Got a speeding ticket... need advice (NY)
Dec 2, 2008 at 1:24 AM Post #46 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by nick_charles /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is your point that long distances and heavy traffic are a valid excuse for speeding ? If so I have to say that if you would like to read the ROSPA research you will find it is far more dangerous than keeping to the speed limit.

Try the South Circular in London if you want to experience really frustrating driving, and I have driven in New York State and NYC. I will admit driving in NYC was pretty unpleasant. Though in absolute terms driving in LA was the absolute pits, an unremittingly awful experience.

Then it would be in his interests to drive more circumspectly and not get any more points. Nobody is forcing him to break the speed limits.

It is 3 to 6 points in the UK for speeding and collecting 12 points in 3 years can lead to temporary disqualification. But nobody is forcing him to speed.

Not the opinion of traffic safety bodies, ROSPA for instance is firmly in favour of high penalties for speeding.

Look, the OP comes here and admits to speeding , but shows no remorse or sense of guilt or wrongdoing and instead tries desperately to dodge the consequences of *his* actions, nobody elses. The lesson he is getting from a contingent here is that you should do all you can to evade the consequences of your actions and not be a responsible adult. Some people here happen to think this is not a good life lesson to learn.

LOL. Who made you the judge and jury? You guys need to get out more...

So what, he went 15MPH over the speed limit. MrSlacker came here to ask for tips on how to fight the points and get on with his life. Quit preaching, there's nothing more absurd when people feel that they need to talk down to other members (especially the younger crowd) as if they are naive. Would you prefer a personal apology? See how absurd that sounds?

Dec 2, 2008 at 1:31 AM Post #47 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dzjudz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well that is just ignorant. The Randstad area in the Netherlands is one of the largest conurbations of Europe and the traffic situation is horrific. For the rest of your post I second nick_charles' response. We have a point system here too and it's probably worse than yours. However, I have never gotten a ticket, because it is not that hard to avoid getting a ticket. Seriously. All these arguments about 'everybody does it' and 'you won't get anywhere if you don't speed' are crap arguments. That is my point of view and I feel that if you speed you face the consequences.

Please. I'm not going to even waste my breath...now I remember why I don't waste my time here on HF...apparently none of you make mistakes.

/get off your high horse

Al, don't listen to these clowns, my opinion? Go fight the ticket, see if you can get the points knocked off, even partially. Try the DMV in Coney, it moves smoothly (I've been there before with my brother to fight a bogus ticket and it was thrown out). Best of luck and don't speed even if you think its not that big of a deal.

Dec 3, 2008 at 12:51 AM Post #48 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No insurance company is going to raise his rates because of one speeding ticket.
If they do, go the Caveman route and get Geico. My wife and I each have a violation, my latest one being the "Emergency Vehicle" violation and every 6 months when Geico re-assesses our insurance, they send us a letter showing us the violations and ask us to please be more careful.
Allstate did the same.

Bottom line (as was stated by others here). He sped, he got caught, and he should pay the fine and move on.

you guys have really nice insurance companies. TD insurance basically raised our rates for 3 years for a 60km/h on a 40km/h road

Dec 3, 2008 at 12:54 AM Post #49 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by kansei /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Some laws were made to be broken. Some laws are obsolete. There are places where the speed limit is deliberately lowered by the municipality so they can trap speeders for $$$$$.

There is a place a few towns over where the speed limit is 25 MPH on a 4 lane divided highway. Ridiculous.

What's more, there are municipalities that hire private companies who litter the landscape with speed enforcement cameras. The private company gets a percentage of all money collected from the fines. Just look at Phoenix, they made the papers with their newest scheme. Here is another link on this. Study: Maryland county's red light cameras net $2.85 million, increase accidents - Autoblog

What even bothers me more are the red light cameras. The companies who are hired by the town shorten the duration of the yellow light so more people "run" the light. 6 Cities That Were Caught Shortening Yellow Light Times For Profit

The towns should concentrate on curtailing dangerous drivers, not printing tickets for profit. In addition, some of the speed limits are downright ridiculous and should be revised.

I have to agree with this. Ive seen some speed posts really ridiculous and the police camp quite frequently at those places to ambush. I don't mind about the American States' efforts though since they are doing something about their deficits.

Dec 3, 2008 at 2:41 PM Post #51 of 62
haha of course I will be fighting it!

George, thanks for the advice man. I knew when starting this thread that many people will lecture me on safe driving and all that so I really pay no attention to them and just ignore the posts.

Dec 3, 2008 at 8:28 PM Post #52 of 62
Mr. Slacker! What did you do again?
smily_headphones1.gif
Unfortunately the state of NY is in such a bad state that the cops are looking for anything in order to give tickets. I was up in Syracuse for thanksgiving and they were pulling everyone and i mean all cars going by at a low traffic road in order to find something to give tickets to.

Dec 3, 2008 at 8:47 PM Post #53 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrSlacker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
haha of course I will be fighting it!

George, thanks for the advice man. I knew when starting this thread that many people will lecture me on safe driving and all that so I really pay no attention to them and just ignore the posts.

Any time brotha! I finally busted out my ignore list and added those two clowns.

Dec 3, 2008 at 11:42 PM Post #54 of 62
Quote:

I knew when starting this thread that many people will lecture me on safe driving and all that so I really pay no attention to them and just ignore the posts.

