Got a ZUNE
Dec 22, 2006 at 6:08 AM Post #16 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by towelie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well, I have done all of the windows updates, except 2 of them, Internet Explorer 7, and a security update for Internet Explorer. For some very odd reason though...I can't download IE7 from windows because of...validation problems, lol. Still though, I don't think that'd be a critical update..would it?

Does this mean a Zune won't work with a non validated version of XP?

Dec 22, 2006 at 6:55 AM Post #17 of 45
Works just fine with an unvalidated version of XP. I set everything up before I got my Zune, so all I had to do was plug in my Zune and let it sync over my music. Everything went smoothly.

Dec 22, 2006 at 5:49 PM Post #18 of 45
Excellent. I tested it with UM2s for about half an hour yesterday (at Target) and it sounds great and I heard NO HISS! I even figured out the controls and turned the "hip Hop" eq off. I just hope it can do a good job unamped on my 250 Ohm (05) 880s, then I'll be in pig heaven. I'm pretty sure there's one under the tree that has my name on it. I was up till 3 am last night ripping the last of my CDs to WMA lossless. I'm going to feel pretty silly if I open up that Zune sized box Christmas morning and it turns out to be Old Spice.

Dec 22, 2006 at 7:27 PM Post #19 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by audiomagnate /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Excellent. I tested it with UM2s for about half an hour yesterday (at Target) and it sounds great and I heard NO HISS! I even figured out the controls and turned the "hip Hop" eq off. I just hope it can do a good job unamped on my 250 Ohm (05) 880s, then I'll be in pig heaven. I'm pretty sure there's one under the tree that has my name on it. I was up till 3 am last night ripping the last of my CDs to WMA lossless. I'm going to feel pretty silly if I open up that Zune sized box Christmas morning and it turns out to be Old Spice.

It's the no hiss thing that vexes me most about the Zune. I have absolutely no idea how it's possible for a portable player to have no background noise what-so-ever.

Dec 22, 2006 at 7:41 PM Post #20 of 45
Quote:

I was up till 3 am last night ripping the last of my CDs to WMA lossless. I'm going to feel pretty silly if I open up that Zune sized box Christmas morning and it turns out to be Old Spice.

Does the Zune actually support WMA lossless? I think the *software* supports it, but it transcodes the files on sync.

Dec 22, 2006 at 7:46 PM Post #21 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's the no hiss thing that vexes me most about the Zune.

Having no hiss irritates you? I actually like no hiss.
confused.gif

Dec 22, 2006 at 8:04 PM Post #22 of 45
Quote:

i hope you're not planning to use lossless on your Zune because the hardware won't except it. It'll just downgrade it to 320 or 224kbs wma.

Dec 22, 2006 at 9:29 PM Post #24 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by JLai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Having no hiss irritates you? I actually like no hiss.
confused.gif

No no, I meant "vex" as "confused." I simply don't understand how it is possible that a player of its size is completely black as a source... it's a very good thing.

Dec 23, 2006 at 1:00 AM Post #25 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Digitalbath3737 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i hope you're not planning to use lossless on your Zune because the hardware won't except it. It'll just downgrade it to 320 or 224kbs wma.

No, I was just archiving and EAC/Lame has been giving me fits lately. I hate to admit it, but WMA lossless ripping was super easy and fast and seemed to have worked fine. When I synced with my current mp3 player, actually my SD cards, it went to 160 kbs.

Dec 23, 2006 at 1:06 AM Post #26 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Digitalbath3737 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

No, I was just archiving and EAC/Lame has been giving me fits lately. I hate to admit it, but WMA lossless ripping was super easy and fast and seemed to have worked fine. When I synced with my current mp3 player, actually my SD cards, it went to 160 kbs.

Dec 24, 2006 at 9:24 AM Post #27 of 45
The Zune's marketing is horrible. The staff at bestbuy in Canada have no idea about it... and I have not seen evven ONE ANYWHERE in Calgary the entire christmas season.

I'll hold my opinion until I see and use one... but until then I still hold true to my assumption.

THE ZUNE IS SHIITE!

Just buy an ipod... remember that with these new MP3 devices the software is more than half the battle. What good are these players with garbage software... Microsoft is going to learn this the hard way?

Dec 24, 2006 at 10:18 AM Post #28 of 45
No retailer that I've been to seems to know jack about the Zune. The one I bought mines from said that the battery life was only 5 hours for AUDIO. I'm not sure whether or not they left the backlight on all the time or kept skipping songs or what but that seems unlikely.

It sounds beautiful though... never thought I'd find a DAP that sounds better than my Rio Karma. Just hoping for WMA lossless and gapless soon. And have the PC software not make me want to claw my eyes out every time I try to use it.

EDIT: Songs that came standard weren't bad either. I need to find the cds for some of them...

Dec 24, 2006 at 11:32 AM Post #30 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean.Perrin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Zune's marketing is horrible. The staff at bestbuy in Canada have no idea about it... and I have not seen evven ONE ANYWHERE in Calgary the entire christmas season.

I'll hold my opinion until I see and use one... but until then I still hold true to my assumption.

THE ZUNE IS SHIITE!

Just buy an ipod... remember that with these new MP3 devices the software is more than half the battle. What good are these players with garbage software... Microsoft is going to learn this the hard way?

Oh really? Maybe it's because the Zune isn't out in Canada yet. Hm?

The Zune has been in the market for less than two months. The iPod has been out for years. Give it some time to improve. You can't expect everything to be flawless in the beginning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back