Got a question about the Beyer DT770
Oct 9, 2002 at 8:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Xeno7651

500+ Head-Fier
Hi,

What are the differences in sound between the 250ohm and 600ohm version of the Beyer DT770.
I will be driving the headphone with a META42, so I was wondering how these two versions of the headphone will do on the amp.
I'm also considering of getting a Senn HD580, but for the music I listen to (mostly pop and dance/techno/trance), what do you recommend between the Beyer DT770 and the Senn HD580?

Thanks for any input.

Oct 9, 2002 at 10:52 PM Post #2 of 11
The 250 ohm has been rated by most people as either identical in performance to the 600 ohm or slightly better-sounding. Some high-end users with expensive equipment who have A/B'd these phones have said the 250 ohm is much better.

I'd go with the 250-ohm because it uses a newer driver (the 600 ohm drivers are a holdover from 1985).

I own the DT770-250 and I have something to say about the DT770 and rock: They produce a more realistic image than the "neutral" DT250.

Here's why.

I have played electric guitar on numerous occasions (with earplugs!) and jammed with my electric violin for many hours with really talented rhythm guitarists. When a rhythm guitarists hits a hard chord and lets that chord decay while palm-muting, a massive low-frequency sound is produced by the guitar as the note decays. This sound is almost entirely absent from the DT250-80. It is reasonably present with the DT770, almost "live" sounding.

There's just too much midrange for my tastes on all of the headphones I have tried but the DT770.

I am a concert and solo violinist, and also play much rock and fusion music on the side. The most realistic musical impression of all headphones I have heard comes from the DT770.

The treble is also quite clear, making distorted guitars more apparent. Might be fatiguing for some but seems very transparent to me. If you're looking for a natural reproduction of sound, you've got a good headphone in mind.

I listen through a 4.5v airhead and sony DVP-NS500V.

For your kind of music, the DT770 will perform very well. Harsh treble on bad recordings will really stand out though
very_evil_smiley.gif

Cheers,
Geek

Edit: By comparing the DT770 to the DT250, I am assuming the DT250 sounds relatively similar to the Sennheiser HD580; at least, that's what headroom stated- the closed headphone most closely resembling the sound of the HD580/600 is the DT250. I have not heard the HD580 yet. However, I think the DT770 will work for you better than the HD580, but keep my personal bias in mind when making your decision.

Oct 9, 2002 at 11:13 PM Post #3 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by Geek
the closed headphone most closely resembling the sound of the HD580/600 is the DT250.

Really?

Oct 10, 2002 at 1:12 AM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by Xeno7651
Hi,

What are the differences in sound between the 250ohm and 600ohm version of the Beyer DT770.
I will be driving the headphone with a META42, so I was wondering how these two versions of the headphone will do on the amp.
I'm also considering of getting a Senn HD580, but for the music I listen to (mostly pop and dance/techno/trance), what do you recommend between the Beyer DT770 and the Senn HD580?

Thanks for any input.

What Geek said regarding the 250/600 ohm versions.

As for genres, both cans, which i own, work well with just about anything. Although, i do prefer for the Beyer's for rocking out and the Sennheisers for mellowing out. The senn's are definitely laidback as the beyer's are more upfront (but not Grado upfront) where its fatiguing, i dont consider the Beyer's fatiguing at all. You'll probbaly enjoy the Beyer's more However two things to consider, the cord is quite short on the Beyer's and they are NOT for people who have big heads, the 770's barely fit me.

Oct 10, 2002 at 1:25 AM Post #5 of 11
geek,

well said. the DT 770-250 have become my favorite phone. i do wish it had a bit more mid though. on the other hand, the mids do sound very clear and focused on the DT 770.

i agree with you on the treble. quite revealing, IMO.

to me, the only thing the HD580s do better is acoustic piano and female vocals.

Oct 10, 2002 at 1:31 AM Post #6 of 11
Magicthyse: Yes, that's true. Headroom stated that. That is the primary reason why lots of the guys doing work on computers at the HeadRoom building were wearing Beyers when I walked in the door!

Arnett: A great 'phone and indeed recessed in the upper mids a bit. It's usually to my benefit, however, as many of the recordings I listen to have somewhat boosted upper mids anyways.

Gloco: I find the cord on the DT770 to be actually about ideal; then again, I don't move around when listening to music unless i'm carrying my portable setup with me!

They do fit a bit tight; but that's part of the reason for their superior isolation and low-end performance.

Oct 10, 2002 at 2:05 AM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by Geek
That is the primary reason why lots of the guys doing work on computers at the HeadRoom building were wearing Beyers when I walked in the door!

This is kinda off topic, but how was your visit to HeadRoom?
Can you try out alot of phones and amps if you just walk in?

I only ask because I have considered flying to Bozeman for a couple days just to visit HeadRoom.

Oct 10, 2002 at 4:12 AM Post #8 of 11
When I walked into headroom, I was obsessed with the idea of buying the ultimate gaming headphone.

They were actually quite shocked to see someone besides a headroom employee walk into their store, especially someone of my age. Todd hooked me up with a pair of 250-80's, gave me a quick rundown of why my choice was a good one, and I spent about 10 minutes auditioning them.

I didn't talk much and remained fairly quiet, and after enjoying the sonics of the 80s I purchased them and off I went.

If you want to visit and chat with headroom I'd just go for it!

Cheers,
Geek

Oct 10, 2002 at 6:02 AM Post #9 of 11
The 770pros definately make a good 'rockin out' headphone, especially with some of the less well produced music out there - they're detailed, but forgiving of bad recordings so you're not distracted by how badly produced some stuff is.

The 250s are pretty much the same IMHO, I find both models to be particularly UN-fatiguing and very enjoyable for long periods of time
smily_headphones1.gif

I like the 531s best overall though.

Oct 12, 2002 at 12:04 AM Post #10 of 11
Snufkin: The 531 sounds like a really nice open headphone. I'll have to audition one in the future!

Cheers,
Geek

Oct 12, 2002 at 3:30 AM Post #11 of 11
The HD580 is a more detailed and less fatiguing headphone (I find thick and overwrought bass headache inducing). Despite their dark tilt I still find the DT770's treble isn't as smooth or linear.

Boy, can they get down with drum n' bass music though!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back