Got a new pair of KSC-75's, to replace the old ones
Jan 13, 2008 at 8:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

vYu223

500+ Head-Fier
Yep, that's right. I got a new pair a KSC-75's to replace my old pair.

I performed the quarter mod and the kramer-mod on the old pair about two years ago... or whatever it says in my sig. Since then, the drivers have been wide open and exposed to anything in the atmosphere - dust, hair, earflakes, oil, football field turf (marching band), etc. After about two years of continuous use not only at home, but even in Mexico on a mission trip with the church, I felt that the headphones just lost their "magic" somehow. The enjoyment just wasn't there. Where's the sparkle? The clarity? The bass? I considered it a possibility that I've been listening to it for so long a time that I just got used to the sound, or something... but I looked closely at the drivers, and they just didn't look as reflective as they were supposed to look. No use cleaning them, because one of the drivers have a tiny dent because I drilled oversized holes in one of the grilles, causing the broken metal to bend in and touch the driver. But that happened a long time ago, and at that time, the 'phones still had their magic.

So, I decided to order another pair from amazon marketplace. When I received them, I was surprised to find that they were pod-less - meaning that they had no in-line attenuator.

I took them out of the packaging, didn't even listen to them yet, and started burning them in with pink noise at just a notch above normal listening volume. I left it burning in 24/7 for about five days.

I could not bare to wait until 300 hours were finished, so I just picked them up and started listening...

WOW! All of the magic that I was missing was back! And without all of the mods! I'm going to leave this pair unmodded so that it can last longer. Maybe I'll even put a layer of black pantyhose between the pads and the grilles.

The treble is sparkling again, the bass extends lower and resonates more, the mids are clear, etc., etc.

I'm just glad that I got the sound back
smily_headphones1.gif

For future reference, to those of you who have just gotten a new pair of KSC-75's for the first time or not, if you are considering performing the quarter/kramer mods, make sure you have black pantyhose or some sort of filter that will prevent any foreign materials from getting on to the drivers.

Jan 13, 2008 at 9:37 PM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nagasaki_Kid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
take off the grill and clean the driver surface with a cotton swab. I worked well for my last pair.

How do you remove the grill? I'd like to try that, i just picked up some electronics contact cleaner today.

Jan 13, 2008 at 9:41 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by dclancy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How do you remove the grill? I'd like to try that, i just picked up some electronics contact cleaner today.

you can even pop it off with your nail, if you have any... its very easy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back