Got a CA Mammoth after returning Andromeda due to very neutral signature and lacking a bit of bass. Disappointed. How could it be worse than IT01? It must be the source (no amp) and no eq setting right? (EDM/D&B/Classical)
Aug 9, 2023 at 1:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

canzz

New Head-Fier
Maybe not exactly worse, as it is certainly clearer than my IT01 in some ways, but it sounds very harsh, bass bleeding into mids making the vocals difficult to even hear properly, soundstage doesn't feel good, and it could be sibilant in some tracks. It also gives this metallic hiss kind of sound that makes it not very clear in some tracks. I mostly compared it with IT01 (And AS10) on some classical music, instrumental EDM tracks, and some D&B and although it could be clearer at some points, it feels fatiguing. What I've been expecting was, clean and strong bass and warm like IT01 but better clarity and separation. Unfortunately it certainly doesn't feel cleaner.

Source is my computer and I listen high quality Spotify stream and I mainly use silicone tips. It sounds a bit worse on my phone. Is this bad sound because of no Amp, bad tips or the music? Otherwise I a very very surprised how unbalanced and not clean the sound is considering it costs 5-6x times the price of IT01. Andromeda is very expensive and too neutral for me but it certainly made my jaw dropped in some tracks, and at least it sounded extremely clear and felt like a beast if it had fit my music preference. Mammoth feels very underwhelming. What do you think?

Replacements I am thinking of are below and I'd be happy to hear your opinions.
Campfire Honeydew - I believe this will be warmer but not sure if the bass would be cleaner and works okay with phone
FH3 - Some reviews made it seem to me like it is not very big of an upgrade over IT01
IE600 - There is big discount now so I can consider this, but many complains about sibilance as well, and complaints about quality, suddenly stop working
Moondrop Variations - A bit expensive, and bass is not as strong as IE600

Thank you!

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2023 at 7:00 PM Post #2 of 4
Maybe not exactly worse, as it is certainly clearer than my IT01 in some ways, but it sounds very harsh, bass bleeding into mids making the vocals difficult to even hear properly, soundstage doesn't feel good, and it could be sibilant in some tracks. It also gives this metallic hiss kind of sound that makes it not very clear in some tracks. I mostly compared it with IT01 (And AS10) on some classical music, instrumental EDM tracks, and some D&B and although it could be clearer at some points, it feels fatiguing. What I've been expecting was, clean and strong bass and warm like IT01 but better clarity and separation. Unfortunately it certainly doesn't feel cleaner.

Source is my computer and I listen high quality Spotify stream and I mainly use silicone tips. It sounds a bit worse on my phone. Is this bad sound because of no Amp, bad tips or the music? Otherwise I a very very surprised how unbalanced and not clean the sound is considering it costs 5-6x times the price of IT01. Andromeda is very expensive and too neutral for me but it certainly made my jaw dropped in some tracks, and at least it sounded extremely clear and felt like a beast if it had fit my music preference. Mammoth feels very underwhelming. What do you think?

Replacements I am thinking of are below and I'd be happy to hear your opinions.
Campfire Honeydew - I believe this will be warmer but not sure if the bass would be cleaner and works okay with phone
FH3 - Some reviews made it seem to me like it is not very big of an upgrade over IT01
IE600 - There is big discount now so I can consider this, but many complains about sibilance as well, and complaints about quality, suddenly stop working
Moondrop Variations - A bit expensive, and bass is not as strong as IE600

Thank you!
I have some Mammoths and thought the same about them, that they were a little harsh and sometimes sibilant. I set them aside in disappointment because I wanted an Andromeda with more bass. Recently I pulled them out after getting some new cables and found that with different tips and a warm copper cable that they settled down enough to be more what I was looking for. I really like them now, even just running out of an iPhone with a copper lightning cable. I am glad I kept them.

Another option could be CA Dorados. They have a warm signature with strong bass but are more refined than the Mammoths. They are on sale on Drop right now for $600. I have a pair and love them.

I think that the CA Honeydew would be a downgrade from the Mammoths, with lots of bass but less clarity. I have not tried the others you mentioned.

Aug 30, 2023 at 6:42 PM Post #3 of 4
How's this going canzz? I've had a few pairs of CFA IEM including Honeydew and I use exclusively Android smartphones as source. The Honeydew sounded great for me and were easily driven.
They also have the advantage of being cheap.
I should add that I used the CFA large bore tips.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2023 at 2:50 PM Post #4 of 4
From your original list, I have or have tried the following, ONLY using my Samsung S20 phone and PowerAmp library app with excellent EQ features:
CA Dorado: my current IEM for everything -- huge sound, a bit "dark" with some emphasis toward bass & mids, but responds to treble EQ very well without sibilance (for me).
CA Honeydew: only tried them and the Polaris briefly, both have bombastic bass, not much treble clarity.
Moondrop Variations: very refined, very good detailed bass (but not as much sub-bass), very clear all thru the spectrum, but a bit "tame" to me.
Fiio FH3 & 5: very mid-centered sound; too tame sounding for me.
Ikko OH10: love these cheaper IEMs; strong V shape with just enough mids to satisfy; and very wide spacious soundstage.

You can see other IEMs I have tried in my Sig line, all of which have been sold except for Dorado -- I love a powerful sound that can be very refined when needed.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back