Got my E500 but woe is me...
Jan 27, 2007 at 4:29 PM Post #16 of 25
Quote:

I think HD280 (with some EQing) has a phenomenal bass, and beats the Shure, at least for now.

If you think that the HD280 has superior bass and better isolation than the E500 (along with your numerous other issues) I'd say something is definitely wrong. I'd guess that you are working against some kind of seal problem or perhaps need to experiment some more with finding the proper tips.

Jan 27, 2007 at 7:31 PM Post #17 of 25
Thanks for your replies. I found that moving the Med. size tips upwards toward the ear canal improves the seal and very much the bass. Now I am not concerned too much about sound (it is sounding as it should to be) but the isolation is only slightly better than the HD280. Hmm.. I guess I will have to experiment more. One thing, however, is that when I change tips, it feels like I am damaging the tips, because I have to force them in.

Jan 27, 2007 at 9:21 PM Post #19 of 25
how did the static in the right side go away?

For me at least, the upside down around the ear gave the best fit, deepest insertion, best seal. I have to use the small size. If you can't get it deeper, maybe you need to try a smaller sized tip.

Jan 28, 2007 at 12:34 AM Post #20 of 25
The buzz was actually from a clipping problem on my amp.

I very much like the sound better now, maybe slightly bloated midrange(?), but besides very impressive.

After much experimentation, I found the yellow foamies to have best seal. But i still haven't figured how to open the battery port on PTH! Maybe it's jammed?

Jan 28, 2007 at 4:18 AM Post #21 of 25
It's probably not jammed. Use your finger nail. Push down and pull the cover at the bottom towards the center of the bottom of the PTH. It should now open. I had to use a tiny bit of force the first time.

Jan 28, 2007 at 5:39 AM Post #22 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Marasmus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's probably not jammed. Use your finger nail. Push down and pull the cover at the bottom towards the center of the bottom of the PTH. It should now open. I had to use a tiny bit of force the first time.

ouch... nearly broke my nail, but finally got it open. Thanks.

Jan 28, 2007 at 8:10 AM Post #23 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Shure is a good company, and if you purchased them from an authorized reseller, they will certainly replace them for you. So let's hope you did. It's not worth buying them on eBay from someone who is selling them for $50 less than you could buy them at a store but without the warranty.

Shure will honor warranty on e500s without a receipt, according to their website, just FWIW. ("If you do not have a receipt and cannot remember if your earphones were purchased within 2 years we can go by the product number on the connector of the earphones." They do, however, warn against buying on eBay because of scams, etc. - First item in the Knowledge Base link: http://shure.com/PersonalAudio/Custo...port/index.htm)

Quote:

Originally Posted by derek8555 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so I would say the opposite of what kevinbk have told you

Whoops, yes, actually, do the opposite of what I said.
wink.gif
Thanks Derek.

Jan 28, 2007 at 7:42 PM Post #24 of 25
So yes these headphones are good, so I went back to my HD280 for the first time; they sounded awful, so much that I thought something was wrong. So this got me thinking: I used to think the Senns sounded very good, but now, they are terrible. In relative happiness, i don't think I am any happier than before, even as my wallet is 350 dollars lighter. So, the question is: is ignorance bliss? Or do we seek the truth...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back