Al, I don't think that's it's a matter of driving safe. I do an average of 3000 miles a month for work and I speed all of the time (usually, no more than 9 miles above the speed limit, but if I see a group of cars that are speeding excessively, I usually join them for a while and make up time for my bathroom stops).

The main point is that I know that I am breaking the law, and if I get caught, then so be it, I knew what I was doing and as a mature adult, I have to deal with the consequences.
Will that stop me from speeding tomorrow? Absolutely not. Today I was on I-81 going from PA to Upstate NY and there wasn't a car around on completely straight road. I took it up for a while, counted my blessings and then backed it down to 74 for the remainder of the ride.
I ride one of the fastest motorcycles in the world, and I realized that if I do over a 100 mph all of the time, I'm bound to get caught. So every once in a while, I punch it to 130-140 for 20 seconds, and then I back it down. I get my ya-yas out and then go back to being an upright citizen.
The point that some others were making here, was that you did something that you knew was wrong, showed no remorse, and was asking for a way to beat the system.
If everyone did that, all the time, this whole world would be in total chaos. There has to be some limits and morals.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dimitris /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was up in Syracuse for thanksgiving and they were pulling everyone and i mean all cars going by at a low traffic road in order to find something to give tickets to.

Hey Dimitris, I am in Syracuse right now, and I was shocked that I didn't see one cop between PA and Syracuse on 81. Timing is everything.

Dec 4, 2008 at 2:23 AM Post #55 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Al, I don't think that's it's a matter of driving safe. I do an average of 3000 miles a month for work and I speed all of the time (usually, no more than 9 miles above the speed limit, but if I see a group of cars that are speeding excessively, I usually join them for a while and make up time for my bathroom stops).

The main point is that I know that I am breaking the law, and if I get caught, then so be it, I knew what I was doing and as a mature adult, I have to deal with the consequences.
Will that stop me from speeding tomorrow? Absolutely not. Today I was on I-81 going from PA to Upstate NY and there wasn't a car around on completely straight road. I took it up for a while, counted my blessings and then backed it down to 74 for the remainder of the ride.
I ride one of the fastest motorcycles in the world, and I realized that if I do over a 100 mph all of the time, I'm bound to get caught. So every once in a while, I punch it to 130-140 for 20 seconds, and then I back it down. I get my ya-yas out and then go back to being an upright citizen.
The point that some others were making here, was that you did something that you knew was wrong, showed no remorse, and was asking for a way to beat the system.
If everyone did that, all the time, this whole world would be in total chaos. There has to be some limits and morals.

Oh give me a break! This has to be one of the most ridiculous things I've read in a while. Everyone speeds, even you yourself admitted it. I haven't read a single sentence from Al that says, "hey I didn't do anything wrong, why did I get this stupid ticket." Remorse? Stop acting so high and mighty, take a look around, you're no different than anyone else here. Speeding and getting ticketed doesn't automatically mean you need to show remorse to your peers. What kind of half-assed approach is that to living? By your own admittance, you've been speeding up until present time. Based on the speed limit and how far he went over, its not a big deal. Going 100 in a 30MPH would've been a different story. In fact:

"I ride one of the fastest motorcycles in the world, and I realized that if I do over a 100 mph all of the time, I'm bound to get caught. So every once in a while, I punch it to 130-140 for 20 seconds, and then I back it down. I get my ya-yas out and then go back to being an upright citizen."

Hypocrite:

1. a person who pretends to have virtues, moral or religious beliefs, principles, etc., that he or she does not actually possess, esp. a person whose actions belie stated beliefs.

/I'm done with this thread.

Dec 4, 2008 at 2:43 AM Post #57 of 62
Nothing that I said in my post is hypocritical. Nothing. I admitted that I do speed and only pointed this out to show that we have to be responsible for our actions. Why are you taking this so personally?

Please tone down your aggression a bit. This is a forum based upon the opinions of others.
Perhaps this thread would benefit if you did drop out of the conversation. Your response to my post was extremely aggressive and immature.
Take a chill pill.

Obviously, there are 2 schools of thought here, and it seems that if people don't side with you, your response is "give me a break". You seem to have an agenda. Either you follow the rules that are laid down before us by the government, or, if you get caught, you pay the consequences. Plain and simple. Don't have an aneurysm over it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gloco /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh give me a break! This has to be one of the most ridiculous things I've read in a while. Everyone speeds, even you yourself admitted it.

If this is one of the most ridiculous things that you have read in a long time, perhaps you need to get out and read a bit more.

...and, just to interject some fact here, everyone does not speed. You are talking in absolutes.

Dec 4, 2008 at 3:12 AM Post #58 of 62
Quote:

Got a speeding ticket... need advice (NY)

Don't speed..
biggrin.gif

And if you do, keep it within 5 MPH of the speed limit. It's not really BS, it's the law.

Dec 4, 2008 at 2:33 PM Post #59 of 62
I recall the three times I've had an Illinois moving violation I had the option of paying a fee and taking a one-half day driving class. This expunged the violation from my records--or at least hid it from the insurance companies.

Illinois also has/had a one-day class for recidivists.

However, things may be different for out-of-state drivers. Also, I've been away for three years, so things in general may have changed. YMMV

EDIT: Hi Mr. Slacker!

Dec 4, 2008 at 5:48 PM Post #60 of 62
George and Aaron, stop already!

I AM taking responsibility for this, thats why I said I have no problems with paying the fine. I have a problem with NY point system and that was my OP about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back