Got imp-550 - a couple questions...
Nov 13, 2003 at 5:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Prizm

New Head-Fier
Just got my iRiver imp-550, after a few weeks of perusing this board and asking you guys questions
smily_headphones1.gif

This PCDP really rocks - and even more so since I upgraded the firmware (to me it seems the sound quality also increased with the new firmware? Some people disagree though..).

I'm also impressed at it's ability to drive my Sennheiser HD590's - they sounded rather flat on my old Sony PCDP (which was top of the range in 1999), but the imp-550 seems to like them.

I got the silver one. I figured everyone in the States is stuck with only the black model, so I went for the lesser common color.

For those of you who have one, I have a couple questions. Regardless of any issues I mention below, the coolness of this player far outweighs them
smily_headphones1.gif
-

- Was playing a pressed CD today with run-on tracks (no pause between tracks) - and when I manually went to the next track, it would pause for up to 4-5 seconds before it played the next track. Anyone know what the deal is?

- My AC adapter has a slight high-pitched whine that comes out of it. I'm in Australia, so it's made for 240v. Anyone else have this?

- When switching directories on an MP3 disc, it seems to take quite while to start playing the first song in a directory (like a good 30 seconds sometimes). Is this because it is loading/buffering the mp3s in the folder?

- Where's "SFL D" (shuffle directory)? SFL DA is there, but not SFL D. According to the manual there is both - SFL D shuffles all mp3s in current directory then stops playback, while SFL DA shuffles all m3s in current directory *repeatedly*.

- How do I return to normal display/menu when I'm done playing Snakebyte? (besides waiting for the game to automatically go away)

Nov 14, 2003 at 1:06 AM Post #2 of 4
Quote:

- Was playing a pressed CD today with run-on tracks (no pause between tracks) - and when I manually went to the next track, it would pause for up to 4-5 seconds before it played the next track. Anyone know what the deal is?

There has been sayings on this player about it having a weak laser (or a bad buffer) (among tons of other "little" flaws) so I'm guessing this is what's causing this rather long loading time.

Quote:

- When switching directories on an MP3 disc, it seems to take quite while to start playing the first song in a directory (like a good 30 seconds sometimes). Is this because it is loading/buffering the mp3s in the folder?

Same there. I guess this is going to be a part of your life now (or will it?). Some people have had good units that showed absolutely no signs of those "flaws", while a bunch of other people found themselves returning their players to get a new - but not necessarly working - player. Some even sent their player back twice!

Anyway, you to judge if you can live with it or not. I understand it's frustrating when the iMP-550's older brothers, iMP-400 and 350, played MP3 without any problem.
frown.gif

Nov 14, 2003 at 3:05 AM Post #3 of 4
Quote:

Originally posted by JiPi
There has been sayings on this player about it having a weak laser (or a bad buffer) (among tons of other "little" flaws) so I'm guessing this is what's causing this rather long loading time.

Thanks for the reply, JiPi.
I wouldn't jump the gun too quick and blame the laser. I have been walking around with it vertically in a bag and it hasn't skipped yet (and that's on the low skip protection).

I read on the iRiver forum that some green dye CDRs tend to have problems with the imp-550, and that is the type of CD that my mp3s were on (which was rather dumb of me, since I already know that the green dye CDRs are the worst quality).

Does anyone who owns the imp-550 have any feedback to my previous questions?

Prizm

Nov 14, 2003 at 6:03 AM Post #4 of 4
Quote:

Originally posted by Prizm

i haven't encountered this before with my imp550. is it happening consistently or is it erratic? Quote:

- Where's "SFL D" (shuffle directory)? SFL DA is there, but not SFL D. According to the manual there is both - SFL D shuffles all mp3s in current directory then stops playback, while SFL DA shuffles all m3s in current directory *repeatedly*.

did you enable this option in the menu? not all of the options are enabled by default. you might have to go in and check the box beside SFL D to enable that function Quote:

- How do I return to normal display/menu when I'm done playing Snakebyte? (besides waiting for the game to automatically go away)

press the mode jog dial in to return to the regular display screen.

good luck with your new toy!

later
nikolaus

Users who are viewing this thread

Back