got my etymotic er6i's today
Nov 9, 2006 at 12:35 AM Post #4 of 10
As you mentioned, you have to "burn in" your ears, too. It took me a while with the Etymotics, as it's so far removed from what I had come to expect. It can be a real change to "listen for" the bass, and to hear how bass is played/recorded.

It can still be odd changing back and forth between Etymotics and, for example, Sennheiser PX 100s, but I've learned to appreciate various headphones for what they do for me in a particular environment.

I'm glad you're off to a good start with your new purchase.

Nov 9, 2006 at 10:49 PM Post #5 of 10
taking these things out can be scary

the earphones are hard to grasp. one of the flanges actually broke off inside my ear just now, hahaha. almost had to get the tweezers. i wonder if theres anything practical i can attach to them.

the sound quality is good. honestly, the bass is just fine. its not lacking at all. instead, i'm finding that there is a slight lack of treble. i'm probably just spoiled by the sound in my car and the computer
plainface.gif
. but i find if i turn my volume up, that solves the problem a bit. which leads me to my question

i'm still a bit scared of damage my hearing. because the earphones are closer to my ear, do i still have to keep it relatively low (i heard that the closer the sound, the more dangerous, something along those lines)? I'm using a creative zen touch, i have the volume at 8 out of 25. if i turn up to 10, i get a little nervous, but the sound is noticibly better.

Nov 10, 2006 at 2:11 AM Post #7 of 10
Hi. When I got my er6is some months ago my first impression was also that the isolation was really good. I thought the treble was ok but I felt a bit of lack in the bass department. After a few weeks of using them every day on the trip to the university I felt my ears were much more accustomed to the IEMs.
So my advice is give it a few days. The er6i's were my first IEMs and as I said it
took some time for them to grow on me, and that just might be the case for you too.
etysmile.gif

Nov 10, 2006 at 2:30 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by scottymac
taking these things out can be scary

the earphones are hard to grasp. one of the flanges actually broke off inside my ear just now, hahaha. almost had to get the tweezers. i wonder if theres anything practical i can attach to them.

I know what you mean. It took me some practice to dislodge them safely without worrying about damaging the cords.

Try slightly twisting them first with your finger tips to break the seal before pulling them out. This will also keep the tips from popping off due to the suction sometimes created from the seal.

Nov 10, 2006 at 4:04 PM Post #9 of 10
They are my first IEMs and no major regrets. I just wish I bought em cheaper. I see on here that they go used for ~$60USD.

Only things I don't like is how easily the cord tangles and the fact that they seem frail and delicate.

I find taking them out to be easy when pulling up my ear to expand the size of the canal and make it easy to pull out. I put them in in the same fashion as well.

I too find the bass to be not as bad as some would claim. But its always so subjective right!?

Nov 10, 2006 at 4:05 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by uzziah
isolation is a godsend on bus, train, plain, noisy dorm; you pay for it, but it can totally change your travel

I can hear quite well on transit with my IPOD even though the volume bar is so low that I can just barely see it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back