Got my ER-4P's today!
Jan 25, 2005 at 6:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

IpodSF

100+ Head-Fier
Well I got them today just as expected. Thank you Earsonic! Your expedite service and great prices are much apprecaited!

First, I took them out... put them in my ears and turned on my the music out of my iPod. Wow... these suck. I'm almost thinking about returning these. For $200 I expected much more.

Now 5 minutes later I don't know WHAT the hell happened but it's like it "clicked" for say. After five minutes of warn up it sounded spectacular. I was finally hearing the truly great sound I was told about by many fellow members.

As of now these are a bit unconfortable but the more I listen to them the better it gets. I'm sure it's unconfortable for now considering I have never used canalphones before although I am sure I will eventually get used to it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Beyond the incredible sound that everyone knows about, they can clean your ears as well!
eek.gif
That's right folks. Not only are they great earphones but they will clean your ears each and everytime you put them on! See, you put them on and then after you pull them out you see the pound of wax attached to the silicon pieces. Isn't that great!?!?! The ER-4P's act as an earcleaner too. Man I would have bought these just for this!!!
tongue.gif

Amazing though.... I never thought I had as much wax as I did. HAHA! I have extremely clean ears (I guess from the outside) but down deep it's all nasty you can say, ha. Good thing for my ER-4P's.
tongue.gif

Jan 25, 2005 at 6:58 PM Post #2 of 24
the phones probably settled into your ear canals, going from no seal to a good seal. once you get used to them, you'll be able to get that perfect seal effortlessly. and they do become comfortable. i've worn mine for at least 8 hours every day since i got them with no discomfort. congrats on great phones
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 25, 2005 at 7:01 PM Post #3 of 24
CLEAN YOUR EARS.

Seriously, use a Q-tip with some baby oil or something and just go nuts. If you get enough wax in your ears, it is possible to lose significant amounts of hearing.

Jan 25, 2005 at 7:17 PM Post #4 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by MD1032
CLEAN YOUR EARS.

Seriously, use a Q-tip with some baby oil or something and just go nuts. If you get enough wax in your ears, it is possible to lose significant amounts of hearing.

most doctors i've talked to have suggested not cleaning your ears at all, so i don't know if it is a problem for normal people.

Jan 25, 2005 at 7:32 PM Post #5 of 24
I just got mine today too! I'm taking a break from listening to them to watch some tv, although I don't really want to. I was actually surprised at how easily I could get these in and they do sound fantastic once you get a good seal. I was listening to a jazz cd I just got from a concert and it sounds as good as the first row. My only real dissappointment is the amount of earwax I had! It's better now though. I'm very happy, I've just been playing around a lot trying to get the perfect fit.

Jan 25, 2005 at 7:42 PM Post #7 of 24
Quote:

CLEAN YOUR EARS.

Yeah, listen to this guy. I've got a cerumen impaction in my left ear and I've been trying to remove it for months, but it's very slow going. And I can't go to the doctor about it because my insurance is being a pain in the rear. Or should I say ear...?

Jan 25, 2005 at 8:26 PM Post #8 of 24
Quote:

I'm sure it's unconfortable for now considering I have never used canalphones before although I am sure I will eventually get used to it.

I had never used a canalphone before buying my Ety 4Ps. I found them to be uncomfortable at first. It probably took three or four days before I became comfortable with them.

Now, I can usually get a good seal within a few seconds. However, there are times when I have trouble getting a good seal in my left ear. The left ear canal must be slightly wider than the right canal. Also, sometimes the seal breaks if I happen to move a certain way. I find that to be very annoying at times.

Jan 25, 2005 at 9:04 PM Post #9 of 24
I've used the Ety ER4Ps for a while and as was said before, the secret to both sound AND extended comfort is a good seal. To get that seal with the silicone flanges, try putting a single drop of Oto-ease (Westone product), KY liquid, etc. in the palm of your hand and roll the Ety's in the stuff to get a light coating on the silicone. (Note: Don't push the Ety's through or you'll risk getting lube into the end and clogging the filters.)

