Got 700 bucks, want some headphones
Jun 30, 2002 at 3:13 AM Post #46 of 58
Kelly, i realize that, but i don't have all the money yet. And i can't stand the feel of these sporta pro's. They sound non-offensive enough, i've almost worn down some of there bassy charctistics, but they just aren't comfortable.

My hidden reason of wanting the HD-580's/600's
biggrin.gif

Jun 30, 2002 at 4:50 AM Post #47 of 58
I highly recommend HD600 with the Stefan AudioArt Equinox replacement cable and a META42. The sound is quite nice, easy to listen to (relaxing, better known as "laid-back") and very open (airy, spacious).
smily_headphones1.gif
It's generally light (feeling of the weight behind sound, acoustic momentum you could say) and quick (one sound progressing to the next at an efficient rate) with lots of detail. kelly is dead right in saying paying a little more for a better source is absolutely worth it if you value quality sound playback. DiO 2448 with Art DI/O seems like it'd make a decent source. I use a dvd-rom drive + soundcard (that comes with its own external DAC) as a main source.

Jun 30, 2002 at 7:18 AM Post #49 of 58
Quote:

Originally posted by Audio&Me
You suggest that he invest $700 in headphones + amp to use with his consumer level sound card!? Have you even heard this combo?

Please start replying to what I say again once you LEARN TO READ. The point of my post was very clear, but leave it to you to misinterpret it.

Jun 30, 2002 at 8:14 AM Post #50 of 58
Quote:

You suggest that he invest $700 in headphones + amp to use with his consumer level sound card!? Have you even heard this combo?

No, I don't. I suggest he steps it up to a $700 to $1000 amp for the HD-600s, and buy a good source later on. The amplifier, and headphones have much more to do with the sonic signiture of your system than any source ever will. Especially at the price range he is talking about.
Yes, the source makes a difference. Just not as much as headphones, and amplifiers do.

Jun 30, 2002 at 5:12 PM Post #51 of 58
Jun 30, 2002 at 9:12 PM Post #52 of 58
OK, guys, thanks a ton for your help.

You've really given me an idea about what i should get, and were really kind to a small n00b like myself. Expect to see me hanging around the forums in the future
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 30, 2002 at 9:45 PM Post #54 of 58
Quote:

RMS, please refrain from posting until you figure out what the word imply means.

That's funny, since you didn't use the word imply. I suggested what I would do with $700. I don't see the problem in this statment, but as usual, you have to attack what you don't understand.

Jul 1, 2002 at 4:49 AM Post #55 of 58
Quote:

Originally posted by RMSzero
That's funny, since you didn't use the word imply. ]

Haha, you obviously missed the point. I don't think he gives a **** about what you would do with his money, unless you recommend it to him with some reasoning behind it.

Oct 17, 2002 at 8:48 PM Post #56 of 58
I would go with the Game Theater XP. It can be had on clearance right now at Best Buy for $75(call around, if its not on clearance its $100), and it is pretty much an upgraded Santa Cruz, with a top-in-its-industry breakout box which integrates most audio standards, up to 7.1 with tweaking, and a USB hub. Excepting the paper-only launch of the audigy2, its the best consumer-level card you can get right now.

Oct 17, 2002 at 10:36 PM Post #57 of 58
hmm... squalish, different soundcards have different purposes, so u can't really say that one is the best without specifying what u'll be using it for. few gamers who use 4.1, 5.1, or headphone setups will need 7.1 decoding, but those with 7.1 speakers wouldn't be able to live without a 7.1 soundcard, ne? on a more audio-relevant level, some cards offer awesome sound processing power for gaming (sb audigy), but can't really give u anything near reference-quality sound for music-listening... and trust me on that, the audigy sound is worse than the line-out from my pcdp...
rolleyes.gif
******* me for having fallen for the creative marketing ploys!! but the audigy is great for gaming...

anyway, to the friendly n00b big E, another soundcard u should look at is the terratec aureon 5.1 fun or the aureon 5.1 sky. the older terratec line, the dmx6 fire, is well-respected as having clean, hi-fi sound, and if this aureon lives up to its expectations with true 24bit/96khz processing and such, it will be an awesome card to hear!
smily_headphones1.gif
since it's a pretty new product, i haven't read many reviews on it (plus with all the attention getting focused on the sb audigy 2). however, given terratec's good name, i'm thinking this is my next soundcard... http://www.terratec.com/ttus/default.htm

Oct 17, 2002 at 11:47 PM Post #58 of 58
Wow, i've been fairly sick, and when i see this post bumped, at first, i assume i'm just delerious.

Anyway, thanks for your advice, but i purchased my self an entire system since, consisting of a melos SH1-a, a pair of 931's with the 120 ohm adaptor, a TBSC, and a ART DI/O

Thanks again for all of your guys help back in the day.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back