned, despite the super minor hum problem.
frown.gif

incidentally, i also played back on my Sony CD3000's one of my old recordings through the aesebu port on my Motu 896, at 96khz. .....and i was like, CRAP, what the heck is that shrill noise!?..... heh he, looks like i'm gonna have to do some editing, now that i can hear everything so clearly.
wink.gif

Mar 24, 2004 at 3:33 PM Post #34 of 37
Quote:

Originally posted by Orpheus
incidentally, i also played back on my Sony CD3000's one of my old recordings through the aesebu port on my Motu 896, at 96khz. .....and i was like, CRAP, what the heck is that shrill noise!?..... heh he, looks like i'm gonna have to do some editing, now that i can hear everything so clearly.
wink.gif

I'm curious, what were you using before?

Mar 24, 2004 at 4:03 PM Post #36 of 37
Quote:

Originally posted by Orpheus
just got my apogee spdif and aesebu cables today.... listening to my cd player as i type, through the spdif. man..... after i sent the amp off tomorrow morning for "repair," i'm sure gonna miss it. best amp i have ever owned, despite the super minor hum problem.
frown.gif

Yep, mine doesn't have the hum, and it is definitely the best amp I've ever owned. I'm actually amazed at what a wonderful piece of equipment this is. I can't imagine a headphone amp with better sound than this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back