Got my eyes fixed!
Jul 15, 2007 at 1:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Nebby

Headphoneus Supremus
Last thursday I had PRK laser surgery on both my eyes. I still can't see totally clearly, but as of yesterday I'm seeing 20/40-ish with both eyes. Surprisingly I had no pain whatsoever and haven't used any of the Percocet that they gave me. I did sleep rather well since the surgery, I feel like I just woke up from hibernation
blink.gif

Jul 15, 2007 at 2:07 PM Post #3 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nebby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Last thursday I had PRK laser surgery on both my eyes. I still can't see totally clearly, but as of yesterday I'm seeing 20/40-ish with both eyes. Surprisingly I had no pain whatsoever and haven't used any of the Percocet that they gave me. I did sleep rather well since the surgery, I feel like I just woke up from hibernation
blink.gif

prk is good choice
i heard lasik flaps never heal and there are people with flap complications that regret throughout their life

Jul 15, 2007 at 2:07 PM Post #4 of 14
Congrats! I have terrible vision for my age (last time I checked it was worse than 20/100). I've been using glasses for the past 7 years and it seems my vision is getting worse and worse every year. Unfortunately, I'm just way too afraid of laser eye surgery. I'm already very sensitive about stuff dealing with eyes (I'll never try contacts because the idea of placing something on my eye is just so frightening, and I think that so many things could go wrong; I could end up scratching my eye, or I might roll my eye and the contact could somehow become lodged behind my eye *shudders*), but laser eye surgery just seems so intense.

Isn't there a chance that you could go blind if something goes wrong? What if you BLINK during the middle of the operation (Unless they use a contraption to keep your eyes open *shudders* I'm practically gagging just thinking about such a contraption)? I could definitely see myself blinking and shutting my eyes tightly even if I knew that doing so would make me blind, mainly due to some OCD and weird quirks I sometimes have (I get some strange urges from time to time, like suddenly wanting to drive off a road into a ditch or something; it's a sort of subconscious urge where I don't consider the consequences). Isn't it also very expensive?

Did you have any of these concerns before the surgery? If so, how did you deal with it?

Jul 15, 2007 at 2:20 PM Post #5 of 14
You literally cannot blink during the operation. They have a gadget that keeps your eye open for the duration, which is something like 10 seconds of actual laser time...don't remember how long it was but you're not under the laser for all that long a time. Not sure what 20/100 converts to in terms of prescription, but my prescription was 4.75 in one eye and 5.00 in the other prior to the surgery.

Jul 15, 2007 at 3:40 PM Post #7 of 14
I was 6.25 in one eye and 6.50 in the other and now I see 20/10. If you want to read a REALLY long tale of my LASIK experience back in 2002, sit back with something to drink and read this. Good luck.
icon10.gif

Oh, and congrats on your new eyes. They will change your life in ways you never thought about.

Jul 15, 2007 at 5:54 PM Post #11 of 14
Congrats on your newfound eyesight.

Jul 15, 2007 at 7:54 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Congrats! I have terrible vision for my age (last time I checked it was worse than 20/100). I've been using glasses for the past 7 years and it seems my vision is getting worse and worse every year. Unfortunately, I'm just way too afraid of laser eye surgery. I'm already very sensitive about stuff dealing with eyes (I'll never try contacts because the idea of placing something on my eye is just so frightening, and I think that so many things could go wrong; I could end up scratching my eye, or I might roll my eye and the contact could somehow become lodged behind my eye *shudders*), but laser eye surgery just seems so intense.

Isn't there a chance that you could go blind if something goes wrong? What if you BLINK during the middle of the operation (Unless they use a contraption to keep your eyes open *shudders* I'm practically gagging just thinking about such a contraption)? I could definitely see myself blinking and shutting my eyes tightly even if I knew that doing so would make me blind, mainly due to some OCD and weird quirks I sometimes have (I get some strange urges from time to time, like suddenly wanting to drive off a road into a ditch or something; it's a sort of subconscious urge where I don't consider the consequences). Isn't it also very expensive?

Did you have any of these concerns before the surgery? If so, how did you deal with it?

damn man, you are very paranoid. You're never really physically touching your eye when you put them in. Pretty much the same when taking them out
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 15, 2007 at 8:09 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hardwired /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was 6.25 in one eye and 6.50 in the other and now I see 20/10. If you want to read a REALLY long tale of my LASIK experience back in 2002, sit back with something to drink and read this. Good luck.
icon10.gif

Thanks for a good read. Some interesting stuff there. Do you know what percentage of people experience the type of blurred night-vision that you have as a result of the surgery?

And to the OP, congrats on the new-found vision!

Jul 15, 2007 at 8:47 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Isn't there a chance that you could go blind if something goes wrong? What if you BLINK during the middle of the operation (Unless they use a contraption to keep your eyes open *shudders* I'm practically gagging just thinking about such a contraption)?

Like Nebby said, it's impossible to blink during the operation. They keep your eyelids pulled open, like in A Clockwork Orange.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back