Got MS Pros. Advice to SR-60 upgraders: skip *everything* inbetween and get these.
Jan 12, 2012 at 2:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

spronkey

100+ Head-Fier
The search for the perfect Grado...

I've been toying with Grado headphones for quite some time now. Managed to get a pair of SR-60s and 80s (non-i) new shipped down here to New Zealand about 5 years ago and loved them, decided to keep the 60s.

TradeMe, our ebay equivalent then dangled the carrot, and I splurged on a pair of SR-225s (non-i). It took me a long time, but eventually I decided to sell the 60s and keep the 225s. I tried everything - bowls, comfies, spacer mods, 414 pads (liked them best, FYI). It was a tough decision between the two, despite the huge price gap.

Turns out, a couple of years later I would buy a pair of SR-60i, because the SR-225s just didn't gel with me. Too shrill, the highs were incredible, but they turned the whole sound into a tin-fest (and I'm not really a basshead!). After a few weeks I realised that the SR-60 sound is just full, where the SR-225s just aren't, regardless of what pads you put on them. Yes, in all individual aspects they are better, but the SR-60 just gels so well!

Along the way I've also had the opportunity to listen to some SR-325s and some Alessandro MS-1is. Both are fine 'phones in their own regards, but not really for me. The 325s I just found too shrill - like the SR-225s but moreso. With a subwoofer strapped to them. Yikes. The MS-1s sat somewhere inbetween the SR-60s and the SR-225s. I think they're slightly more blanced than the 225s, but they aren't as warm and full as the 60s. Enough of those, then.

So, gone were the SR-225s. But I wasn't quite satisfied with the 60is either... they lacked fine details, and they sound compressed. But, they contrast nicely with my Sennheiser HD600s, they bring out the best in guitars and rich tones, and my wallet gets to keep what little fat it has left.

TradeMe Strikes Again...

About two weeks ago I spotted a pair of Alessandro MS Pros on TradeMe and put them straight on my watchlist. Well above my budget, I tell myself.

... since when did that stop us Head-fi'ers? :D

I'm now the very proud owner of these fine earpieces. And fine they most certainly are. All that detail that was missing from the SR-60 that the SR-225 had in gobs is back, and then some. And that tin flavour the SR-225 liked to splatter my palate with? Gone.

I'm stunned at how good the MS Pros are. They don't get a huge number of mentions around here, most seem to talk about their wooden Grado cousins that I have yet to hear. However, I can't imagine that they would get much better than these. 

They've got detail. They've got warmth. They put all together with a luscious midrange. It's sublime.

So, my advice to those of you thinking about an upgrade from your SR-60s or SR-80s? Skip the inbetween stuff.

Source of their power...
I don't know. It must be the mahogany. I've been somewhat disappointed with every Grado above the SR-60 - none of them "just work". They don't sound right, they all make horrible compromises that, for the price, simply annoy me greatly.

I now understand why that is. The MS Pros may cost a lot, but it's most certainly worth it. Go and buy some now!

Obligatory photos to come when it's light again :)

Jan 12, 2012 at 8:51 AM Post #2 of 4
out of curiosity, have you tried the RS1's? would love a comparison if you have

Nov 5, 2012 at 6:17 PM Post #4 of 4
Ah, I finally return. Not to bump an old thread, but I never got the chance to reply due to some other circumstances!

I haven't heard the RS-1 - I would *love* to, and have had my eyes out for an RS-1 deal for quite a while now. I suspect I would prefer the RS-1 to the MSPro, especially considering I feel the HD600 beats the MSPro at its own game much of the time.

In saying that, if I were Grado Labs, I would probably rearrange the line-up by getting rid of a few models. I also think that the higher end models are rather overpriced compared to their market peers. I'd drop the SR-80 and SR-125 completely, and would reposition the 225i to sit somewhere closer to the SR-80 or SR-125 in price. Bad business decision, but I just don't see that the 225 is worth it compared to other brands.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back