Got a brand-spankin'-new pair of UM-2's. Here's a review!
Jan 31, 2006 at 5:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Funk-O-Meter

100+ Head-Fier
After much moaning and carying on because the UM-2's I ordered showed up one day later than I expected (just a joke) I listened to them really carefully for a couple hours and compaired them to everything else I have that makes good sound. Here's what I found:

Build: Built well. No worries about anything happening to them in the next few years. I'm a musician and I expect these to last me years on the road. Two minor complaints, and they are the same everyone says about these IEM's. 1. The distance between the IEM's and the point where the cables join is a few inches too short. I don't find a problem with the over all length of the cable to the plug though as many have found. 2. The little plastic sleeving that slides up and down the upper portion of the cables to hold the L and R cable together when running down the back of your neck looks like it'll last a month or two and tear right off. We'll see. would have been nice to have a more substantial hard plastic ring for this job. Maybe I'm wrong.

Fit: These are the second most comfortable IEM's I've ever put in my ears. the first being the UM-1's I tried and didn't like enough to listen to on stage every night. These are only second because they are physically larger due to the second driver and crossover. They sit far more comfortably than any of the Shure or Future Sonics, or Ety generic IEM's I've worn. Both flanges and the foam tips that come with them are very comfortable. I have no problem wearing them for hours like I did tonight. Even full size cans tend to rub on my ear after about an hour and make things uncomfortable. Not these. And they don't look too obvious either. They sit pretty close to the ear making them great for stage use where I'd rather not advertise my IEM's too much. They're clear too which helps. It also makes them look cool.

Sound: I'd been looking for an IEM that sounded better to me than my full size mid level cans I use in the studio all the time. (some middle of the road JVC cans.) Well they do. They have much more accurate bass and mids. Where the cans were very thumpy in the 50-80hz reagon the UM2's are pretty smooth down there. The upper bass/lower mids are much more present. They are't boomy at all. Although I've heard quicker bass, but the bass is fast or tight enough to not be an issue at all. Mids are pretty nice. MUCH nicer than the cans I've been using in the studio or the IEM's I've been using on stage which are all mids defficeint. This is a problem with %80 or all consumer audio gear in the world in my opinion. Highs are all represented pretty well but a little quieter. Just a bit. I'd say they start to take a dip about 6k and head down a few db. Probably no more than 4db. You can still hear the shinny top, just a little recessed. Much better than the UM-1's I tried or the EM-3's I have been using for the past few years on stage. The main thing I noticed it that the high end is not hyped at all. The cans I was using in the studio are all 8-10khz and 60hz. Real hyped. Now I put them on after using the UM-2's and I can't stand them. And that's what I was hoping I'd find. Over all everything is well represented and nothing is lacking. With an EQ around, I boost some 60hz and some 16khz for air because I'm still a fan of thump and air. But thats not Westone's fault. To date the UM-2 is the best sounding IEM's I've had the pleasure of having stuck in my head.

I also ran a frequency test using a sine wave to determine a. how well I hear these days and b. how well the UM-2's reproduce very high and low frequencies. The results of both were that I could detect 20hz to about 16,500hz. I tested my girlfriend while she was in the room cause whe wanted to know what the hell that racket was and and she tested 25hz to about 15khz. I told her she should clean her ears and try again, although I know plenty of people that can't hear past that anyway. I myself was surprised. last time I tested myself I couldn't hear past 13,500hz. I must have been clogged. HURRAY!.

There is an over all fealing I'm wearing headphones using the UM-2's. Which is fine cause I've rarely gotten that out of body experiance using cans anymore. I do with loudspeaders, but not cans. Strange. Anyway, there was a sense of things not quite being palpable with the UM-2's in. I don't feel compelled to reach out and grab the instruments. (unless I'm really drunk) I don't know quite what is is. I suppose its just the sound stage/imaging characteristics that all IEM's I've heard have. Sitting in fron of my nearfields in my studio while I type this listening to Muddy Waters play slide, I get more of the impression that he's right there in front of me. Not as much with the UM-2's. But almost. I think its a possitional audio thing.

