Got my Dayton BR-1's (Pics)
Feb 17, 2006 at 4:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

xluben

500+ Head-Fier

After spending a night in my apartment's office I finally got my packages from Parts Express. Free shipping and it only took two days!

I'm sure the first thing you will notice is how un-ideal my listening situation is
biggrin.gif
But that's all I have right now, so I'm gonna live with it.

Right after I got my packages (8:30AM when the office opened), I had to go to class (9:00AM), so I had to leave my speakers after only a few minutes with them. When I got back from class I couldn't help myself from putting them together (even though I had a Calc test at 5:30, which didn't go well by the way). When I started putting them together the first thing I did was take the grills off the enclosures, and pop, one of the ball/socket things broke off. I was even being careful not to break them!

Anyways, the crossovers were super easy to put together, and I got all the wires set up, and then I had to cut the foam. This did not go very well, I guess I'm just not good at cutting foam. I eventually got most of the insides of the cabinets covered and screwed in the drivers (why not pre-drilled?).

I hooked them up and at first I was very dissappointed with the bass, but then I turned them up, and wow, the bass was there. It was strong and very tight (way better than my subwoofer).

I still have two satellites and my sub hooked up to one set of outputs on my reciever so I can to A/B testing, and the Dayton's sound much better all around. They sound more 'alive' and also much more balanced. The satellites and sub manage to sound thin in the mids/highs, and loose in the bass, while the Dayton's are much better throughout. And they sound GREAT when I turn them up a little.

Overall, I'm happy with my purchase. They were a good deal, fun to put together, and I'm pleased with how they sound.

I'd like to make the grills attach magnetically, and I tried cutting small pieces of magnetic tape, but they weren't strong enough to hold up the grills. Any suggestions on a good way to do this?

Feb 17, 2006 at 4:40 AM Post #3 of 18
that was the perfect thing i was interested in hearing, i am going to pull the trigger on some bookshelves and was leaning toward those daytons, you say the bass is good though? that is the biggest thing I was worried about, also I will be rocking these through my comp (x-fi soundcard) will I just need a little t-amp? what are you using?

Feb 17, 2006 at 4:55 AM Post #4 of 18
At low volumes the bass is much less than I was listening to with my satellites and 12", 200 watt subwoofer, but with the Dayton's the bass IS there, it's just in correct proportion to the rest of the frequency range (unlike I was used to).

My source is a vintage Marantz Model 2240B:

It has 40 watts per channel and powers them nicely. I have noticed that there is some scratchiness when turning the volume knob at around the 12 o'clock mark. It's not there when you are not adjusting the volume, though, so it's not a big deal.

Feb 17, 2006 at 5:45 PM Post #5 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by xluben

I'd like to make the grills attach magnetically, and I tried cutting small pieces of magnetic tape, but they weren't strong enough to hold up the grills. Any suggestions on a good way to do this?

For my DIY sub, I tried just using regular mags and they weren't strong enough - I ended up using those tiny "rare earth magnets" and they stuck well. I think ratshack might sell them at some overpriced cost.

Feb 17, 2006 at 7:45 PM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by bpm2000
For my DIY sub, I tried just using regular mags and they weren't strong enough - I ended up using those tiny "rare earth magnets" and they stuck well. I think ratshack might sell them at some overpriced cost.

I was thinking of getting these:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshow...5&ctab=15#Tabs

But if I can find some strong magents locally I'd rather just do that. I'll check out Radioshack (Wal Mart, Target had nothing).

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilikemonkeys
just out of curiosity, are you glad you didn't get the towers? Do you get enough bass from the monitors?

B

Short answer: Yes
Long answer: Yes, but....

The positives:
I really do like how these sound.
They actually seem pretty bassy with Rock songs at moderate volumes.
VERY cheap!
Fun to put together.
They are about all I have space for anyways.

BUT....
With this much bass coming out a 6.5" it leaves me wondering what a MTM or floorstander with dual 6.5's (or 8's or 10's) could do
biggrin.gif

I can without a doubt, say that I am happy with my speakers, but I don't know if I'd be more or less happy with cheap floorstanders.

Due to cost and size alone, I am pretty sure I made the right decision for my current circumstances.

Feb 17, 2006 at 11:18 PM Post #10 of 18
neodymium, yea, those were it.

Feb 18, 2006 at 8:59 PM Post #11 of 18
Congrats xluben, glad you like them.
cool.gif

Mar 4, 2006 at 11:56 PM Post #12 of 18
Hey instead of your other project, why don't you upgrade these speakers with the Dayton Reference drivers, and a new crossover designed for those drivers? I have a Dayton Reference bookshelf I built and they are simply amazing. Top of the line stuff!

Mar 5, 2006 at 7:16 PM Post #13 of 18
Because the whole point of the other project was to be made in addition to these and to be used in sperate situations. Next year the BR-1's will still be my normal listening speakers that will be in my office, but I'd like to the larger, bassier, less good sounding Golden Boys in the living room for parties or just hanging out.

Mar 5, 2006 at 9:56 PM Post #14 of 18
I think your speaker setup is somewhat short of optimal. I'd keep them away from that notebook and its hard drive if I were you.
tongue.gif

They look great, though. Does the enclosure have a mount for a foam cover?

Mar 5, 2006 at 11:11 PM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Twombly
I think your speaker setup is somewhat short of optimal. I'd keep them away from that notebook and its hard drive if I were you.
tongue.gif

They look great, though. Does the enclosure have a mount for a foam cover?

Yeah, I'm a little short on space in my current place. I hope to get them on stands next to the desk in my next apartment.

What do you mean by a foam cover? Do you mean grills? Because they do have grills (and I always have them on, but took them off for the pics).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back