Got my Blue Dragon recabled KSC-35's!
Apr 12, 2006 at 11:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

Dizee

New Head-Fier
Here are some pictures (crappy webcam):

foto15sj.jpg

foto22qu.jpg

foto61et.jpg

I'm not audiophile at all, this is the start of building my first portable rig! all I can say now is that they sound nice out of the box
tongue.gif
The bass is very strong! The clips are a little uncomfortable at the moment though, they'll form to my ears right? I'm using these only with my Archos Gmini 402.

Thank you Drew!

Apr 12, 2006 at 11:48 AM Post #2 of 30
I'm not sure how much re-cabling headphones cost, but I ordered a Black Dragon iPod Line-Out adapter / interconnect, and it wasn't what I'd call inexpensive.

Is it worth re-cabling inexpensive headphones? What is the benefit of re-cabling headphones of any price?

Sorry for my ignorance.

Apr 12, 2006 at 11:50 AM Post #3 of 30
Congrats! If the clips don't do it for you, in the future you can always get a portapro for 12 bucks at J&R and just snap those recabled drivers into the headband. That way, the heavier/more rigid recable won't shift the drivers around on your ears, like the clips will allow. Then you can pop the portapro drivers onto your clips and bingo, you have an emergency backup can that sounds pretty good stock!

I found it to be worth recabling - a recent minimeet found "The Burninator" to improve upon the stock cans significantly, and beat the SR60s (which were very nice that day) and rumors were some even preferred it over the HF-1 (you didn't hear it from me folks!) Mine were recabled with Silver Dragon.

BurnBlack.JPG

Apr 12, 2006 at 12:08 PM Post #4 of 30
I think I will do that. My only problem is that J&R doesn't ship to the Netherlands
mad.gif
. Cheapest for me is:

PortaPro : 45 dollar
PortaPro2 : 39 dollar

Is the comfort setting helping you, or is it better to save the money and take the PortaPro2..?

Apr 12, 2006 at 12:13 PM Post #5 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dizee
I think I will do that. My only problem is that J&R doesn't ship to the Netherlands
mad.gif
. Cheapest for me is:

PortaPro : 45 dollar
PortaPro2 : 39 dollar

Is the comfort setting helping you, or is it better to save the money and take the PortaPro2..?

Well I do use the comfort setting when I wear a hat - I set it to medium. Hmm, you could always just buy a cheapy headband after you check that you can pop the drivers in, but I still prefer getting a portapro since that way you have decent backup stock drivers too!

Apr 12, 2006 at 1:20 PM Post #6 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
I found it to be worth recabling - a recent minimeet found "The Burninator" to improve upon the stock cans significantly, and beat the SR60s (which were very nice that day) and rumors were some even preferred it over the HF-1 (you didn't hear it from me folks!) Mine were recabled with Silver Dragon.

Damn you Burninator!

*shakes fist*

My SR60s will rise again!

Apr 12, 2006 at 3:23 PM Post #8 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dizee
The clips are a little uncomfortable at the moment though, they'll form to my ears right?

Thank you Drew!

Nope!! The KSC35 earclips can not be (easily) bent to conform to your ears. You could probably get creative with a heat gun.... But I wouldn't recommend it. You'll just have to deal with the pain. The other alternative would be to snap KSC75 earhooks on them. Ive never tried this either though.

Thats the main reason I usually recommend the KSC75 over the 35.

Apr 12, 2006 at 3:25 PM Post #9 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by TooNice
Lol, isn't the cable more expensive than the phones?
biggrin.gif

LOL
biggrin.gif
yes and no. When you consider the cable is a mere ~$30 in parts it works out equal
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Apr 13, 2006 at 2:06 PM Post #12 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by TooNice
Lol, isn't the cable more expensive than the phones?
biggrin.gif

I was thinking: How can I compete with all the people on this forum who have got 10-20 headphones.. I haven't got the money to buy so many.. So I decided to do something crazy
biggrin.gif
! I bought KSC-35's and a cable upgrade that's three times more expensive
tongue.gif

Edit: actually, it's four times more expensive
biggrin.gif

Apr 13, 2006 at 2:16 PM Post #13 of 30
I recabled mine with Mogami, and I noticed a very nice gain in bass control and high end sparkle. It really helped to balance these little buggers' tonal qualities.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back