I agree with what others have said about the UM-2's making all background noises obvious. More than any other Phone or speaker I've heard, for some reason you'll hear avery DAC jitter, Every motor noise and every ground buzz no matter how small. Good for me for cleaning up noisy Pro Tools sessions. I chalk it up to them being so sensative.

They RAWK!! I recommend them to everybody needing a great sounding IEM for stage or personal use. I think its the best value IEM's I've heard. Its right at the point of dimishing returns on spending. To get anything better sounding, you'd have to drop another $300. And the leap from the $100 or $150 models is exponential. If your a musician or an audio junkie....buy some. Don't think that the $100 models are gonna make you happy for very long.

Hurray Westone UM-2's. They cost me a chunk, but I'm sure I made the right decission. Especially after all the threads I read here about Futur Sonics owners having to buy new cables and having one side split open just for the fun of it. Though I bet they sound as good.

I'll add more later if I can think of anything.

k1000smile.gif

Jan 31, 2006 at 8:07 AM Post #2 of 16
I agree that the join between the right and left cables should be a bit lower, but in practice I've never had a problem with it. I find the sliding plastic completely useless, and I won't be sorry if and when it falls off (I can't imagine why I would use it anyway). I thought the shorter cable length would be a pain, but it hasn't been a problem.

I do find it difficult to get a seal with the Shure triflanges (I don't use foamies). Their original length is such that my right ear feels like it's seriously infected when I put them in all the way (literally agonizing pain!), but they don't quite isolate enough when cut down to be comfortable (I cut the stems down to the edge of the first flange). The Ety triflanges are wider and form a better seal, but not long enough on the stem of the UM2s.

I think they sound great. They're not as detailed as my Etys, but that's not what I was expecting out of them. They are much more musical headphones, if you see what I mean. They do pick up quite a bit of hiss out of my iPod (and some other sources I tried like my ThinkPad), and I'm going to see about ordering a volume attenuator or Ety convertor cable to eliminate it. Just quite enjoyable to listen to, though. Comfort was one of the big reasons why I ordered them, and they don't disappoint in this department. They are by far the most comfortable IEMs I've ever tried. I can even sleep with them both in, which was impossible with the er6is (and would be even worse with the er4s).

Jan 31, 2006 at 9:42 AM Post #3 of 16
The lack of detail made me trade them for an Eytmotic ER4, and what a difference it made
etysmile.gif

I don't find the UM2 that more comfortable, cause the 'cable behind ear'-design made my ears hurt after a while.. the foamies fit very well, but don't isolate as well as compared to my ER4..

Offcourse the UM2 has lots of bass, both in quantity and quality, but that problem is fixed when adding +3dB bass to the ER4 when using my portable amp.. they are more musical, that's true, but this couldn't convince me to keep them..

In my opinion, they are not worth the high pricetag.. Eytmotic comes close, but it still is hell a lot of money.. people call me crazy and stuff..

Jan 31, 2006 at 4:41 PM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Funk-O-Meter

1. The distance between the IEM's and the point where the cables join is a few inches too short

Could you turn your head without them popping out of your ear?

Jan 31, 2006 at 5:10 PM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by R MaN
Could you turn your head without them popping out of your ear?

I think he's talking about the overall cable length being a bit shorter than Shure and the likes. The only people I have heard having problems is those over 6'4". I'm 5'10" and find the cable length to be perfect and I use them at the gym too and never have any problems.

Congrats on your purchase!

Jan 31, 2006 at 5:19 PM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Funk-O-Meter

Build: Built well. No worries about anything happening to them in the next few years. 1. The distance between the IEM's and the point where the cables join is a few inches too short. I don't find a problem with the over all length of the cable to the plug though as many have found.

