Got my AKG-K1000's today...
Apr 13, 2002 at 10:30 PM Post #32 of 44
Quote:

Originally posted by Jon Beilin
LOL! The K1000s and the stax earspeakers are sooo ugly... but apparently they sound pretty good... has anyone hooked the k1000s up to a ZOTL? It may be the ugliest combo ever, but I'd bet it sounds good.

I've already emailed David Berning whether the Zotl could drive the AGK1000 and they are way underpowered for this task which tells how inefficient those phones are if you consider that the Zotl can drive efficient speakers.

Apr 13, 2002 at 10:44 PM Post #33 of 44
Quote:

Originally posted by Nick Dangerous
Hey man... Stax is way uglier than the K1000!

Uhhh, I resemble that remark, Nick.......
wink.gif

Apr 14, 2002 at 1:05 AM Post #35 of 44
It isn't really a matter of power, since the K-1000 can be driven very loud with 1 watt/channel. The problem is that most amps are designed for 4-8 ohms. They run into voltage clipping long before they can deliver any significant current to these cans.

Protect your drivers

remember

"Don't drive distorted!"

gerG

Apr 14, 2002 at 1:10 AM Post #36 of 44
Quote:

Originally posted by Nick Dangerous
Hey man... Stax is way uglier than the K1000!

No way! Most staxes are ugly but the Omega 2 headphones look friggin' cool!

Apr 16, 2002 at 7:38 AM Post #39 of 44
Well, I've just returned from my trip and just opened up my k1000. I have to say I do like the box, wish they all came like this.
I've just hooked it up to my blue Zotl and is pleasantly surprised at how good they sound despite all the negative comments I've heard about the pairing. I think at a polite listening volume, the combo is quite good. However, if I go past the 1:00 position, then distortion starts to creep in.

Also, I find the fit to be quite distracting as I'm always afraid of having them fall off. And they do feel like they'll fall off. By the way, I've only had them on for about ten minutes or so.

I'll be receiving the ASL AQ1005DTI next week and I'll comment more on that. Thus far, the K1000 are definite keepers. I think its time to start getting rid off the rest of my other cans, except for the HD600/cardas of course.

Apr 16, 2002 at 9:50 AM Post #40 of 44
Ok, still up and playing with my new toy instead of hitting the sack. Just a note... I'm starting to get a headache from these temple pads. The fit really has become uncomfortable to say the least.

Apr 16, 2002 at 9:50 AM Post #41 of 44
Ok, still up and playing with my new toy instead of hitting the sack. Just a note... I'm starting to get a headache from these temple pads. The fit really has become uncomfortable to say the least.

Apr 16, 2002 at 1:59 PM Post #42 of 44
aeberbach,
Your KID A + K1000 comment really made me want to get a pair of the K1000's. I live in NYC also, if there is anything I have that you would be vaguely interested in listening to (S9000ES SACD, or Corda) I'd be willing to supply it in return for a listen.

Apr 16, 2002 at 5:43 PM Post #43 of 44
Quote:

Originally posted by Neruda

I had the same impression when I first heard them, but when paired with the right amp (whatever that may be; I'm sure they sound good with many), the peaks and harshness are nonexistent. they're the cleanest, most accurate headphones I've had the luck to listen to extensively. The sound is seamless.

I couldn't agree more, Neruda. I'm running mine with a Yamaha A1000 (Class A, 10W) and the sound is superb. I'm also using a Sony SA-WM40 sub, but it's certainly not needed to appreciate the K1000.

Now all I need is a travel bag to hold this 40-odd pound amp and I'll be portable again--or maybe not.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back