Got my 225i's!
Nov 7, 2009 at 11:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Pariah1

100+ Head-Fier
They came Tues. actually, but I held off posting about them until now when I have a better idea of their sound (no, I don't mean "burn in"; just getting familiar to their SS and having more time with them to listen to music I'm familiar with).

Well overall I'm VERY happy with them!
smily_headphones1.gif

They kill my 595's (my first "real" cans I have been using for over 3 years now) in any sound aspect I can think of: the 595's sound flat, lifeless, thin (less bass by far), anemic, dry, "lazy" or "tired", unfocused, even shrill/sibilant and with recessed/distant voices and mids in comparison.

The 225i's sound/have: More bass, taut/tight, more energetic, focused, fuller, snappy, driving, propelling, engaging, fun! They have more natural mids and a fuller, rounder, even softer sound. There is lots of snap to certain drums/cymbals in particular, and some sound very present--as in the drummer is in my head!
darthsmile.gif

I don't understand the "too sharp/harsh" criticism of these cans at all: my 595's are more so! And if anything the 225i's are a tad, just slightly, "dark", at least in the upper mids. They are also not at all fatiguing.

I mostly have little to no problem with the Grado SS, but if there were any complaints it would be that they aren't the most detailed in the highs or bass (mids are just fine) and don't have tons of micro detail. So cymbal work, for instance, isn't the most delicate, light, or airy, and bass guitar isn't the most articulate. And those little nuances and subtleties hidden or mostly hidden in recordings don't pop out at you, they stay in the background.

However this is not necessarily a bad thing: one isn't supposed to concentrate on the details in the music as much as the main push of the music itself! And that's what the Grado's are all about: They get you to concentrate on the music instead of how you think it should sound; you get swept up with the flow of the song instead of dissecting it and analyzing it hearing only parts of it at any one moment (and thus missing the experience of the whole song!).

In fact, when I was trying to concentrate on how the 225i's produced this or that facet of the music I was listening/testing them with, I quickly forgot about what I was focusing on and just started enjoying the song! And I would keep listening to it even though I was trying to go through a lot of my music to hear how the Grado's handled certain song parts. But I ended up, more often than not, listening to the entire song I liked the sound so much.
biggrin.gif

There is one minor complaint I have with the 225i's sound though that isn't so much of a comprise/good thing as those above: sometimes the cymbal work can sound "brash" or "swishy". But this is the only real complaint I have.

However, SS aside, I do find these uncomfortable.
frown.gif
As they sit on my ears they tend to press down and hurt them after only about 20 minutes. Yes I know there are mods and ways to deal with this (and I have bent the head band a bit which helped), but I don't see why Grado can't design their cans better in the first place.

Also, within the first hour of listening, I heard the dreaded "grattle" in the right side and it has not gone away since (well, it seems to at times). Of all things I heard it first on Lennon's "Imagine". Hardly a demanding or bass heavy song, but I could hear the rattle/crackle at the 4 sec mark and 14 sec mark clearly. Then I heard it on other songs right after and hours/days after. I thought I had a defective can (well, maybe I do) but after reading about this phenomena on here I don't know what to think. I don't have long hair at all and see nothing in/around the driver in any case. And the phenomena comes and goes: last night, after listening to hours of music without any hint of grattle, I listened to the first 35 sec. of "Imagine" to see if it was there on this song, and it started right in and was worse than ever, present in more of the sound than I had heard it ever before. But today, when I first started listening, I put on "Imagine" to test for "grattle" and heard nothing, not the faintest crackle/rattle. (Yes this is the same FLAC file and same volume which is not at all blasting). Then, just now, after hours of listening without any "grattle", I put on "Imagine" once again and it's right there. I guess after hours of use the "grattle" starts in, but if I "rest" the cans for awhile (like overnight) then it goes away. Weird.

In any case I intend to send these back for an exchange (I have a 30 day exchange/return policy on them). I hope my next 225i's don't have any grattle or I might just have to give up on them no matter how much I like their sound. The uncomfortableness combined with the grattle problem are not worth spending $200 on. I really don't want to give up on these cans and try out any other cans I was thinking of before I got these though, as the 225i's are exactly what I was looking for.
biggrin.gif

I'd like to thank everyone who helped give advice and recommendations in my other threads: I went from looking for a different amp to drive my 595's to getting a new can altogether and I'm glad I changed my mind! (Even with the problems I'm having with it
frown.gif
).

Nov 8, 2009 at 12:06 AM Post #2 of 18
Have you made a dedicated attempt at blowing into, from both sides, the driver that is affected with Grattle? Usually this is just due to a hair being in contact with the driver. It is easy to imagine happening given the extra-open nature of the metal driver screen. Do try this a few times over the course of a few tunes to be sure that it is not in fact a driver flaw.

Nov 8, 2009 at 12:15 AM Post #3 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by sampson_smith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you made a dedicated attempt at blowing into, from both sides, the driver that is affected with Grattle? Usually this is just due to a hair being in contact with the driver. It is easy to imagine happening given the extra-open nature of the metal driver screen. Do try this a few times over the course of a few tunes to be sure that it is not in fact a driver flaw.

Yep, done that a few times. Looked with a flashlight. Took off the ear cup. Shook the things upside down. Etc. Etc. Same noise.
confused_face.gif

Switched to my speakers/sub now so will try after a few hours and see if the grattle is there after some "rest".

