Google Nexus 4
Jun 22, 2013 at 1:46 AM Post #168 of 266
I listened to same track back to back with my clip+ with and without Fiio E17. Clip+ with E17 sounds miles better than Nexus 4. Sound is Open, fuller, warm and detailed. If by mistake I choose a track which I don't like then this rig won't allow me to switch the track. It will tempt me to listen to the track completely and then change. This is what I call it as 'Musical'

Jun 22, 2013 at 10:24 AM Post #169 of 266
Quote:
@SimonReborn, were you able to achieve the sound quality which Gilly87 is mentioning. Because we both are facing same issues with respect to ear piercing treble. If you are able to achieve better sound quality with appropriate mods then I will again with on this

As I´ve said. My sound quality is all fine and dandy now. Rocking FLAC´s in either Stock music player or Poweramp :wink:

Jun 25, 2013 at 5:39 AM Post #170 of 266
-Yes finally my cable came in today! (after 25 days OMG!)

-Flashed this kernel - http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2181820&highlight=nexus+4
(ziddey-otg-r156-06230339.zip)
-Already had USB audio recorder trial.
-started UsbAudioTesterROOT app, chose USB device 2:2 (it will be showing as Fiio E17 DAC)
-Apply all settings, start USB audio recorder pro and...
-Bam I confirm that NEXUS 4 4.2.2 (rooted with PA HALO ROM+and said kernel flashed) is compatible with Fiio E17's DAC function

calling DanBa  - Please update the list that the Nexus 4 can support USB audio out and it is compatible with Fiio E17 DAC
Nexus 4 = Fiio E17 DAC

Can't believe google missed and skipped out this feature compared to major manufacturers, it should ideally be an out of the box feature as it is a Nexus device.

Will post audio setup soon...

Jun 25, 2013 at 7:57 AM Post #171 of 266
Quote:
-Yes finally my cable came in today! (after 25 days OMG!)

-Flashed this kernel - http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2181820&highlight=nexus+4
(ziddey-otg-r156-06230339.zip)
-Already had USB audio recorder trial.
-started UsbAudioTesterROOT app, chose USB device 2:2 (it will be showing as Fiio E17 DAC)
-Apply all settings, start USB audio recorder pro and...
-Bam I confirm that NEXUS 4 4.2.2 (rooted with PA HALO ROM+and said kernel flashed) is compatible with Fiio E17's DAC function

calling DanBa  - Please update the list that the Nexus 4 can support USB audio out and it is compatible with Fiio E17 DAC
Nexus 4 = Fiio E17 DAC

Can't believe google missed and skipped out this feature compared to major manufacturers, it should ideally be an out of the box feature as it is a Nexus device.

Will post audio setup soon...

If we use E17's using internal battery then still do we need cable like this? as we are not going to use power from Nexus 4

Jun 25, 2013 at 8:07 AM Post #172 of 266
Quote:

If we use E17's using internal battery then still do we need cable like this? as we are not going to use power from Nexus 4

I don't know how to explain it but basically what is essentially needed for the time being for the nexus 4 to have OTG feature is to have such a cable+kernel which will trigger the 5v temporary power supply that will allow the fiio e17 or flash drives to be recognized by the nexus 4. I don't know if they missed out this feature intentionally (google) or they might fix it in the next android build 4.2.3 or 4.3 or 5 whatnot.

bottom line yes this cable is needed! 

Hope that helps.

BTW you can order the same cable over at amazon for faster shipping options for CONUS head-fiers and the rest of UK and EU.

Jun 25, 2013 at 8:15 AM Post #173 of 266
Quote:

ah yes you tickled my brain again dang..maybe it will trigger automatically the USB audio out support(flashing the kernel too) when theoretically using this cable;

I don't have the patience to wait for long shipping times from china so might as well try to buy this cable mate and let see waht happens.

mini usb end to the fiio e17 port and micro usb to the nexus 4 port

Jul 3, 2013 at 8:12 AM Post #174 of 266
Quote:
ah yes you tickled my brain again dang..maybe it will trigger automatically the USB audio out support(flashing the kernel too) when theoretically using this cable;

I don't have the patience to wait for long shipping times from china so might as well try to buy this cable mate and let see waht happens.

mini usb end to the fiio e17 port and micro usb to the nexus 4 port

Any update? Is this working? I am planning to try on HM-601

Jul 10, 2013 at 4:34 AM Post #175 of 266
Quote:

Any update? Is this working? I am planning to try on HM-601

Nope, I did not order this, I think as for the time being it should be (USB OTG functionality) manually triggered through that Y-Cable I have recommended, otherwise a DIY cable can be done by electronic experts and coding to enable 5V support to the micro usb part of the Nexus 4 should be drastically done by the geekiest android tinkerer IMHO.

Aug 6, 2013 at 5:21 AM Post #177 of 266
Failed to work on hm-601. I am quite sad. Usbaudiotester detected it as sound card. But none of the streaming mode was supported. Now I need to get a Samsung tab and try it there

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Aug 6, 2013 at 6:53 AM Post #178 of 266
What does faux sound/Franco kernel actually do in terms of sound? Does it let you bypass internal headphone amp?

Aug 6, 2013 at 11:48 AM Post #179 of 266
It lets you control the analog gain and digital volume separately; if you keep the analog gain from the crappy internal amp low, you can eliminate grain and distortion from the sound.
Quote:
What does faux sound/Franco kernel actually do in terms of sound? Does it let you bypass internal headphone amp?

Aug 6, 2013 at 12:12 PM Post #180 of 266
So it doesn't let you bypass it as such, but turn the gain right down. So if I use an external amp there won't be huge noise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back