Got 700 bucks, want some headphones
Jun 29, 2002 at 3:18 PM Post #32 of 58
I'm certain the Corda HA-1 can be ordered in either 110 or 220 since so many people in Europe do business with Meier.

At the World of Headphones tour, the Corda was relegated to a poor source and I believe many people's opinions of it reflect this. Those of us who own the amp and use it in our own rigs and/or have AB compared it with other amps consider it to be an excellent value, almost unanimously. (I don't think I've ever even seen one for sale used.)

The Beyerdynamic DT250 is closed. The Sennheiser HD580 is open, sounds better and costs more. If you can have an open headphone in your environment, the 580 would be preferable but then your need for a good source and amp (which I also recommended) increases. I don't at all agree with the recommendation to run the 580 with a portable amp and cheap soundcard if portability is not required.

Also, I generally consider the DT931 to be better with the 120ohm jack in the Corda HA-1 than the HD580 is from either Corda jack. It's closer to flat, does not suffer from recessed vocals and has tighter bass. These complaints of the HD580 can be resolved with some amplifiers, but in my experience not with amps in this price range can it be made to surpass the performance of the DT931. (MacDef warning: This is an unpopular opinion and does not reflect the views of HeadFi, its sponsors , its moderators or other HeadFiers.)

Jun 29, 2002 at 5:16 PM Post #33 of 58
Quote:

Originally posted by kelly
(MacDef warning: This is an unpopular opinion and does not reflect the views of HeadFi, its sponsors , its moderators or other HeadFiers.)

LOL!

Kelly,

Is the 931 really better than the 580 paired with the corda?? Does the 931, like the 580- (no comments) -have problems with music seeming incoherent, too much detail?? And how is the soundstage, comfort compared???

[size=xx-small]Add these questions to your considerations, Ebonyks, so my post remains on-topic... [/size]

Jun 29, 2002 at 5:24 PM Post #34 of 58
Quote:

Originally posted by Flasken
Is the 931 really better than the 580 paired with the corda?? Does the 931, like the 580- (no comments) -have problems with music seeming incoherent, too much detail?? And how is the soundstage, comfort compared???

Too much detail? *boggle*
The 931 seems coherent to me. Its only real issue is that it's bright when out of a 0ohm jack. With the 120ohm jack (or an adapter I suppose), that's resolved. It's possible the HD580 has slightly deeper bass, too, but it's pretty slight. Mostly you're just missing the midbass boost from the 580--like I said the 931 "seems flatter." These two phones are very very similar. They have about the same level of resolution. My opinions are mostly based on a Dallas HeadFi meet and I never got to hear the 931 with my RKV, for example, so I'm really curious how the pairing would be. My general opinion is that they're so close in performance that if you're ordering from Jan and you're on a budget, the 931 is like $70 cheaper or something. If you're tying to make every cent count and need the money for say, a DAC or soundcard, that's just what I'd recommend. I know not everyone agrees, it's cool. Just my opinion.

Oops, and the DT931 and DT831 are both very comfortable. The HD580 and HD600 are about as comfortable after they've broken in. All of them are really nice in that department.

Jun 29, 2002 at 6:03 PM Post #35 of 58
If I had $700 to spend on headphones, I would buy an AT W-100 and an Antique Sound Lab MG Head OTL which should just about take all the money I think.

That would be a beautiful sounding setup, no two ways about it.

Jun 29, 2002 at 8:48 PM Post #37 of 58
Relax, i'm sure to upgrade this setup. Audiophile-ism is a disease that you can't seem to get rid of.

As i said, i could easily sell my fortimisso 2 to a friend, and pick up a nice soundcard. Which do you reccomend?

Guys, i would really perfer an open headphone, that way i can hear basic things around the house, plus i can make sure that the headphones aren't too loud by faintly hearing the falling water.

And 40 db's is just a guess. As i said, if need be, i can silence it, so it's not any more than 30db's. IMO 30 db's is pretty quiet

Right now, i think a clou blue, HD-600's, and a HA-1 sounds like a good combo. I'll upgrade the soundcard later on.

Thanks again for all of your help so far
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 29, 2002 at 8:58 PM Post #38 of 58
Quote:

Originally posted by Ebonyks
Right now, i think a clou blue, HD-600's, and a HA-1 sounds like a good combo. I'll upgrade the soundcard later on.

No one ever believes me when I say that source matters.
Ah well, something about horses and water.

Jun 29, 2002 at 9:09 PM Post #39 of 58
Then I'll include a M-Audio 2448 Soundcard, and just sell my fortimisso 2 to a friend for 40 bucks if it makes a big difference.

Pardon my n00bish-ness, but what exactly is a ART DI/O DAC? You reccomended it, but i'm honostly not sure what it is.

And sometimes it's difficult sorting through all of the different opinions. I know that you all mean well, but at some point, i have to choose only one set of equiptment...

Jun 29, 2002 at 9:21 PM Post #40 of 58
Eb
You've got to be the friendliest newbie I've met.
smily_headphones1.gif

Don't worry about having to pick and choose from all our opinions. I won't be offended if you don't buy anything I recommend, I'll just think you're making a mistake. Heh.

I'm not sure you know what a DAC is so let me explain that first. DAC stands for Digital to Analog converter and it's the electronic componentry that transforms a digital bitstream into something you can amplify and listen to. Every component CD player and almost every soundcard has a DAC already, but most of them aren't very good. By using the digital output of the player or soundcard, you can use an external DAC. This is typically what is meant when we say DAC.

