Google Nexus 4
Jun 2, 2013 at 8:04 PM Post #91 of 266
Quote:
Found the Nexus 4 to have superior separation, body and weight to the mids, and slighter better bass definition and control. Was going to sell the Touch anyway but this cements it.

If the Nexus 4 had a larger capacity battery, greater storage space and a better camera it would be perfect. Google take note

I think Google got a good balance with the Nexus 4. Incredible price:performance.

I'd like those same things too, but I like the price of the Nexus 4 more! I get 2 days of medium usage out of mine... I don't use it as a music player though, just text, calls, email and web

Jun 3, 2013 at 12:20 AM Post #92 of 266
I have placed an order through my friend in US. I will get it by next week

Eagerly waiting for it. I hope the sound quality will be comparable to my Sansa Clip+. Thats enough for me, I will be satisfied. For a long time I am looking for a audiophile smartphone

Jun 3, 2013 at 1:46 AM Post #93 of 266
I know this would never happen but I'd love to see Blu make a truly budget Nexus: lightly rubberized body (like the Vivo 4.3), S4 Pro soc, 4.5 inch qHD screen with little to no bezel, 5 MP rear/1MP front cameras, SD card slot.

$200.

And a camera button, ***.
I think Google got a good balance with the Nexus 4. Incredible price:performance.

I'd like those same things too, but I like the price of the Nexus 4 more! I get 2 days of medium usage out of mine... I don't use it as a music player though, just text, calls, email and web

Jun 3, 2013 at 4:06 AM Post #94 of 266
Quote:
I know this would never happen but I'd love to see Blu make a truly budget Nexus: lightly rubberized body (like the Vivo 4.3), S4 Pro soc, 4.5 inch qHD screen with little to no bezel, 5 MP rear/1MP front cameras, SD card slot.

$200.

And a camera button, ***.

but whats special with Blu?

Jun 7, 2013 at 11:22 AM Post #98 of 266
I got my nexus 4. I feel sound quality is much worse compared to clip +. 

I am completely disappointed. Don't know why the sound quality is so bad. Noise floor is more and even the clarity is not there. 

I am wondering if it's due to version 4.2.2. Can others let me know about your version?

Jun 7, 2013 at 1:26 PM Post #99 of 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by visanj /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Noise floor is more and even the clarity is not there. 

Will post some impressions over the weekend against my Clip Zip Stock and Clip Zip Rockbox but will say my experience of the Nexus 4 is nothing like that

Jun 7, 2013 at 1:58 PM Post #101 of 266
Got it solved!

The volume does go a bit louder now; not startlingly so, but noticeable. The overall SQ does seem to have improved. Treble seems a bit less dull (though still not crisp, this phone has a warmish tone), giving female vocals a bit more clarity and emotion, a slightly airier sound. My HD439 can go louder now without sounding distorted, and sound very nice. Great match with the TF10, too. Still can't do my DT770 LEs justice without the E11, but with it, they are actually very nice. Still not quite as dynamic and full-sounding as with my HiFiMeDIY Sabre + E11, but certainly nothing to be ashamed of at all. Perhaps even closer to neutral, though not as detailed and dynamic; less bass overall. Not at all a bad sound.

Can you tell me if custom kernel is required or root is sufficient?

Jun 8, 2013 at 7:32 AM Post #103 of 266
Quote:
Can you tell me which version you are using?

A lot of the time when people complain about noise it is because of the quality of their files, especially with illegal downloads, rather than the source. Put it this way, any noise would be shown up by my IEM collection. My music collection is pristinely EAC ripped from original CD.

Jun 8, 2013 at 8:08 AM Post #104 of 266
Am going to call Stock Nexus 4 and Clip Zip Rockbox about evens all things considered. They can both separately render each element of the music fine and nothing is bleeding across. Clean sound. Detail retrieval and balance of overall sound is same. Mids and vocals are slightly more forward / closer in the mix on Zip rockbox. Think bass lands slightly harder on Zip Rockbox with a little more texture in the reproduction. Soundstage extends reasonably far on 2d plain from ear to ear within your head being portable setup on both.

Both Stock Nexus 4 and Zip Rockbox better than Stock Clip Zip. As most Head-Fiers know the stock Sandisk firmware has the entire frequency bumped up a few db across the board. That may be deliberate for modern tastes and to sound pleasing against commuter traffic but it does lead to a more narrow and congested sound that is almost sloppy in comparison.

Test Tracks
Jimi Hendrix / Band of Gypsys - Machine Gun
Alison Krauss + Union Station / Live - When You Say Nothing At All
Adele / Live At the Royal Albert Hall - Someone Like You
Miles Davis / Bitches Brew Live - Spanish Key

Jun 8, 2013 at 10:50 PM Post #105 of 266
A lot of the time when people complain about noise it is because of the quality of their files, especially with illegal downloads, rather than the source. Put it this way, any noise would be shown up by my IEM collection. My music collection is pristinely EAC ripped from original CD.

Its not about files. I have files ripped from CD. I seriously feel that there is some problem with my device on terms of audio quality

Users who are viewing this thread

Back