Got E3Cs...fighting the urge to buy E4Cs
Apr 28, 2006 at 11:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

BoomerFZ1

New Head-Fier
I have a set of Shure E3C IEMs and constantly read nothing but great things from it's somewhat more expensive bretheren, the E4C. They also look a bit smaller and more astheticly appealing (especially the black ones...I have the white E3s). They can be had for about $180 delivered which is a decent price but I ask you all this...is the sound that much better? I currently use a Creative Zen Microphoto until I get my much more supurb sounding iAudio X5 back from Cowon (dropped it....UGH!!!). I'd love to upgrade but not for simply looks alone. Help me out peeps and thanks a butt-load.

Apr 29, 2006 at 12:04 AM Post #2 of 17
Yep big difference.
biggrin.gif
Dont fight the urge, this is head-fi....
evil_smiley.gif

Edit: About the size the e4's are the same shape, but they a little more thick than the e3.

Apr 29, 2006 at 12:13 AM Post #3 of 17
Well, the difference is definitely not night and day, particularly unamped. I have the E2, the E3, and the E4...........all benefit mightily from amping. Straight out of an ipod, the differences are not as dramatic. They all have the signature Shure sound........each level up brings you bit more of everything.
Don't get me wrong. Shure makes excellent IEMs, and the E4s are an improvement over the E3. I had a chance to audition the new triple driver E500 at the National meet last weekend. They also had the Shure signature sound......smooth and balanced, with a bit more bass than the E4. However, straight out of my iPod, I wasn't bowled over........I chose the Westone UM2 instead. Now, THEY bowled me over.
Unfortunately, only your ears can tell you how much of an improvement the E4s are and whether the increase in price is worth it. Good luck.
biggrin.gif

Apr 29, 2006 at 2:47 AM Post #4 of 17
Man I bought a 60gb iPod video after I bought my iAudio X5 based on the screen size and ease of use. I had intended on selling my X5 but I promply returned the iPod and was completely sold on Cowon when I heard it with my E3's compared to the X5....it strait sounded like crap. And yes I played with the audio settings. I don't know if I can base my decision on someone using such a terrible sounding unit. Apple seems to have stressed ease of use and cool looks as opposed to quality sound. I have a microphoto also that doesn't sound nerely as good as the X5 but still blows away the iPod.

Apr 29, 2006 at 2:59 AM Post #5 of 17
ipod isn't that bad. Of course, mine is always hooked up via line out to an amp. In any case, Wait until the E500 come out. I think that it will be a good replacement for my e4c (I want a little more bass depth). Maybe it will work for you too. I like the shure sound, and found the UM2 to sound muddy, but use them with my ipod at the gym. What are the strengths of the e3 that you like/dislike?

Apr 29, 2006 at 2:32 PM Post #6 of 17
That's a good questions. I really have no problem at all with my 3's. I guess asthetics. Those 4's in black really look good but I guess I just don't want to drop 2 bills for that alone. A little more bass would be nice.

Apr 29, 2006 at 2:57 PM Post #7 of 17
the lower mids are warmer, bas is better defined and extends lower, mids are ever so slighly better, and the treble extends further. the problem with the e3 is that is lacks any musicality, sounds sterile and boorish. this is resolved with the e4c. the e4c has better build quality too.
comparing either to the e500 is unfair, based on the fact it will be allmost 3x more than the e4c...

Apr 29, 2006 at 3:33 PM Post #8 of 17
I own both, you're not going to hear a big difference from any of the mp3 players available. While the E4cs do look better, they are NOT lighter. My girlfriend actually prefers listening to the E3cs because they are so light.

Apr 29, 2006 at 4:42 PM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by apnk
Yep big difference.
biggrin.gif
Dont fight the urge, this is head-fi....
evil_smiley.gif

can you do the Slashdot "+1" thing around here?

And demo UM2's and super.fi 5pros if you ever get the chance. 2 drivers changes everything

Apr 29, 2006 at 5:40 PM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by lostbobby
can you do the Slashdot "+1" thing around here?

And demo UM2's and super.fi 5pros if you ever get the chance. 2 drivers changes everything

granted that the UM2 sound a bit congested compared to the e4c. The e4 have more air and sounstage in IMO, but the UM2 excel with genres of music that appreciate a closer soundstage with more musicallity. The e4 has hyperdetail that I don't beleive that the UM2 or SUperfi can come close to matcheing. Especially in vocals.

Apr 29, 2006 at 5:45 PM Post #11 of 17
Actually everything other than the Shures has those thin cables. I motorcycle and bicycle and do allot of active things and nothings says durable like what Shure makes. Especially with UE and the replaceable cables...I can definitely see myself looking down and seeing an empty cable end one day....boy would I be pissed. I can honestly say I'm brand loyal to the Shure product.

Apr 29, 2006 at 5:55 PM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by BoomerFZ1
Actually everything other than the Shures has those thin cables. I motorcycle and bicycle and do allot of active things and nothings says durable like what Shure makes. Especially with UE and the replaceable cables...I can definitely see myself looking down and seeing an empty cable end one day....boy would I be pissed. I can honestly say I'm brand loyal to the Shure product.

Well, I got my replacement E3cs from Shure Wed, my UM2's yesterday, and I can't argue with what you said, anything happens to Shures, no purchase receipt needed, no hassle (but what do people do with all the bags of tips they doin't use, can there be a "free foamies and 1-flanges that I don't want" sticky thread?). I figured my Ety 6i's would disintegrate 1st, but they've held up fine, albeit with gentler handling than the Shures.

I think with IEMs, fit, sound and durability/warranty all have to rate at about equally imnportant considerations.

Apr 29, 2006 at 9:13 PM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by BoomerFZ1
Just outta curiousity, how do the Ety's sound compared to your E3's?

Hmm, haven't listened to them in a while, but I think in general 6i's have better clarity from mid-range on up, both with solo piano and guitar, and different kinds of ensemble music. but they need a solid bass boost, otherwise the first impression is brightness to near-tinniness. I think at prevailing prices, they're a serious bargain, __if__ they fit comfotably. At least one thread here has noted not especially good warranty experiences with Ety compared to Shure.

One thing, I've found the 6i's with triple flange press pretty hard on the outer rim of the ear canal, so for me the least comfortable of any IEM i've tried. I think i've managed to lose the grey foamies they cam e with.

Apr 29, 2006 at 9:13 PM Post #15 of 17
I went from the E3s to the E4s.
It was not a big difference....the first minute.
After that I realized that -for me- a border was crossed, from mechanical hifi to music.
That was about 6 months ago; sdince then IO felt happy with my E4s, and haven't felt any urge to update.

Very personal of course, and I do not use an Ipod (sorry to admit that I heard lots of them and neverever felt impressed by SQ, out of the headphone-out).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back