Got a question about DVD Player to external DAC
Apr 23, 2008 at 5:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

MrLA

500+ Head-Fier
I've just sold my trusty Sony CDP (
frown.gif
) and now using an el cheapo DVD Player as a transport connecting to my Paradisea DAC. In the DVD Digital Setup Menu, is it better to use Digital -> PCM or Bitstream? thanks.

Apr 25, 2008 at 4:38 PM Post #3 of 11
Hi,
I was in a similar situation (though I have not sold my Sony CDP yet!).
My Toshiba SD3960 is connected via digital coax to the Paradisea, and the setting on the DVD player is PCM for all 2 ch inputs. I believe the other option (atleast on the SD3960, Raw) will fry the either the DAC, or the following 2 ch integrated amp or, most likely, the speakers. If the DVD player is connected directly to a multi-ch receiver then the Bitstream may work correctly.

PbR

May 6, 2008 at 4:23 PM Post #4 of 11
PbR, thanks for you input. I think "raw" and "bitstream" are one and the same, and it should be selected if the downstream is multi-channel. but for the feeding to 2-channel dac i'm not sure which to be used , digital pcm or bitstream/raw, for best result. to change the setting i have to take this dvd player to my tv and reconnect it in order i can access menu setup, which is a pain.

i guess no one here uses dvd player as a transport feeding their headphones rigs.

May 6, 2008 at 5:37 PM Post #5 of 11
I'm doing the same thing...Denon DVD player. I won't have my DAC until next week, but have been wondering about this as well, as I'll have the DAC going to a HP amp. I think PCM is the way to go, since you're not sending the signal to a multi-channel decoder.

May 8, 2008 at 3:24 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrLA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
PbR, thanks for you input. I think "raw" and "bitstream" are one and the same, and it should be selected if the downstream is multi-channel. but for the feeding to 2-channel dac i'm not sure which to be used , digital pcm or bitstream/raw, for best result. to change the setting i have to take this dvd player to my tv and reconnect it in order i can access menu setup, which is a pain.

i guess no one here uses dvd player as a transport feeding their headphones rigs.

Digital PCM.. If you use bitstream you will get a annoying buzzing sound.

May 10, 2008 at 1:13 AM Post #10 of 11
I have been using a Toshiba DVD player for some time as a transport, and simply connected the Digital Out to the DAC. There were no problems. I had no idea it could get so complicated.
eek.gif
Retro-Grouch that I am, I prefer things to be simple.

Laz

May 17, 2008 at 3:38 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by alleyezon_d /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Unless your DAC can process DTS, Dolby, etc. you won't get sound unless it's set to PCM.

thanks for straighten that out! now, mine set to digital PCM and now my Paradisea DAC can process any signal that my el cheapo dvd player can read.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back