got my E4s yesterday, here's what I think so far
Aug 11, 2005 at 2:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

brian183

100+ Head-Fier
Out of the box I wasn't at all wowed of the SQ from the E4 but I was very pleased with the amount isolation I get now and that I listen at level 13-15 on my X5 instead of 18-20 on my MS1's. After trying out all the different sleeves with the E4's I think I like the foamies the best because it forms a really good seal and is very comfortable. I think the triple flange was pretty good too but it kind of feels like it's too big for my ears even though it's making a great seal. As for the sound of the E4's...I think they're a bit bass shy (even from my X5). It's weird though, The low end (the part of the bass end that thumps your ear) is there but the mid to hi bass isn't there too much and I could go for more. Hopefully it'll come out after burn in. I noticed the mids and highs are very excellent and couldnt possibly get any better. I can't wait till burn in is done
smily_headphones1.gif

I think I'll be using the foam sleeves from now on but how long do these sleeves last? Also, I've seen somewhere on this forum a way to make foamies for canalphones using the ear plugs they sell at walmart. Has anyone tried this for the E4?

Aug 11, 2005 at 4:51 AM Post #2 of 13
Glad you enjoy Shure e4c.

By the way, can you tell us a little bit about how shure e4c compared to MS1?

Aug 11, 2005 at 7:23 AM Post #3 of 13
Balanced Armature drivers aren't really supposed to burn in, but I swear I've heard burn in with the E5, SF5P and E4. Anyway, if your experience is like mine, the bass will definately come around. I still can't get over how sweet these things sound...
biggrin.gif

Aug 11, 2005 at 8:22 AM Post #4 of 13
have had mine for a week now and am definately noticing a bass improvement over time. btw, the foams can be washed with warm soapy water (liquid hand soap works well) and dried out to be nearly as good as new. i am using the same foams i had for my e3s for a good 6 months (set of 5, rotating a week a set)

Aug 11, 2005 at 10:13 AM Post #7 of 13
I always like a bit of bass lift on my canal phones especially for use out
and about as ambient noise can mask the lows in some environments.

The thing is I always read about peoples need for more/great deeper/slamming etc bass
on these forums but
rarely [sometimes it seems ] much else.

How about the highs?
I find the E4 rolled off or too pumped in the mids.
I enjoy the E4's and have been listening to mine everyday instead of my
Stax4040 setup at the moment,and with a bit of low end boost they are
punchy fun phones .
biggrin.gif

But they would certainly benefit from a bit more up top [or less mid] to
open things up and add some more delicacy to the sound.
As for other Shure phones I have had a brief listen to the E5 a while back
and that seemed to share a similar rolled off sound.[but more so]
Strange thing the Shure house sound.
confused.gif

My usual portable listening is with my modded Ety ER4 phones and these are far
closer to the Stax in hf reproduction, though sometimes a pinch of the shure lower
mid treatment would be nice for both the stax and Ety.
But on the whole I find the above phones a more natural presentation than
the Shure one.

Anyhow, Brian I hope you acclimatize to your new phones, with a touch of low
end boost they are great fun.

Aug 11, 2005 at 11:10 AM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by arielext
nope, I have done the same thing for my UM2's for months on.

Now owning ES2's I won't have to do that anymore
smily_headphones1.gif

Wow, an ES2 owner who also has UM2's. It would be really appreciated if you could give us some impressions of the ES2's because there is very little information on these custom IEM's as yet. A comparison with the UM2's would also be very beneficial and appreciated.

Aug 11, 2005 at 11:31 AM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by elnero
Wow, an ES2 owner who also has UM2's. It would be really appreciated if you could give us some impressions of the ES2's because there is very little information on these custom IEM's as yet. A comparison with the UM2's would also be very beneficial and appreciated.

See http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showt...07#post1541807 so won't mess up this E4 topic
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 11, 2005 at 8:33 PM Post #12 of 13
Actually I believe the bass is coming out more and more. I've been listening to them all day at work since 8am..it's now 3:20. I think the foams are really helping the sound get to my ear because these phones don't sound as good with the other sleeves.

As far as E4 is compared to the MS1...I think the MS1 has a much fuller sound but I think people listening to the E4 can be more analytical than they would while listening to an MS1. Therefore I would say the E4 is more linear than the MS1 in terms of sound reproduced. The MS1 brings out the best in music I think while the E4 brings out everything (good and bad). heh I'm getting a little confused now with my comparisons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back