Got Money - Need Headphone
Dec 13, 2011 at 11:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

WeggliNet

New Head-Fier
Hi,

my first post already starts with a question. I have a Burson HA-160DS currently running a Sennheiser HD 650.  I listen to the HD 650 for many years now and i'm pretty happy with it but... i think it's time to upgrade a little bit. So i got some money and now i am looking for another Headphone in the High-End segment.

On my list are:
Sennheiser HD 800
Denon D7000
Beyerdynamic T1

but i can't really decide which one would do best for my needs. I don't listen to only one genre like classic or rock it's a little bit of everything. My source are Lossless audio files from a PC. I read this forum and i found some interesting opinions mostly lead to the T1 as *all around* headphones. But i also read some posts about the T1 & Burson that are said it's not the best combo.

Maybe then the Denons or Sennheiser would do a better job with this combination ?.

any suggestions from some Hardcore Head-Fiers ?.

-WeggliNet

Dec 13, 2011 at 11:35 AM Post #4 of 15
Heya,

Hifiman HE-500

Done.

Very best,

I agree.

I haven't listened to an HE-500, but it's at the top of my list.
My main can is an HD 650 too, and if I have the money then I will definitely buy an HE-500.

Maybe I will try a modded T50RP first, just to see if it lives up to its reputation.

Dec 13, 2011 at 11:58 AM Post #5 of 15
You have to say more about what you want.  Otherwise people will just list their favorites and that's totally meaningless as you arleady have a list of favorites.  If you want to get anything out of this thread, I'd recommend you say as much as you can possibly scrounge out of your brain about what you want in the headphone.  What you like about the HD650, what you don't like.  What you want more of.  etc.  Refer to aspects of the bass, midrange and treble.  If that's too difficult, refer to certain instruments like bass guitar, vocals, electric guitar, cymbals, etc. 

Refer to the glossary of terms to help give you ideas for descriptive words to use to translate your thoughts into words.  Don't be afraid of getting flowery.  http://www.head-fi.org/a/describing-sound-a-glossary

Dec 13, 2011 at 12:22 PM Post #6 of 15
You are already at a very good price/performance point, and taking the next step from there is quite expensive. Since you enjoy the HD 650, it´s clear you are not a fan of spiky treble and prefer some warmth, musicality or whatever it is in the sound. To be honest if you wish to keep the HD 650 style sound signature, there might not even be a real upgrade out there. If you are looking for a real upgrade you might also have to buy a new amp and DAC, as the statement level gear is usually very picky when it comes to amps especially.

My suggestion: Sennheiser HD 800 with a Violectric V200 amp. From the Burson I you will probably find the HD 800 too harsh in the highs, and the Violectric is a good antidote for that, as it´s a thick, warm sounding amp. The Sennheiser lead designer is apparently a fan of Violectric amps too, so it´s probably one of the best matches out here. And if you go that route, then you´ll also need a new DAC to make use of the balanced inputs in the V200. As the saying goes, welcome to Head-Fi.org, and sorry about your wallet!

If you like the HD 650, forget about the T1 is my suggestion: you´ll find it painful to listen to. The Denon D7000 isn´t really necessarily even an upgrade from a HD 650 (depends on how good your amp is with the HD 650, it scales very well), but it´s a nice headphone to add to your collection if you can find it at a good price, not worth full MSRP though.

EDIT:

Oh and obviously this is simply my educated guess, it´s all subjective. Best way to find out? Take your Burson to a store that has those headphones and try them all out with your own CD´s (they must have a CD player with digital output there).

Dec 13, 2011 at 1:06 PM Post #7 of 15

Thaks for the suggestions so far. Yeah it's hard to describe what i don't like about the HD650... i felt they could be clearer. I like to listen to movie soundtracks (instumental) so i want headphones that sound very clear on orchestral instuments mainly but also on vocals. The bass should be natural but also with some impact when needed because if someone beside you plays a big drum it does not sound like a kids toy. Finding a store here that has all these headphones to try out is like to win in a lottery... just no chance.

