Got a WA2, with a lot of problem......
Apr 11, 2010 at 12:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

stocklaz

Head-Fier
After a long period of searching and target, ordered my WA2 on March and wait for 3 weeks, finally the Amp shipped and arrived my home today. Once open box problems came
ph34r.gif

a) Ordered a power tube upgrade (the Sylvania 7236 NOS) but cannot be find in the box, only come with 3 pairs of standard tubes.....

b) even the standard tube, one of the 6080 tube have oxidized tube leg
frown.gif

c) This is most serious. I paid $400 for blackgate upgrade. After I found those upgrade tube missed, I open the Amp and look inside, and cannot find ANY things named Blackgate.
triportsad.gif

Sent email to Jack already, not sure how to solve the problem... I am not in America so this made me more confused.

I need some of your help also.

It that normal to have a oxidized tube leg?

Can anyone show me the WA2 inside photo that with blackgate upgrade, so that I can sure my amp do not have that ?

Thanks a lot!

Apr 11, 2010 at 2:57 PM Post #2 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by stocklaz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It that normal to have a oxidized tube leg?

yes, this is normal.
That tube is probably older than you are. 6080 have not been in production since the early 80's if not the mid 70's.
Quote:

Can anyone show me the WA2 inside photo that with blackgate upgrade, so that I can sure my amp do not have that ?

Can you show us a photo of the insides of your amp?

Apr 11, 2010 at 3:12 PM Post #3 of 33
Sorry if the upgrade parts are missing. However, we will gladly refund this option. I checked the picture about the oxidized leg. It is a small speck close to the tube base so it should not cause any problem. If you doubt, you may scrape it off with piece of metal. Please let me know if you find any other issue.

Sincerely,
Jack

Apr 11, 2010 at 8:40 PM Post #4 of 33
Sounds like "the mail room" shipped you the wrong amp (someone else likely got yours).

That can happen in a busy operation, which is also a small business - sometimes boxes get mixed at the end of the day, when people are rushing to get the shipments out, before UPS / FedEx picks them up.

It happened to me with a DV 332 - I got an amp intended for a buyer in the UK and he got mine. But it was a lot more of an issue because the vendor was not a Woo Audio, and it was 13,000 miles away. I never did get my amp, but I did get my money back from MasterCard.

Apr 12, 2010 at 2:38 AM Post #5 of 33
Give some updates. Jack replied me very fast, and I still thinking of how to solve the problem.

Today I power on the WA2, sound great. That made me think about how the sound will be with Blackgate. What I can say is even with this full standard WA2 and yet to run-in, it is sound great and work good with low ohm headphone too. (my highest ohm headphone is K702 and this morning I tried the WA2 with my ED8)

Apr 12, 2010 at 3:21 AM Post #7 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradofan2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sounds like "the mail room" shipped you the wrong amp (someone else likely got yours).

That can happen in a busy operation, which is also a small business - sometimes boxes get mixed at the end of the day, when people are rushing to get the shipments out, before UPS / FedEx picks them up.

It happened to me with a DV 332 - I got an amp intended for a buyer in the UK and he got mine. But it was a lot more of an issue because the vendor was not a Woo Audio, and it was 13,000 miles away. I never did get my amp, but I did get my money back from MasterCard.

i dont think that could happen. from what i know, wooaudio only build upon orders. swapped items are not likely to happen.

Apr 12, 2010 at 4:37 AM Post #8 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Double F /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Could Black Gates be over rated? IMHO they are. There is a reason no one has started producing again.

Plus, if a blackgate cap goes bad in a couple of years, what's the chances of getting a replacement? I'd say not good

Apr 12, 2010 at 6:24 AM Post #9 of 33
I really like my Blackgates in My Woo 3+ modified. Have heard a lot of Woo Amps. How many meets do we have in Seattle again? From my experience. I would send the amp back and get the one with the Blackgates. Yes I know they take about 2-3 months to burn in. To me Very Worth it.

Apr 12, 2010 at 7:11 AM Post #10 of 33
Woo's are first class amps for sure.
However it's worrying for overseas customers to receive the wrong order as it might be expensive to send back, not to forget custom clearance delays etc.
The 6080 rusty pin is nothing to worry about, a pair of Bendix will be a nice upgrade.

Apr 12, 2010 at 7:15 AM Post #11 of 33
I bought the Alessandro MS-2i because of my Bendix 6080WB. The Clarity is awesome.

Apr 12, 2010 at 7:28 AM Post #12 of 33
Big Poppa What's your driver tubes?

Apr 12, 2010 at 7:34 AM Post #13 of 33
Tesla E88CC Rhodium plated. Very Detailed.

Apr 12, 2010 at 7:44 AM Post #14 of 33
Big Poppa I can see the smile on your face!

Apr 12, 2010 at 7:52 AM Post #15 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG POPPA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really like my Blackgates in My Woo 3+ modified. Have heard a lot of Woo Amps. How many meets do we have in Seattle again? From my experience. I would send the amp back and get the one with the Blackgates. Yes I know they take about 2-3 months to burn in. To me Very Worth it.

I could not agree more, Big Poppa. As an ex-user of WA6SE, I do also really satisfy with my Blackgates mod. And I will do it again in my coming WA22 but all Blackgates caps will cost an arm and leg.
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back