Got a 2G iPod iTouch? You have a VOIP phone.
Dec 1, 2008 at 7:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Puppysmith

100+ Head-Fier
The 2G ipod itouch can be an sip phone and you can get a phone number for it. Microphones are available from the apple store as well as 3rd party.

Google youtube for huskermania and then search for "How to Call Your iPod Touch And Give It A Phone Number For Free"

Dec 2, 2008 at 2:17 AM Post #5 of 13
i don't feel like googling but is this the skype thing? i remember this was done on the first generation too and only being able to call in wi-fi areas seems rather useless for a mobile phone.

Dec 2, 2008 at 2:31 AM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by rockin_amigo14 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i don't feel like googling but is this the skype thing? i remember this was done on the first generation too and only being able to call in wi-fi areas seems rather useless for a mobile phone.

yeah, from what my friend told me a few minutes ago, it can be only used for VOIP calls.

Dec 2, 2008 at 3:49 AM Post #7 of 13
Might want to change the title, OP, "...SIP/VOIP phone."

Clearly it would be an iphone if it used a cellular network
biggrin.gif

Dec 2, 2008 at 3:51 AM Post #8 of 13
This is pretty cool I guess, could be handy for when you do over-sea's travel to just use a Skype-like function built into the Touch.

Dec 2, 2008 at 2:27 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by vagarach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Might want to change the title, OP, "...SIP/VOIP phone."

Clearly it would be an iphone if it used a cellular network
biggrin.gif

Clearly stated in post that it can be an SIP phone. A VOIP phone is a real phone. If you don't believe me ask Vonage.

Dec 2, 2008 at 2:31 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by rockin_amigo14 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Duh! Except for playing music, the iPod iTouch only works in wi-fi areas. Really!

Dec 2, 2008 at 4:24 PM Post #11 of 13
Nice! Another reason to score an iPod 3G

Dec 3, 2008 at 10:36 PM Post #12 of 13
For an extra $2 a month you can make your free WA state VOIP phone number a toll free number and pay only $0.06?? per minute.

There are several services that offer toll free numbers, but Kall8 is the only one I have found that does it for $2 a month plus the 6+ cents a minute.

You can get vanity toll free numbers but they are more expensive.

The ipKall free VOIP number takes a couple of days to show up in your email, so don't worry if you don't see it right away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back