Googles Open Docking Platform
May 10, 2011 at 7:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

suhaybh

100+ Head-Fier
On May 10th, 2011 Google held its I/O conference and announced a plethora of updates to its Android line-up. One of the announcements was the introduction of a new open source development platform for creating new docks that can be used by ever capable Android device by means of USB communication. This is especially good news for Android Audiophiles because this potentially means that Amp manufacturers can make USB DAC + Amp combos that can use every capable Android Device as digital out sources. I want to start this thread to bring attention to this possibility and maybe to open doors to DIY possibilities as well, since Adruino is a platform that can be used for this docking solution. Thoughts? Comments? 

May 10, 2011 at 9:06 PM Post #2 of 4
Oh, this is interesting.  Though it could be rather bothersome for some manufacturers who want to keep their form factors.  But this should have been done years ago...

Also, while it's interesting that arduino works with it, I'm not sure exactly what kinds of applications it could have...but then, I guess that's up to the people utilizing it.

May 11, 2011 at 2:30 AM Post #3 of 4
more specifically, android 3.1 will support USB Host. I can see USB DAC working with android 3.1 phones in the very very near future. Yippie!!!!!!

"With Android 3.1, devices can now be used as hosts. Import photos directly from your digital camera to your tablet, and a "ridiculous" amount of USB devices are now supported, including game controllers! An Xbox 360 gamepad is being used in a game demo with an Android app."

Source :http://www.engadget.com/2011/05/10/live-from-google-i-o-2011s-opening-keynote/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back