Got my Etys! Good and Bad.
Dec 15, 2003 at 10:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

davidtoc

Head-Fier
i just got my ER-4Ps today. They are amazing. The first thing i noticed about them is how much softer I can play my ipod and still get the same volume in my ears. Also, the sound quality is phenomenal. A clear upgrade from my e2c's. I even find the rubber tips perfectly comfortable, although I haven't worn them more than a total of 3 hours at this point.

On the downside is the cord noise. Wow. I really figured when people here talked about it that it was just a bunch of picky audiophiles griping about some slight imperfection in sound--no offense!
smily_headphones1.gif
But the noise is considerable. As long as I sit perfectly still, everything'speachy, but even the slightest (and i DO mean *slighest*) movement of the braided part of the cord produces quite a bit of noise in my ears. I'm definitely disappointed in this aspect of the Etymotics.

Oh, and as per my fear, they are indeed somewhat ugly. The red and blue plugs look rather strange, even though they're my school colors (Go Quakers!) and they stick quite far out of my ears. As far as looks go, the Shure's are the hands-down winner, but as many have pointed out, earphones are designed to sound good, not look good. (Still, i say: why not both?)

If I had tested a pair before buying them, I probably would have resisted the purchase, just based on cord noise alone. I'll probably stick with them for a week or two before I decide whether it's a big enough of a drawback to actually return them. Right now I lean toward keeping them. After all, can a person have too many earphones?

Dec 15, 2003 at 10:26 PM Post #3 of 14
Do you have the "newer"cables which are braided?

Scott

PS - Search the forum a bit, people have found some inventive ways to reduce microphonics on the etys.

Dec 15, 2003 at 10:31 PM Post #5 of 14
hey scott,

i'm not sure that you will need to mod them. adam's mod was done on the older version, not the braided one.

i am one of those people who can't understand why people are having such a huge problem with the microphonics (i'm talking about only the newer braided version). if you use the shirt clip, there is absolutley no microphonics no matter how you move around. But, i guess some really can't stand it such as davidtoc here. maybe its just that i'm so used to them but i never had a problem with the microphonics in the beginning either.

Dec 16, 2003 at 12:59 AM Post #6 of 14
actually, i do have the new version w/ the braided cord. It's hard to imagine that the older version was worse than this. My e2c's don't have this problem at all. I'll definitely give the mod a try, AdamZuf! Thanks!

Dec 16, 2003 at 1:16 AM Post #7 of 14
I have good luck keeping the noise down by running it under my shirt instead of on the front.

Dec 16, 2003 at 1:38 AM Post #8 of 14
The surefire way to beat 'microphonics' while walking is to study those 80's "How to Moonwalk" videos and apply it in reverse. Stairs need practice.

I second psycho1. A lot of the 'microphonics' is probably attributable to 'bounce'. Failing that have you tried the shirt clip as a starting point?

Dec 16, 2003 at 1:45 AM Post #9 of 14
I had the opposite response when getting my Etys (braided cord). I thought the microphonics discussions were over exaggerated. Significantly less cord noise than I expected. Discomfort was greater (takes far more getting use to than Grados), but I really thought the microphonics would make walking (my primary use of them) impossible. That wasn't the case at all.

Dec 16, 2003 at 1:45 AM Post #10 of 14
I've never had any problem with the microphonics either. I just used the shirt clip and everything worked out fine. I mostly listened to them in a seated postion, though. I did dislike that when in fact you are walking with them, they tend to lose their seal ever so often especially when I've lubed them.

Well nothings perfect, Be Happy!

Dec 16, 2003 at 2:41 AM Post #11 of 14
I've found the simple loop-over-the-ear "mod" to almost eliminate microphonics--even at the gym!
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 16, 2003 at 4:53 AM Post #12 of 14
To reiterate what others have wisely said, use the shirt clip up high, and the cords should kind of hang in front of you out of the way for most motion. I use them in a lab where I move around a lot and rarely hear any microphonic effects.

Dec 16, 2003 at 6:05 AM Post #13 of 14
Also wiring it behind the ears is the easiest way to reduce the microphonic noise, and for me ,the most effective way.
Quote:

Originally posted by ASDFer
To reiterate what others have wisely said, use the shirt clip up high, and the cords should kind of hang in front of you out of the way for most motion. I use them in a lab where I move around a lot and rarely hear any microphonic effects.

Dec 19, 2003 at 6:35 PM Post #14 of 14
Thanks for that mod--works great at the gym! I have the braided cords, and I still had cord noise before this...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back