Got a Sony D-250 (= D-25) discman!
Jul 26, 2002 at 8:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

wab

500+ Head-Fier
After all this talk about the D-25 I couldn't resist when I saw a perfect condition D-250 for $20. Apparently the D-25 is called D-250 outside the US.

The looks are amazing! Easily the best looking PCDP I know, maybe the Z555 looks nice too but I've never seen one in real life. The all metal construction and backlit display are very cool.
The sound is very good. Directly out of the headphone jack it really makes my Beyer DT250-80's shine. There's a lot more air and detail than I'm used to. Although the manual says it has only 9mW + 9mW (32 Ohm), it can also go insanely loud. I keep the volume at MIN or maybe a bit higher for very dynamic recordings. I don't have an amp to try the line-out, maybe I'll connect it to my speaker system later.

Anyway, you all probably allready knew this. I'm just very happy with it.

BTW The manual says there's a wireless remote for this thing. How cool is that?!

Jul 27, 2002 at 6:40 AM Post #2 of 13
Hi Wab,

Thanks for the info, I didn't know that the D25 and the D250 were the same thing, i'll have to keep a look out for that model now
smily_headphones1.gif

Is it the black or the silver finish?

Oh, and FYI, the remote control, some (depending on the model of the player) were ubher cool... credit card size... i'd love to get an older style player that would have one of those...
biggrin.gif

Jul 27, 2002 at 11:44 PM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by Duncan
Hi Wab,

Thanks for the info, I didn't know that the D25 and the D250 were the same thing, i'll have to keep a look out for that model now
smily_headphones1.gif

Just a heads up on the model numbers for early Sony PCDP's. Japanese (maybe all asian market) Sony PCDP's frequently had a "0" following the one or two digit model number that we got in the states, for example, D-350=D-35, D-2=D-20, and the previously mentioned D-25=D-250. One of the exceptions to this appears to be the models that have three digits in the US, like the D-555 and D-303. Sony seems to have dropped this practice sometime around 1992 or 1993 from what I can tell. This info may not be 100% accurate, but it is what my experience has been buying older Sony PCDP's. I have heard another person or two mention this practice by Sony also.

-Keith

Aug 3, 2002 at 2:59 AM Post #5 of 13
anyone have a picture of how this sony d250 looks like?

Aug 3, 2002 at 9:04 AM Post #6 of 13
It looks exactly like the D-25, which looks exactly like the D-25S which is written up in the portable reviews section, only black instead of gray.

-Keith

Oct 28, 2002 at 10:10 AM Post #8 of 13
I think they all did (D-25/0/s), but since the majority of D-25's owned by Head-fiers here were purchased from Silicon Salvage, they never had the wireless remote included. Which is a shame, because it would have come into so much handiness
biggrin.gif

Oct 28, 2002 at 8:59 PM Post #9 of 13
Yes,

Wireless remote is RM-DM5k (very nasty controller and nice "eye")
"Eye" can use DM7 controller (c-card size) from newer models.
Wired remote is RM-DM2.

Wireless remote units are exchangeable with all old models,
D-25, D-555, D-J50...

Dec 6, 2002 at 3:16 AM Post #10 of 13
Greetings all,

I'm new to the board and, like some of you, just purchased a d-25s from Silicon Salvage on eBay. I've liked this model since around the time it came out and always wanted one but couldn't afford it (I was only in junior high!). Do you guys know the actual release date for this model and do you know what accessories originally came packaged with it? Thanks a lot!

Dec 8, 2002 at 5:36 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by mx5_00
Greetings all,

I'm new to the board and, like some of you, just purchased a d-25s from Silicon Salvage on eBay. I've liked this model since around the time it came out and always wanted one but couldn't afford it (I was only in junior high!). Do you guys know the actual release date for this model and do you know what accessories originally came packaged with it? Thanks a lot!

My D-25 was made in 1989. I think that it originally came with a remote, battery, AC adapter, and manual. If you want the manual (I scanned it and uploaded the images) go here: http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showt...threadid=21556

Users who are viewing this thread

Back