got a pair of ER6s! next, er4s? home audio?
Mar 12, 2004 at 4:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

eric521

New Head-Fier
Recently got a pair of ER6s. I don't consider myself an audiophile by any stretch, but I wanted to see what all the fuss was about good headphones.

It was my first pair of decent headphones (using EX71s before). I wasn't impressed at first, but after a few hours/days of listening and burn-in, they sound fantastic. This might sound like hyperbole, but I'm really enjoying music (of all types) more than ever before.

Last night, I popped in my ex71s, and I really found them unpleasurable to listen to. For that matter, I can hardly listen to music on my home system anymore (calling it a system might be stretch, its a cheap samsung HTIB). What's the most Head-Fi like forum for home audio?

So now, I not only need to get the ER4P/S in the near future, but I'll need to upgrade my home audio as well. My wallet is feeling the pain, and it is accepting the usual apologies (and donations). Any opinions on what I should invest in first (ER4s vs a decent home system)?

Mar 12, 2004 at 4:08 PM Post #2 of 6
First, welcome to Head-Fi, sorry about your wallet.

I haven't heard the ER6 but I recently bought the ER4P and I love them. Most people around here seem to think if you like the ER6, you'll love the ER4 (get the P with the S adaptor). The sonic signature is similar, just better on the 4.

Enjoy,
Scott

*edit* To better answer your question, I'd say get the 4P with S adaptor, then look at upgrading your source and amp. That's what I am doing.

Mar 13, 2004 at 7:32 AM Post #3 of 6
I don't like my EX-71s, and i haven't even heard the ER-6s that i'm ordering. I've been listening to my labtec 840 elite's, and recently at school i switched to my ex71's, and i absolutely could NOT LISTEN. i'm NOT KIDDING. the treble sounded very harsh and compressed-ish, bass is too boomy, and isolation is very sub-par. >_< i'm dissapointed with $50 headphones..
frown.gif

Mar 13, 2004 at 7:51 AM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

I don't like my EX-71s, and i haven't even heard the ER-6s that i'm ordering. I've been listening to my labtec 840 elite's, and recently at school i switched to my ex71's, and i absolutely could NOT LISTEN.

Those Labtec 840's cost $10 dollars and have unbearably shrill highs and no detail. In my opinion, the EX71's a little better. However you would probably be happy with ER6's. It's worth the money.

Mar 13, 2004 at 8:11 AM Post #5 of 6
The easy way to go is the ER-4P/S... Reason being, it's really a relatively low budget for creating a system that should be acceptible to get good sound in just about any situation.

For example, if you were to invest in a good headphone.. you'll need a good amp to bring out the same level of sound out of them. You'll get a fuller sound than the ER-4P/S, but ER-4P/S is still going to be more detailed than those headphones in its similar price class.

For example:
HD580 + amp => about $400 when it's all said and done

The only other suggestion I have is the Audio Technica A900.. it's the most versatile unamped, closed headphone for under $200. It's extremely forgiving, sound good out of just about anything. Extremely versatile and comfortable.

Mar 13, 2004 at 8:18 AM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally posted by br--
Those Labtec 840's cost $10 dollars and have unbearably shrill highs and no detail. In my opinion, the EX71's a little better. However you would probably be happy with ER6's. It's worth the money.

My labtecs actually cost $15.
biggrin.gif
They're "meh" for that price, and i like them better than my ex71s. The highs don't sound bad to me... Either something's wrong with my EX71's or with my ears, because i like 840's better than the canalphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back