@patricklang -- I really like your avatar
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Oh, and welcome to club K501 :k501smilie:

-kaitsuburi

Oct 22, 2004 at 11:08 PM Post #17 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
Anyone wanna send a AKG K-501 to me in Florida for the October 23 FL meet?

Cheers!

find me a place around south florida that sells them and i will buy a pair
smily_headphones1.gif

i really miss my AKG K-301's

hrmm

here you go have a smilie
wink.gif

501.jpg

Oct 23, 2004 at 1:25 PM Post #19 of 22
something quite similar happened to me as well.
The 501 seems to present sounstage in an effortless expanse, much wider than any other headphone, very natural too.
Comfortable and the pads will loosen up later on after some use.
Don't ever sell them cause you will only end up buying them again

Dec 3, 2004 at 2:08 AM Post #21 of 22
Hate blowing dust off old threads, but I need to add this for posterity:

Going from 1 to 2 buffers per channel was well worth it with the 501's. They like power.

AD8066 seems to have pretty good synergy with the 501. I haven't gone back and forth enough yet on enough songs to say for sure, but it seems a bit more natural sounding than the 8620.

Dec 3, 2004 at 4:33 PM Post #22 of 22
Hi patrick,

I think there's no other fons like k501. Give them 100+ burn-in time and synergetic amping is really must! When I got k501 for the first time, I was frustrated with hollowness in ceter image. With right amp this sympton was gone. I tried perreaux which sounded thin and shallow. Then I plugged it into mcintosh c28 which sounded fatter and richer. Alas I connected perreaux into mcintosh tape-out which sounded balanced and deeper.

Another trick is using mild equalization to compensate the vertical sound depth. Its wide soundstage is wonderful, but I always felt it lacked in depth like male vocal, organ, etc. Quickly there was some improvements.

I believe some members also switched headphone cable to render fuller and richer sound. Never done that, but I regret not doing it as well. If hd580/600/650 get their cable mod, why not k501 to extract every bit. These headphones deserve cable mod!

Quote:

Kunwar, Don't ever sell them cause you will only end up buying them again

I recently traded k501 for hd580...Already I'm having a second thought about buying them again. Only reason stopping me is the desire to upgrade to k1000 in the future.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back