got a Question
Mar 17, 2007 at 5:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

GravY

100+ Head-Fier
ok..

I've got a pair of E500's that I use with a Zune.. the sound with no EQ settings is flat and lacking bass so I have to use some of the pre defined EQ settings, the one that gives me the bass that I want is acoustic but this veils the treble and closes in the sound.. moving to any of the other presets just doesnt sound right to my ear, always seems to leave a hole somewhere in the sound..

I have a LDM+ that I used to used with an Iriver PMP-120 and a pair of E3C's, the Amp + a customizable EQ I could get very good sound out of them with Zero Hiss..

Move on to the Zune and the E500's, with the LDM+ I get hiss but not too loud and a little bit of a boost in bass however it drops what highs I have even further..

Is there a Portable amp that I can get that wont break the bank that would take whats there (no EQ) and make it sound full without having to use any presets? I like a warmer sound and while not a Bass head I do like to have it present yet balanced.. not sure if this is asking to much, I'll see what you experts have to say..

thanks for your time..

Mar 17, 2007 at 11:28 AM Post #2 of 7
So the Zune doesn't have a custom EQ ? I just moved from a Zen Vision:M to iPod and the only thing I miss having is a custom EQ which I need to get the most out of my E4. I know the E500 is a step above the E4 all around but if you find the E500 lacking treble extension I don't think you'll find any amp that can replace what an EQ does. The better portable amps might almost get you there, atleast bass wise.

To my ears the E4 sounds rolled-off treble wise(bass is good). I would boost 13 kH. on the Zen EQ and that made them sound better...my ety ER4 on the other hand are perfect for me using no EQ from iPod and sounding amazing with line out to a SuperMini IV.

These days I only use my E4 in bed and listen at the lowest possible volume(until it actually cuts off) , but I use the iPods treble boost which makes them too bright at much higher volumes.

I wish all portable players had 7 bands or more of custom EQ.

Mar 17, 2007 at 1:27 PM Post #3 of 7
One of the "low-gain" Go-Vibe models would be a nice affordable option.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 17, 2007 at 3:19 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So the Zune doesn't have a custom EQ ? I just moved from a Zen Vision:M to iPod and the only thing I miss having is a custom EQ which I need to get the most out of my E4. I know the E500 is a step above the E4 all around but if you find the E500 lacking treble extension I don't think you'll find any amp that can replace what an EQ does. The better portable amps might almost get you there, atleast bass wise.

To my ears the E4 sounds rolled-off treble wise(bass is good). I would boost 13 kH. on the Zen EQ and that made them sound better...my ety ER4 on the other hand are perfect for me using no EQ from iPod and sounding amazing with line out to a SuperMini IV.

These days I only use my E4 in bed and listen at the lowest possible volume(until it actually cuts off) , but I use the iPods treble boost which makes them too bright at much higher volumes.

I wish all portable players had 7 bands or more of custom EQ.

well when I say lacking its lacking but there when using no EQ.. I would have thought that some of these nicer amps would take this signal and boost so one wouldnt need a pre-set EQ that alters the music..

my biggest problem is I work at a Ford Plant, there is alot of noise going on at levels that bleed through my plugs, listening to these at home they sound fantastic, sound much better with No EQ at home than work, the sound is there it just needs some pumping up. Bass needs the most help but I dont want to just bloat the hell out of the bottom end and not keep everything else in balance.

Mar 17, 2007 at 4:16 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by GravY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well when I say lacking its lacking but there when using no EQ.. I would have thought that some of these nicer amps would take this signal and boost so one wouldnt need a pre-set EQ that alters the music..

I not sure I understand your intentions clearly but a very good amp should not boost any frequency per say but perhaps color the sound a small amount.

I have a portable amp which has a bass boost, very few do. It works very well with my ER4 but is too much for my E4.

Mar 17, 2007 at 4:21 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I not sure I understand your intentions clearly but a very good amp should not boost any frequency per say but perhaps color the sound a small amount.

I have a portable amp which has a bass boost, very few do. It works very well with my ER4 but is too much for my E4.

ok, thats what I needed to know..

thanks for all the help..

Mar 17, 2007 at 4:55 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by GravY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ok, thats what I needed to know..

thanks for all the help..

You're welcome. I hope you find the sound that you're looking for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back