Google Nexus 4
Jun 18, 2013 at 3:17 AM Post #136 of 266
Got it. Rooted, flashed franco kernel (Milestone 2) but still fauxsound says 'this kernel does not support'

@Gilly87, Could you please help me out in this? Is there any other app which can provide good sound quality like fauxsound?

Jun 18, 2013 at 3:24 AM Post #137 of 266
I installed Franco Kernel updater app and through that app I downloaded and auto-flashed 'Milestone 2' kernel. After rebook I could see franco kernel version in settings

Now I'm not sure where to look for franco configuration panel

Jun 18, 2013 at 5:39 AM Post #138 of 266
Well fauxsound won't work with franco kernel, but franco kernel has its own manual gain settings. If you go into the updater app and tap the icon on the top left, the menu should come up on the left and you should see Custom Kernel Settings; scroll down and you will see the Headphones Volume Boost and Headset gain options.
Quote:
Got it. Rooted, flashed franco kernel (Milestone 2) but still fauxsound says 'this kernel does not support'

@Gilly87, Could you please help me out in this? Is there any other app which can provide good sound quality like fauxsound?

Jun 18, 2013 at 6:25 AM Post #139 of 266
Quote:
Well fauxsound won't work with franco kernel, but franco kernel has its own manual gain settings. If you go into the updater app and tap the icon on the top left, the menu should come up on the left and you should see Custom Kernel Settings; scroll down and you will see the Headphones Volume Boost and Headset gain options.

Yeah I can see those options but adjusting headset gain doesn't do anything to sound. Don't know why?

Also even after updating Franco kernel, the sound quality is not as  you express. Its very bright and ear piercing thereby decreasing the warmth and tonality

Jun 18, 2013 at 9:01 AM Post #140 of 266
top marks here for audio performance from a leading uk magazine

http://www.whathifi.com/review/google-nexus-4

'Play some tracks and the music sounds great: it’s nicely balanced, with plenty of detail, and exciting without being overbearing. It’s more detailed and refined than the Samsung Galaxy SIII and, finally for Android, truly challenges the class-leading iPhone 5. As a music playback device you can’t go wrong with the Nexus 4.'

Jun 18, 2013 at 9:14 AM Post #141 of 266
Quote:
top marks here for audio performance from a leading uk magazine

http://www.whathifi.com/review/google-nexus-4

'Play some tracks and the music sounds great: it’s nicely balanced, with plenty of detail, and exciting without being overbearing. It’s more detailed and refined than the Samsung Galaxy SIII and, finally for Android, truly challenges the class-leading iPhone 5. As a music playback device you can’t go wrong with the Nexus 4.'

You are right and even Gilly87 is right. Nexus 4 may have very good sound quality but not in latest versions. If you google and refer xda, even there many new buyers like me are complaining Nexus 4's sound quality. may be in the new batch DAC or OpAmp implementation is not good. Another fact is, many people are complaning about Nexus 4's low volume but I don't face such issues. Volume is loud enough but the sound quality is not good. So this is something to do with  new Nexus 4 batch

Jun 18, 2013 at 12:19 PM Post #143 of 266

i got mine last november at launch and have no problems with volume levels
smile.gif

Jun 18, 2013 at 12:44 PM Post #144 of 266
That's what it sounds like...my nexus errs on the side of smoothness if anything, definitely not too bright and stock volume can't drive my HD439 very loud. Sure can with Franco kernel, though.

Visan, maybe you should try faux kernel/faux sound instead if Franco isn't working well for you. Otherwise I'm not sure what to tell you :frowning2: Bummer your nexus doesn't sound right...maybe get together with others from XDA and request new units from Google, tell then they are defective and not as expected from other users' claims and reviews.
You are right and even Gilly87 is right. Nexus 4 may have very good sound quality but not in latest versions. If you google and refer xda, even there many new buyers like me are complaining Nexus 4's sound quality. may be in the new batch DAC or OpAmp implementation is not good. Another fact is, many people are complaning about Nexus 4's low volume but I don't face such issues. Volume is loud enough but the sound quality is not good. So this is something to do with  new Nexus 4 batch

Jun 18, 2013 at 12:47 PM Post #145 of 266
I got mine from T-Mobile right around launch. SQ was good out of the box, and improved in volume, extension on both ends, and presentation marginally with rooting, kernels, etc.
[rule]i got mine last november at launch and have no problems with volume levels :smile:

Jun 18, 2013 at 12:50 PM Post #146 of 266
Well I have the "new" batch and do not know what you are taking about. Apart from adding mini nubs on the back (so small you can hardly tell) they have not changed anything anyway. Once you rule out everything and are faced with the prospect it is your ears then accept it and find a different phone right for you!

Jun 18, 2013 at 1:00 PM Post #147 of 266
That, or there was a batch of defective units.

The best thing would be to find other people who have the nexus and try it. Maybe go to a local T-Mobile store if you are in the US, or find some other store with a demo unit, and try plugging in. Granted you'd have to get at least a 320kbps file on there somehow, or maybe use spotify/Google music with HQ enabled.
Well I have the "new" batch and do not know what you are taking about. Apart from adding mini nubs on the back (so small you can hardly tell) they have not changed anything anyway. Once you rule out everything and are faced with the prospect it is your ears then accept it and find a different phone right for you!

Jun 19, 2013 at 2:43 AM Post #149 of 266
@Gilly87, I have a doubt. 

If I increase Gain in Franco kernel which is hardware gain to maximum and then in any Equalizer if I decrease treble to  less than 0db then this setting is more like hardware equalizer right? since hardware gain is increased but treble is decreased

Users who are viewing this thread

Back