I've also heard that you can use extra virgin olive oil for a lubricant but I can't vouch for it. The Oto-ease is fairly widely availabe and costs maybe $4 - $5 USD...a small bottle lasts forever...

The light coating of lube only takes a couple of seconds and will make it MUCH easier to (a) slide in Ety's in and (b) get a good seal.
etysmile.gif

Jan 25, 2005 at 9:19 PM Post #10 of 24
Quote:

CLEAN YOUR EARS.

LOL! Honestly though I have some of the cleanest ears I have ever seen because I am anal about my apperance.
smily_headphones1.gif

I will try and clean them out a bit and see if anything happens but I don't know I will get much. The ER-4P's already took care of it. Hah!
tongue.gif

I was told by my doctor though never to use a Q-tip in my ear to get out wax or anything of this sort. I know it's the first thing you thing of when you think about getting rid of ear wax but he told me all it does is jam it futher up your ear canal.

Jan 25, 2005 at 9:20 PM Post #11 of 24
Tomorrow I've got a 5 hour flight to LA which will be fun with the ER-4P's.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 25, 2005 at 9:24 PM Post #12 of 24
Guys, the only way to really clean your ears (without seeing a physician) is to use one of those purpose made kits you find at a drug-store. Putting a Q-tip in your ear is bad, you clean out the surface wax while pushing the wax in your canal even further in and impacting it ever more. Don't trust me, ask your friendly neighborhood audiologist, throat/ear/nose doctor, hollistic healer, etc. Or do trust me - I've been plagued by wax problems for about 5 years now, the culmination of spending way too many nights at clubs grooving right next to the speakers. Naturally your body produces more wax to combat excessive sound; mine went a bit crazy. I've gone as long as 6 months at a time with both ears impacted to the point where I can hardly do activities such as talk on the phone. If you've got a serious issue like I do it can take 1+ months of daily applications to break through the wax. I've had to go through this way too many times - if you have this issue and clear it up, maintenance use of cleaner is recommended every few months.

EDIT: Found this nice little article on ear maintenance

"Whatever you do, don't poke a cotton swab into your ear. A swab may remove a little wax, but it's also likely to push some deeper into the ear canal. Because the canal is hourglass-shaped, earwax can create a plug that won't come out on its own. Most of my patients with impacted earwax created the problem themselves with cotton swabs."

"To remove excess wax, you'll need a kit of wax-dissolving drops and a rubber bulb syringe, both of which are available at almost any pharmacy. The kits usually come with instructions, which you should follow carefully. "

"Remember not to use cotton swabs in your ears, and the chances are they'll take good care of themselves. "

http://my.webmd.com/content/article/42/1685_50320

Jan 25, 2005 at 9:49 PM Post #13 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by IpodSF
First, I took them out... put them in my ears and turned on my the music out of my iPod. Wow... these suck. I'm almost thinking about returning these. For $200 I expected much more.

HAHA, Yea, totally. I think most people have experienced the same feelings. I pulled mine off right away. Put my ipod on shuffle repeat and let it play for a day or so. After that, wow. There great. You might also want to try the THX Bass test thing. It opened up the bass on my ety's overnight.
Quote:

Originally Posted by IpodSF
As of now these are a bit uncomfortable but the more I listen to them the better it gets. I'm sure it's uncomfortable for now considering I have never used canal phones before although I am sure I will eventually get used to it.

I'm still turned off by the tri-flanges. I love the foamies though. + buy a 100sack of them if you let your waxy friend try out your ety's give the foamies to him to use
etysmile.gif

Have fun with them. Welcome to team Ety!

j-

Jan 25, 2005 at 10:00 PM Post #14 of 24
Had the 'over did it with the Q-tip' thing a few years ago... THIS stuff shifted it within a week - a couple of drops in each ear before bed,put a 'lil cotton wool ball in your ears,sleep,prepare to be grossed out the next morning!
eek.gif
It fizzes and pops when it's in your ear -weird sensation yet strangely pleasant!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back