The ART DI/O is a strange little product from the Pro Audio world. It includes both a DAC and ADC so you can use it both to playback and to record. The DAC part of this is somewhat amazing for it's $250 retail price, so a few HeadFiers plug this thing into a soundcard or cheap DVD player and handily best most CD players under $1000. The only real problem with this is that it has a standard 7volt out instead of 2volt that is common in consumer hifi. This means that you won't have as much play in the volume (unless you ask Jan to reduce the gain before buying the HA-1). Some people, myself included, get the ART DI/O upgraded so that it spits out a common 2volt as well as replacing some of its cheap parts with good parts. For a budget system, the $250 stock DAC absolutely rules. But the best part is that you can get it from FullCompass for half that price at $125. Hard to beat. Your current soundcard may have an adequate digital out--I don't know. The M-Audio I suggested is known for having a clean non-upsampled output and that's why it was in the list.

My snide remark was aimed more generally than at you and I'm sorry if you took it personally. Many people here spend a lot of money on high end headphones and amplifiers but have a somewhat crummy CD player as the source. What this means, ultimately, is that they have a really clear view of just how bad the CD player sounds. Philosophically, I advocate spending a ltitle to upgrade your source first.

Welcome to HeadFi. Don't take us too seriously.

Jun 29, 2002 at 9:31 PM Post #41 of 58
Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif
. I'm one of the most known members at madonion, and have delt with alot of pain in the arse n00bs, so i try to be as polite as possible. There's nothing worse than someone who whines, is cynical, and a general idiot and expects help.

Thanks for the explination on the DAC, Since my income is all spendable, and i plan to contioniously upgrade, i wanted to use 700 bucks as a good base point. I'm thinking of buying the stuff in stages.

As i said, i really don't need a pair of sealed headphones, and while my experences are limited, i don't like the ausouctical qualities of sealed headphones i've had experences with. I just perfer the open feeling.

Right now, i'm planning to spend 700 bucks on the headphones and amp, right now, i think the HD-600's, and the HA-1 looks good for that. Then overtime, i plan to upgrade the parts, like the DAC, cables, soundcard, etc.

My computer runs fine for now, i have a 8500, and am getting a new athlon XP soon, due to burning my old T-bird out. I need some source to funnel my money into, and i think some good audio eqiptment would be a great place.

And thanks for all of your help, i really mean it.
smily_headphones1.gif

smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 29, 2002 at 9:41 PM Post #42 of 58
well..all i can do is say here is my setup...

fortissimo II -> markertek mini-mini (3ft red) -> penguin tin (cmoy from tangent) -> clou red (have to use a 1/4 to 1/8 adapter) -> HD600 -> to my brain lol.......

i listen to techno...classical....praise and worship....and most anything else that sounds good.....i also like to watch movies.....which is y i also have the dsp pro.....

i like my fortissimo II and it was only like 30 brand new lol...it seems to be an ok source...i listen to alot of mp3s..but be warned ....u will hear the harshness....as for jdk II...sounds great...i have also played many other games and they all sound good....

hmm..lets see if i can figure this up..my total cost so far excluding the sound card...is.....actually below $300.....they should call me mr. cheap
very_evil_smiley.gif

anyways....hope i helped..if u have any questions pm me....

ray
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 29, 2002 at 10:58 PM Post #43 of 58
I totally agree with your decision. At the price point you are talking about, you are much better buying the source, and cables last. What good is a high resolution source with a pair of Cobys, and a Boosteroo?
I know everybody hates me for saying this, but always look at what is a little better than what you are about to buy. It could save you money in the long run. Mabye check out the Headroom Maxed Out Home, Sudgen Headmaster, or even the EarMax Pro. Good luck!

Quote:

Originally posted by Ebonyks
Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif
. I'm one of the most known members at madonion, and have delt with alot of pain in the arse n00bs, so i try to be as polite as possible. There's nothing worse than someone who whines, is cynical, and a general idiot and expects help.

Thanks for the explination on the DAC, Since my income is all spendable, and i plan to contioniously upgrade, i wanted to use 700 bucks as a good base point. I'm thinking of buying the stuff in stages.

As i said, i really don't need a pair of sealed headphones, and while my experences are limited, i don't like the ausouctical qualities of sealed headphones i've had experences with. I just perfer the open feeling.

Right now, i'm planning to spend 700 bucks on the headphones and amp, right now, i think the HD-600's, and the HA-1 looks good for that. Then overtime, i plan to upgrade the parts, like the DAC, cables, soundcard, etc.

My computer runs fine for now, i have a 8500, and am getting a new athlon XP soon, due to burning my old T-bird out. I need some source to funnel my money into, and i think some good audio eqiptment would be a great place.

And thanks for all of your help, i really mean it.
smily_headphones1.gif

smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 29, 2002 at 11:02 PM Post #44 of 58
I think people who buy source last end up being dissatisfied with their excellent amps and selling them to me.

Oh wait, I'm not really complaining about that am I?
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 29, 2002 at 11:10 PM Post #45 of 58
Yes, what you are saying could be true, but most of the time it takes a good amp, and headphones to even hear the differences between sources. Some people here at Head-Fi have good equipment, and still have a hard time hearing differences between sources, yet cables.

Quote:

Originally posted by kelly
I think people who buy source last end up being dissatisfied with their excellent amps and selling them to me.

Oh wait, I'm not really complaining about that am I?
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back