Got it back!
Jul 30, 2001 at 5:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10
Well, I just took delivery of my Max. For those who didn't know, my Max was a pre-production "new" Max. HeadRoom made some changes internally after my pre-production unit was built, and so I sent it back to get it upgraded to official production build status.

I haven't listened to it yet, but will do so soon. I'll report back with any interesting observations.

Jul 30, 2001 at 5:46 PM Post #2 of 10
Jude,
Man is it my imagination or did Danny turn that around for you very fast? I'm looking forward to hearing your findings.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 30, 2001 at 6:11 PM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by flashbak
Jude,
Man is it my imagination or did Danny turn that around to you very fast? I'm looking forward to hearing your findings.
smily_headphones1.gif

Yeah, the turnaround was insane, eh? I FedEx'd it to them. They FedEx 2nd Day Air'd it to me back. I was very surprised to see it arrive already. Still haven't listened to it yet, but will momentarily.

Jul 30, 2001 at 6:45 PM Post #4 of 10
Wow, that's what I call service.

On the other hand, they know everything they
say or do will end up here eventually, so this
VIP treatment is no surprise.

Enjoy it jude
smily_headphones1.gif

Bye

Redwoood

Jul 30, 2001 at 11:39 PM Post #5 of 10
isitreadyyet?isitreadyyet?isitreadyyet?isitreadyye t?isitreadyyet?isitreadyyet?isitreadyyet?isitready yet?isitreadyyet?isitreadyyet?isitreadyyet?isitrea dyyet?isitreadyyet?isitreadyyet?isitreadyyet?isitr eadyyet?isitreadyyet?isitreadyyet?isitreadyyet?isi treadyyet?isitreadyyet?isitreadyyet?isitreadyyet?i sitreadyyet?isitreadyyet?

redface.gif
biggrin.gif

Jul 31, 2001 at 1:18 AM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by dhwilkin
isitreadyyet?isitreadyyet?isitreadyyet?isitreadyye t?isitreadyyet?isitreadyyet?isitreadyyet?isitready yet?isitreadyyet?isitreadyyet?isitreadyyet?isitrea dyyet?isitreadyyet?isitreadyyet?isitreadyyet?isitr eadyyet?isitreadyyet?isitreadyyet?isitreadyyet?isi treadyyet?isitreadyyet?isitreadyyet?isitreadyyet?i sitreadyyet?isitreadyyet?

redface.gif
biggrin.gif

dhwilkin, if you don't wanna see the review, just say so
wink.gif

Jul 31, 2001 at 1:19 AM Post #7 of 10
LOL!

Well, okay, but this is an interesting thing to post (my preliminary opinions) because nobody has ever heard the pre-production version of the Max I had. Anyway, here are my preliminary observations:
  1. Soundstage is a little more up-front, more powerful. In pre-production mode, the soundstage was a little more laid back -- I liked it, but I like it even better now. It's now an even better match for the HD-600's (which have earned the reputation -- and rightfully so -- of being laid back).
  2. Treble detail has been greatly enhanced (probably the most noticeable change). Without sounding bright, the Max now has significantly improved high frequency resolution. This was the change I was most worried about, as I enjoyed the overall warmth of my pre-production Max. This is also the hardest change to describe, since the overall warmth of the Max's presentation remains, yet there is clearly more treble detail. If you're not familiar with the Max (and other HeadRoom amps), there's a switch labeled "filter" that is used to give the highs a boost if, when using crossfeed, you find the treble rolls off too much. I didn't use the filter before the change (even with crossfeed), and I'm certainly not going to use it now. In fact, the treble performance of the Max now does not feel rolled off at all with the crossfeed engaged. Before the mod, I was hearing things with the Max/SCD-C333ES/HD-600 combination I hadn't heard before, as this rig extracts so much of the material from the CD's and SACD's -- very revealing. With the mods, I'm picking up even more details and nuances that I wasn't picking up before I shipped it off. I'm very happy with this improved treble performance.
  3. The crossfeed circuit has, to my ears, been enhanced significantly (almost as significantly as the treble performance). Imaging is even more pinpoint and real. The mild bass-boost sensation that occurred with crossfeed on is much less pronounced -- bass performance with crossfeed on sounds much more natural now. And, as mentioned earlier, there is much less a sense of any treble roll-off with crossfeed on now than there was before the mods. So far, with every recording I've played through the rig since its return, I like keeping the crossfeed on (except, of course, with recordings in mono).
Individually, each change isn't overwhelming, but each would still be very noticeable alone. Together, it makes for what is, without a doubt, the best hi-fi these ears have ever heard. It is that good.

Jul 31, 2001 at 2:35 AM Post #9 of 10
Everything Jude said is true
wink.gif
The Max is simply an amazing piece of work. Incredible highs without sounding bright, warm overall sound without losing highs, great bass without any muddiness or boominess. As Jude said, the new crossfeed filter is completely different than the crossfeed on the other amps I have heard -- I never turn it off. And while I do use the "mild" filter sometimes (no way the "high" setting LOL), I find that the HeadRoom processor really does improve the sound without really affecting the treble or midbass.

I was listening to the SACD of Isaac Stern playing Vivaldi, and it is simply incredible. There are things you can hear that I never realized could be heard on a recording before
wink.gif
You don't hear the violin playing... you hear the bow being pulled across the strings, and you even hear it *hit* the strings when it loses and regains contact. I was stunned.

I could go on, but I'll save that for later
wink.gif

Jul 31, 2001 at 4:53 AM Post #10 of 10
Nice preliminary impressions report jude, thanks! Now I really can't wait to get my hands on an upgrade module, as it looks like it addresses my two main complaints w/ the Max + 580 combo: Sometimes too laid-back and many times too dark.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back