Got my C2s yesterday, first impressions
Apr 22, 2009 at 2:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

D2X2903

New Head-Fier
I'm coming from E3cs and KSC50s. I got my C2s yesterday and wanted to share my impressions. I wanted clarity above all else, but also stronger bass than my E3cs provided.

My first try at fitting these IEMs was frustrating. I tried the medium gels, the large dual-flange, the large gels, and back to the medium gels. The medium gels give me the best fit but I'm still playing around with different tips. The seal the medium gels is very fragile. I've found that the E3c medium tips fit the C2s and provide a much better seal and better isolation but I haven't figured out how exactly they affect the sound.

Once I got a good seal with the medium gels, my very first impression was that these phones have a very warm sound. The bass is much stronger than I had expected - some songs made me feel as though there was a sub in my head. I wish the mids and highs were more pronounced; I'll have to mess with my Zen Vision:M's EQ more to see if I can improve them.

The cable is SO annoying. It's short, barely reaching from my pocket. It's also extremely loud - the braided cable is stiff and catches on my hair, making any head movement very pronounced. The earpieces are pretty comfortable but need to be positioned just right or else they dig into my ears.

Hopefully burn in will alleviate some of the problems with the mids and highs. I really like listening to rap/hip-hop on these (hadn't typically listened to it before) but stuff like Tool is where I notice the lacking mids and highs.

This sounds more negative than I meant it to be. I think I'm getting used to the sound signature of the C2s - they're much different from the flatter, colder? clearer sound of the E3cs but they're enjoyable in their own right. Not sure if the Turbines are much better (mids and highs seem to be the hidden surprise for them behind the much touted bass) but I think I'd have gotten those if I knew how the C2s sound before I bought.

Hope this helps someone.

Apr 22, 2009 at 3:41 AM Post #3 of 11
Let me know how the return goes - I may do the same.

Apr 22, 2009 at 1:34 PM Post #7 of 11
It's my fault really. I originally intended to NOT get over the ear IEM's unless they were stellar, so in the back of my mind I was concerned about the fact the Custom2 were over the ear. I was correct, it still kind of bothers me.

Apr 22, 2009 at 2:45 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by D2X2903 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not sure if the Turbines are much better (mids and highs seem to be the hidden surprise for them behind the much touted bass) but I think I'd have gotten those if I knew how the C2s sound before I bought.

To me the bass on the Turbines over powers the mids and the overall sound lacks clarity. I haven't heard the Custom 2 so can't offer any comparison.

Apr 22, 2009 at 2:59 PM Post #9 of 11
I wasn't overly impressed with the Klipsch on first try. Should work at it a bit more, but the cord thing is keeping me from, well, keeping them. I was thinking about trying the Turbines next unless someone has a different solution.

Apr 22, 2009 at 3:35 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by volntitan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wasn't overly impressed with the Klipsch on first try. Should work at it a bit more, but the cord thing is keeping me from, well, keeping them. I was thinking about trying the Turbines next unless someone has a different solution.

I bought my pair from Future Shop in Canada, I know Future Shop and Best Buy are linked. Although the Bestbuy website doesn't list these phones on their site neither does Future Shop. So these may be a new item for both stores. If you live near a BestBuy you might want to call and see if they have these in stock. If so check with them in regards to their return policy, if they are like Future Shop they will have a 14 day return policy so you can take them back if you don't like them.

May 13, 2009 at 4:56 PM Post #11 of 11
I want to update this with my thoughts about the C2s given a listening period approaching a month. I didn't return the C2s for a few reasons, among them laziness, but most importantly because I noticed that with subsequent listens I began to enjoy their sound. I no longer remember exactly what my E3Cs sound like but I am more satisfied with these IEMs than I remember being with the E3Cs. The bass is healthy, the mids are strong, and the highs are alright. I also tried different tips including the soft rubber tips from my E3Cs - great for isolation and no noticeable change in sound - and the largest gel tips from Klipsch and have settled on the latter. The better seal also helps with comfort and sound quality. I have adjusted to the sound signature and for the most part am really glad I bought these.

The microphonics are a bit annoying but I've found that cord noise can be minimized by sinching the cord management thing all the way up to my head, pulling the cords from the IEMs taught.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back