Got my first Stereolab album... (Sound-Dust)
Apr 24, 2003 at 11:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

pikawel

500+ Head-Fier
I think this is the most comfortable album I've ever heard; I listened to it twice lastnight at work and time flew by. It's so clean with it's many shimmering notes... it's pretty entrancing. I could listen to this album in a hotel lobby in the Bahamas endlessly... yeah, man.

So I read on All Music Guide that by comparison, this album is one of their more basic material and not a good representation of their work. I remember reading about the death of their lead singer a few months back on the forum and it meant nothing to me. Stereolab had always been one of those bands I'd hear nothing but great things about but never actually heard. Maybe some of you seasoned Stereolab fans can give me a push in the right direction as far as further album purchasing goes.

All Music Guide

Apr 25, 2003 at 2:48 AM Post #2 of 18
I'm suggesting ABC Music. It's a 2 CD collection 'live in studio' performances, of songs that span most of their repitoire. The songs in the mix are some of their favourite tracks, and they do each one justice.

Then you can have fun discovering all the albums, noticing every one or two songs on each album that's familiar from ABC Music.

Apr 25, 2003 at 11:26 AM Post #3 of 18
Redshifter is the president of Stereolab fan club here.

My three favorite albums would be:
-transient random noise bursts
-switched on
-refried ectoplasm (switched on II)

I think Redshifter will say one of his favorites is: Emperor Tomato Ketchup.

The album you have is a newer one made in 2001, best material was done in early-mid 1990's.

Apr 25, 2003 at 1:47 PM Post #4 of 18
Dots and Loops. Everything I've heard by them since that album hasn't been as good. Yes, Emporer Tomato Ketchup is great too, I like Dots and Loops better. Yes, a very good early album (well, it's a collection of singles and stuff) is "Refried Ectoplasm."

But go get Dots and Loops. It's yum yum.

-jar

Apr 25, 2003 at 5:00 PM Post #5 of 18
I second that Dots and Loops recommendation. Good, good stuff. I also like Emperor Tomato and Mars Audiac Quintet, but Dots and Loops stole the show for me.

Sound-Dust is OK -- but it doesn't have the same edge as other albums.

Apr 25, 2003 at 6:31 PM Post #6 of 18
I would third Dots and Loops, Emperor Tomato Ketchup is wonderful as well, and is significantly boosted by its inspired name. Did you know that Ketchup is just the bastardization of sauce in some language (I forget whether it is indian or chinese)! That is why the modifier is necessary, but also fun. And Emperor could be both a brand OR an actual person. The possibilities are stupifying. Yeah, and Peng! is good too, but the album art and title blow. Where did they go wrong? Anyway, welcome to the hipster crowd -- here's your stereolab album.

Apr 27, 2003 at 10:45 PM Post #7 of 18
It's nice to read that almost everything else they've done is better than the album I've got. Usually, if I listen to an album that really gets my attention, I later find out that it was the artist's best album and then it's nothing but disappointment with some diamonds in the rough from there on out.

That sound they have on Sound-Dust is comfortable as all hell
smily_headphones1.gif
I think I'm going to buy a pair of KSC-35's just for bed so I can listen to albums like this and Sea-Change.

Thanks all.

Apr 29, 2003 at 10:22 PM Post #9 of 18
I've had Dots and Loops and Refried Ectoplasm for a few weeks now and I'm really enjoying both. I have to say I'm really impressed with how versatile their sound is. Recs for my next Stereolab purchase?

Apr 29, 2003 at 11:14 PM Post #10 of 18
i'm not the best person to ask what to get next, i think all of stereolab's albums are within 1 point of each other on the quality scale (i.e., 8/10 9/10, 9/10, 8/10, etc.)

i'll tell you this though, if you prefer the smoother, jazz-tinged sound go for lab albums from dots and loops on. cobra and phases... is also very similar to dots and loops. my copy of dots and loops is on white vinyl, btw.
cool.gif

if you like the noisy edgy sound of screaming analog synths and punk guitars check out their earlier stuff like transient random..., which like dark angel is also my favorite lab album (and one of the hardest to access).

mary was the one who died from the band. she was the australian backup singer, and also played guiter, tamborine, and synths. she's the one who sang those delightful ba-da-ba-pa ba-da-pa-pa's behind laetitia's breathy french-pop vocals, but she also sang lead on a few songs too.

stereolab is working on their new album despite mary's death, though.

i second the recommendation for "abc music" as well. you get an idea of what the lab is like live, especially on disc one. if you have never seen them live, they can put on a fierce show, something that doesn't always come through on the albums.

Apr 30, 2003 at 5:19 PM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by bundee1
How did she die?

she was hit by a truck driver while riding her bike in london.
frown.gif

i've heard from some of my fellow lab fans in london that they have been having problems with truck drivers talking on cell phones, reading the paper, etc., whilest driving. i understand the penalties for not paying attention while driving are light--even if you hit and kill someone.

May 4, 2003 at 1:09 AM Post #13 of 18
I'd have to agree that Transient Random Noise Bursts is my favorite Stereolabia album, though the artists themselves are not among my favorites because I find them to be distractingly affected in some way. They sound better resonating in the memory than when I listen to them now.

Perhaps it's just that they came to my attention in the days of exotica, when everyone was listening to Stock, Hausen and Walkman, Yma Sumac and Serge Gainsborgh. But when I listen to them, I find myself wanting to hear experimental lounge albums from the sixties instead.

I wonder if many of you have listened to Broadcast, who just put out a new EP (Pendulum) on Warp. They're friends of Plone and carry on the exotica tradition. But what I like about Broadcast (especially on The Noise Made by People) is how deadpan they seem when their vibratoless soubrette sings about being cheerful or depressed. They've managed to avoid completely the sound of self-absorption.

May 4, 2003 at 1:12 AM Post #14 of 18
Can you recommend me some experimental lounge from the 60's?
smily_headphones1.gif

May 4, 2003 at 9:00 AM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by scrypt
Perhaps it's just that they came to my attention in the days of exotica, when everyone was listening to Stock, Hausen and Walkman, Yma Sumac and Serge Gainsborgh. But when I listen to them, I find myself wanting to hear experimental lounge albums from the sixties instead.

I heard Yma Sumac when I ws a child, and I liked her voice.
I was not aware how hip I was ...
biggrin.gif

Any Yma Sumac disc recommendations?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back