Dec 13, 2011 at 1:12 PM Post #8 of 15
Well fyi most headphones that are "better" or considered an upgrade from the HD650 have a lot more upper midrange or at least more treble.  So that's something to think about.  They are not just going to give you more clarity, they're also going to give you a different sound signature.  Unless you go with something like an LCD-2.

Dec 13, 2011 at 1:47 PM Post #9 of 15

Quote:
If you are looking for a real upgrade you might also have to buy a new amp and DAC, as the statement level gear is usually very picky when it comes to amps especially.

Not necessary.

From what i've read:
"HA-160DS does not have a particular sonic signature and working with the idea of ​​wire with gain, I can recommend it with any headphone, be it dark, neutral or focused on high frequencies".

And after reading what you like, probably the HD800's is your best bet Imo. 

Dec 13, 2011 at 1:50 PM Post #10 of 15
If you like orchestral and vocal music, in other words genres that like a good soundstage, I think the HD 800 is indeed your best bet. It has the widest most glorious soundstage in any headphone. The only question mark is if you find its treble too spiky coming from the HD 650. 

Dec 13, 2011 at 2:05 PM Post #11 of 15

Quote:
It has the widest most glorious soundstage in any headphone. The only question mark is if you find its treble too spiky coming from the HD 650. 

True. After trying them i wanted to sell my 598's but....my wallet will be heavily affected lol

Dec 13, 2011 at 2:09 PM Post #12 of 15

Quote:
You are already at a very good price/performance point, and taking the next step from there is quite expensive. Since you enjoy the HD 650, it´s clear you are not a fan of spiky treble and prefer some warmth, musicality or whatever it is in the sound. To be honest if you wish to keep the HD 650 style sound signature, there might not even be a real upgrade out there. If you are looking for a real upgrade you might also have to buy a new amp and DAC, as the statement level gear is usually very picky when it comes to amps especially.

My suggestion: Sennheiser HD 800 with a Violectric V200 amp. From the Burson I you will probably find the HD 800 too harsh in the highs, and the Violectric is a good antidote for that, as it´s a thick, warm sounding amp. The Sennheiser lead designer is apparently a fan of Violectric amps too, so it´s probably one of the best matches out here. And if you go that route, then you´ll also need a new DAC to make use of the balanced inputs in the V200. As the saying goes, welcome to Head-Fi.org, and sorry about your wallet!

If you like the HD 650, forget about the T1 is my suggestion: you´ll find it painful to listen to. The Denon D7000 isn´t really necessarily even an upgrade from a HD 650 (depends on how good your amp is with the HD 650, it scales very well), but it´s a nice headphone to add to your collection if you can find it at a good price, not worth full MSRP though.

EDIT:

Oh and obviously this is simply my educated guess, it´s all subjective. Best way to find out? Take your Burson to a store that has those headphones and try them all out with your own CD´s (they must have a CD player with digital output there).

I would take this with a grain of salt as vrln is known to be a Beyerdynamic hater.  To most people, the T1s are warmer and lusher than the HD800s and have a less bother-some treble.

Look through the HD800 and T1 appreciation threads and you can find some comparisons from people who own both.

Dec 13, 2011 at 2:49 PM Post #14 of 15
Well fyi most headphones that are "better" or considered an upgrade from the HD650 have a lot more upper midrange or at least more treble.  So that's something to think about.  They are not just going to give you more clarity, they're also going to give you a different sound signature.  Unless you go with something like an LCD-2.

I heard the HE-500 has a sound signature similar to the HD 650.

Otherwise there is always EQ. But I feel a lot of people are afraid to use it.

Dec 14, 2011 at 12:18 AM Post #15 of 15

Quote:

I have the HA-160DS / LCD-2 combo on my mind, Im saving for those babes atm

Users who are viewing this thread

Back