Sound:

I agree with what others have said about the UM-2's making all background noises obvious. More than any other Phone or speaker I've heard, for some reason you'll hear avery DAC jitter, Every motor noise and every ground buzz no matter how small.
k1000smile.gif

Do they look as well built as the EM-3's? I hate Shure's in that respect so they have to be better built than those. And.....Is the cable going OVER and behind your ear or hanging down the front past the lobes?

For the "noise" try a cut with your EQ at around 400 Hz. That is the frequency at which most room sounds leak into the mikes.

If you are using wireless try a boost at 10Khz.

Jan 31, 2006 at 5:20 PM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by wakeride74
I think he's talking about the overall cable length being a bit shorter than Shure and the likes. The only people I have heard having problems is those over 6'4". I'm 5'10" and find the cable length to be perfect and I use them at the gym too and never have any problems.

Congrats on your purchase!

I'm 5' 10" myself and dropped a 50" cord from my ears and it went below my knees a tad... So yeah, cord length should not pose a problem for me either......

Jan 31, 2006 at 7:30 PM Post #12 of 16
Bob_McBob: The little plastic tubeing thing is for musicians. The wires go over your ears and behind your neck. Then your push the tubeing up and it holds the IEM's tight in your ears and hids the cables so they look good on stage. Works well actually.

3lusiv3: Yes males vocals sound natural. Once again, I like to add bit of 14khz or 16khz. Also, the more I listen the more I find I need to pull out a few db of 8khz. It seems to make 's"s a little less sibilant. I imagine thats a character of the drivers which are probably metal.

R Man: yea, no problem with that.

Craftech: The UM-2's are built WAY better then the EM-3's. Those were built for crap. Sound pretty good though. They actually have a better thump than the UM-2's striaight out with no EQ. Most people would find them really boomy. Like the Super.fi EB's. I'd agree, but I like it. Mids and highs aren't as nice though. With a little EQ, the UM-2's whoop the crap out of the EM-3. I hear if you get some custom molds made for the EM-3's they're real comfortable which is not the case without them. And they won't last you more than a couple years I wouldn't think. Mine are shot. I think I'll get some custom molds made for them when I get them for my UM-2's. I'm gonna have to totally rebuild the EM-3's as the cables are spent. That should be fun.

Review additions:

There is a bit sibilance in these things that's kinda annoying. They might get better as they break in. Makes things kinds sibilant. Its not so bad with the flanges, but foamies its pretty obvious. I've come to think the flanges sound best anyways. With EQ I just pull out some 8k and all is well, however on my iPod, I can't do that cause the EQ sucks.

In the grand scheme of IEM's I found that most IEM's are good at producing one area of the audio spectrum and fall flat at others. Some have great bass, some have nice high end. Some have good mids and that about it. The UM-2's are the first IEM I've heard that can handle it all. They represent lows and mids very well. Highs are a little sibilant somtimes and could use a little more 'air'. This is easily remedied with a little EQ if you have it. Every IEM I've tried has shortcommings. The UM-2 have the most minor of all I've heard. They sound better than my mediocre headphones I use in the studio every day and they sound better to me than any other IEM's that I've tried except for the Future Sonic Ears which are twice the price. I'm gonna burn them in a while and get back with you if it helps.

You guys rock. Thanks for this forum.

Jan 31, 2006 at 10:04 PM Post #14 of 16
I got my UM-2s today as well and I am trying them out with short comply tips currently. It is pretty nice how they isolate me and allow me to feel alone with my music for the most part (since I have never tried closed cans before). I have also noticed how they are revealing of details and subtle nuances that I have never noticed before. I can definitely notice a lil bit of the sibilance though but I will play around with the EQ to correct it. Otherwise it gets two thumbs up.
biggrin.gif

Feb 28, 2006 at 4:29 PM Post #15 of 16
I also just got a new set of UM2... There is a great different in the way dual drivers and single driver can do... I ownd the Er4S too... Details level i can said it is about 80 to 90% that of ER4s.. Bass is great but alittle too bloomy and sometime it drown the details away..... Low and mid are great... high is recessed..

They also sound alttle bit darker...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back