Got a Sony MZ-RH910 Minidisc Recorder
May 9, 2005 at 8:56 PM Post #31 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Superbaldguy
I think you'll find the RH10 (maybe the RH910, as well) have a "fake" line out by toggling with the headphone out on the menu. Not as effective as a dedicated line out, but MD units haven't had those since the MZ-R55 era.

Nope, No Fakie Out either SBG (on RH910). The last of HiMD or MD to have those would be th NH line of players/recorders.

May 9, 2005 at 9:03 PM Post #32 of 43
Rats.

I guess we'll have to wait for a new flagship MDR to suceed the NH1. I might bite on on a Hi-MD unit, then..........

May 10, 2005 at 1:35 AM Post #33 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Damage
Nope, No Fakie Out either SBG (on RH910). The last of HiMD or MD to have those would be th NH line of players/recorders.

Dang, that sucks...oh well, I guess we traded popularity/publicity with a line-out. I guess we could all pick up NH1s for cheap though...

May 10, 2005 at 1:41 AM Post #34 of 43
Do yourself a favor and don't use LP2 unless you really have to. For me, it's good enough to be portable and all that, but it's still 132 kbps and it sucks. Record SP whenever possible, and MP3 is probably more convenient as it has the potential for using a lot less space, especially on a 1 gig Hi-MD disc!

May 10, 2005 at 4:15 PM Post #35 of 43
Funny.

I was wandering around electronic stores last night looking at Zens and iRivers. I saw some MD players and thought to myself "do people still actually buy those?". I came home, browsed this thread and discovered the answer is yes.

Anyway, I have an RH910 now and a fine purchase it is.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 20, 2005 at 10:22 AM Post #36 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by MD1032
Do yourself a favor and don't use LP2 unless you really have to. For me, it's good enough to be portable and all that, but it's still 132 kbps and it sucks. Record SP whenever possible, and MP3 is probably more convenient as it has the potential for using a lot less space, especially on a 1 gig Hi-MD disc!

Can I put MP3 in the news HI-MD players (I has the MZ-NH600) without convert it to Atrac3plus?

-Maurus

Sep 20, 2005 at 10:40 AM Post #37 of 43
regarding the line out on the rh910/rh10, there is no line out. agreed.

but, with the eq off and the volume at maximum, it is very frikkin close to a line out level. you can test this with line outs of the nh900 or the nh1.. or any other portable line out...

Sep 20, 2005 at 2:06 PM Post #38 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bittergourd
MD1032,
Is that based on the comparison between the direct mp3 playback from MD vs. HDD MP3 player, or is it based on the ATARC compression?

Because I'm considering the new MZ-RH10 (The design and the OLED are just too sexy!), but I'm curious about how the performerance of MP3 playback compare to the current HDD MP3 player models...(I have Rio Karma)

Theres an issue with the MP3 playback on these HiMD. The issue is covered on minidisc.org forums (currently down). Basically the EQ is tweaked to that MP3's sound different (most agree worst) than ATRAC. Most are happy enough with the sound once you adjust the EQ to compensate. Though obviously ATRAC is a better "format" on Sony Devices if you are encoding from the original source.

Sep 20, 2005 at 2:09 PM Post #39 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by maurus
Can I put MP3 in the news HI-MD players (I has the MZ-NH600) without convert it to Atrac3plus?

-Maurus

No only the second gen RH710/RH910/RH10 have native MP3 playback.

Sep 20, 2005 at 2:30 PM Post #40 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by MD1032

I think the best compromise SQ/Filesize for a HiMD is HiSP (256). Theres little difference in a portable scenerio between SP(292) and HiSP (256). Yes LP2(132) is better than HiLP (64) but HiLP is a lot smaller, and if you are going accept low SQ for more tracks then you might aswell use HiLP. I use PCM for recording and HiSP for everything else.

That said some people are very happy with the sound at HiLP and LP2.

Sep 20, 2005 at 3:18 PM Post #43 of 43
For you...It's LP2(132) similar to MP3 192 Kbps and HILP(64) it's similar to MP3 128 Kbps?

Double size of LP2 it's also double SQ?

-Maurus

Users who are viewing this thread

Back