Thanks though, I'd rather not send these back for an exchange (I'll miss the sound!).

Nov 8, 2009 at 4:31 AM Post #4 of 18
Great cans for sure and IMO the best in the Prestige Series. I think the reference for hot or shrilly treble is more in line for the SR325is headphones and NOT the SR225i. Great buy!

Nov 8, 2009 at 4:36 AM Post #5 of 18
If you really need to, you can open up the cups easily enough and poke around inside. I live in a house with two cats that shed like mad and haven't had the grattle yet, I guess I'm just lucky! However, I have opened up my headphones a few times and it's not hard at all...

Otherwise, congrats on your purchase, they're a great pair of headphones indeed. Enjoy!

Nov 8, 2009 at 4:43 AM Post #6 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pariah1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yep, done that a few times. Looked with a flashlight. Took off the ear cup. Shook the things upside down. Etc. Etc. Same noise.
confused_face.gif

Check resistance / impedance across the the terminals with a multi-meter. Grado isn't exactly known for great QA, but they do have great customer service.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pariah1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks though, I'd rather not send these back for an exchange (I'll miss the sound!).

Totally understand! Had repair issue with my HF-2.

Nov 9, 2009 at 6:37 AM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by MacedonianHero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great cans for sure and IMO the best in the Prestige Series. I think the reference for hot or shrilly treble is more in line for the SR325is headphones and NOT the SR225i. Great buy!

Well, I meant some consider all Grado's to be overly bright, but yes the 325i's are of course supposed to be more so.

Definitely great cans, just wish they were more comfortable and didn't have the grattle!

Quote:

Originally Posted by LingLing1337 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you really need to, you can open up the cups easily enough and poke around inside. I live in a house with two cats that shed like mad and haven't had the grattle yet, I guess I'm just lucky! However, I have opened up my headphones a few times and it's not hard at all...

Otherwise, congrats on your purchase, they're a great pair of headphones indeed. Enjoy!

I won't open them up because I'm going to send them back and exchange them. If I was stuck with them then I would open them though.

Thanks, and I'm loving them!
L3000.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by purrin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Check resistance / impedance across the the terminals with a multi-meter. Grado isn't exactly known for great QA, but they do have great customer service.

Totally understand! Had repair issue with my HF-2.

I don't have one of those...I take "QA" to mean quality assurance?

And yea, I'm addicted to the 225i's sound so I don't want to go without them! And it did take over a week for them to get to me, so an exchange would be even longer.

Nov 10, 2009 at 4:13 AM Post #9 of 18
Congrats Pariah1! The 225's were my first intro to head-fi and I've been a Grado lover ever since and I agree that they are just a fun to listen to cans.

Beware - after being bitten by the Grado bug - upgraditis is imminent. While your cans are in the shop, how about getting a RS1 to keep you company.
happy_face1.gif

Nov 10, 2009 at 4:44 AM Post #10 of 18
Out of the however many Grados I've owned, I've only had a couple sets go bad, and Grado customer service always did a great job for me.

Nov 10, 2009 at 7:14 AM Post #12 of 18
[size=xx-small]u[/size][size=x-small]p[/size][size=small]w[/size][size=medium]a[/size][size=large]r[/size][size=x-large]d[/size] [size=xx-large]spiral!!![/size]

Nov 12, 2009 at 3:51 AM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by cheemo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Congrats Pariah1! The 225's were my first intro to head-fi and I've been a Grado lover ever since and I agree that they are just a fun to listen to cans.

Beware - after being bitten by the Grado bug - upgraditis is imminent. While your cans are in the shop, how about getting a RS1 to keep you company.
happy_face1.gif

Thanks! I'll be keeping away from upgrades for awhile I bet though, for these cans are certainly all I need to be satisfied.
L3000.gif
I know that if I compared and contrasted them to those up the ladder then I might not say that, but if I don't then I don't know what I am missing.
wink.gif
But I do know that these sound great and I don't need super-incredible-angel's singing-great cans to be happy! lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by MD1032 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Out of the however many Grados I've owned, I've only had a couple sets go bad, and Grado customer service always did a great job for me.

Guess I got a bad pair--right out of the box I heard the grattle.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stitch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Welcome to the club. One more soul on the downward spiral called Head-fi.
Too bad they have a noise inside.

Did someone mention grado is great with tubes?
smily_headphones1.gif

Tubes eh? I'd be interested in trying them with an hybrid amp sometime later on, though they sound great now with my X-Head for now.

Nov 12, 2009 at 10:02 PM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you sure the rattle is not in the song imagine?

No, I wish. I noticed it in many other songs as well, but way too many to mention or even remember, much less list all the points upon which I heard the distortion.

The last straw was when I listened to some Johny Cash albums and the grattle was just all over them. As I usually listen to rock/metal with the 225i's there can be, or is, music covering up the distortion much of the time, but with music that is comprised of just a few instruments (like Imagine and much of Cash), then I can easily hear the distortion. And yes this is all at very normal volume levels, so it's not due to just regular old distortion (I can't imagine getting cans that loud to distort anyway! Yikes!). And it was only in one side (right) as well.

And of course I did check these music files with my 595's and there was no such noise--same amp too (and it's been this way for years with this setup too: only after I got the 225i's did I notice any distortion). So it isn't the amp or FLAC file or anything else in the line: it's the 225i's.

They are shipped off for a replacement now; hopefully I won't have this with my new ones and then can just focus on getting them more comfortable!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back