Got first serious headphones – how to truly appreciate them?
Nov 21, 2018 at 5:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

S3lvah

New Head-Fier
Apologies in advance for the silly question, but...

After using sub-$50 headphones all my life (mostly the popular Superlux 6## ones everyone probably knows about), I decided to finally take this passion for music seriously and buy a pair that could even remotely be considered 'not low-end'. So, I did some research and got the Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilees, and they ended up costing me $200 due to shipping and EU VAT.

However, I can't really say there's a noticeable difference in sound quality between them and my Superlux HD 668Bs, which had cost less than 20% of that. They're... more open (through the cup) and feel more comfortable, but... that seems to be it. I didn't expect to be blown away, but I was expecting a semblance of change that would make me react positively. (Yes, I did test with WAV / FLAC quality audio.)

This has made me think if chances are I also have to fork over $100 (or more...) for a better-quality DAC than what my computer's $35 ASUS Xonar DGX sound card can offer (I bought it due to a faulty 3.5mm jack on the mobo, not because I thought it'd improve sound). Or, if high-end headphones simply don't constitute that massive of an improvement (i.e. anything better than Superlux has very diminishing returns).

So, TL;DR:
- Mid-range ($150–350 tier?) Sennheisers barely feel like an improvement over $30 Superluxes.
- Do I need a $100+ DAC instead of just my ASUS sound card to hear the difference, or...
- Is there a much smaller difference in audible sound quality (at least to an inexperienced listener) between 'alright' and 'good' headphones than is conventionally thought?

Nov 21, 2018 at 5:55 AM Post #2 of 5
The 'problem' here is that you started out with a known giant-killer.
I remember the HD668B hype train when it came out. It's still a VERY good headphone and for some people it's their (budget) end-game.

I havn't tried out the 668B, but I've heard and owner a few other superluxes and they all punched way above their price.
All had a slightly emphasised treble, appearing to be very detailed and articulate.

The HD58X, like the HD600/650 is tuned to sound mellow, gentle, non-fatiguing and relaxing.
Also most around here would recommend a powerful tube amp to go with them to 'bring out their best'...

But the reality is you're getting most of the performance already, and it's more likely that you just prefer the more energetic Superlux that force-fed you treble detail, and you find the 'inoffensive' HD58X is underwhelming.
The Sennheiser is tuned more accurately and should distort less, so technically it is superior, but it can take months or even years before someone can start to hear and appreciate those differences. Not everyone is born with golden ears, but it is certainly a skill you can train, like food tasting.

So, TL;DR:
- Mid-range ($150–350 tier?) Sennheisers barely feel like an improvement over $30 Superluxes.
- Do I need a $100+ DAC instead of just my ASUS sound card to hear the difference, or...
- Is there a much smaller difference in audible sound quality (at least to an inexperienced listener) between 'alright' and 'good' headphones than is conventionally thought?
Don't make the mistake of associating audio quality with numerical currency.
It's not that the differences are smaller, but that there are absolutely, objectively bad headphones at almost every price point, and to make matters worse, the inverse is also true.

Nov 21, 2018 at 5:56 AM Post #3 of 5
Hi,

Possibly a few really common things are going on so hopefully offering some useful food for thought:

-Get a bit more familiar with the new addition. Maybe try to let go of the expectation it should be a huge upgrade
-The two headphones might happen to have a similar type sound. I never heard the HD668B so unfortunately can't relate
-Match components. Again I am clueless as to what the Xonar has in store but generally speaking another amplifier (before DAC) will bring a different presentation. Whether you like that presentation and whether it's large enough a change from the Xonar to make you appreciate the HD58x is another matter
-Perhaps you are indeed someone who is totally fine with what you have now. The increase in price is not worth it
-You picked a pair that turns out to be not your taste. Well, there are loads of others to try around the same price range

To get a more thorough idea of where to go with this you can take ideally both headphones with you to a friend or a store. Listening off different gear could change your mind fast.

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2018 at 6:12 AM Post #4 of 5
Thank you so much for the knowledgeable and thorough replies! Gives me something to think about. I did notice with the superluxes that, especially late into the evening, the treble sometimes got to be painful when listening to certain talk shows – and speech, generally. Maybe it's not such a bad thing the Sennheiser cans are inoffensive. It's frankly relieving to hear that I needn't necessarily give them a final verdict after a week of use.

I suppose I'll need to find a store with DACs to hear if there's a marked difference, then.

Nov 21, 2018 at 6:19 AM Post #5 of 5
The 'problem' here is that you started out with a known giant-killer.
I remember the HD668B hype train when it came out. It's still a VERY good headphone and for some people it's their (budget) end-game.

I havn't tried out the 668B, but I've heard and owner a few other superluxes and they all punched way above their price.
All had a slightly emphasised treble, appearing to be very detailed and articulate.

The HD58X, like the HD600/650 is tuned to sound mellow, gentle, non-fatiguing and relaxing.
Also most around here would recommend a powerful tube amp to go with them to 'bring out their best'...

But the reality is you're getting most of the performance already, and it's more likely that you just prefer the more energetic Superlux that force-fed you treble detail, and you find the 'inoffensive' HD58X is underwhelming.
The Sennheiser is tuned more accurately and should distort less, so technically it is superior, but it can take months or even years before someone can start to hear and appreciate those differences. Not everyone is born with golden ears, but it is certainly a skill you can train, like food tasting.

Nicely explained, couldn't agree more with the last sentence.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back