Google Nexus 4
Nov 28, 2012 at 9:17 PM Post #46 of 266
Quote:
I thought the quality from play music was sub-par with my X10s. Neutron>>>>>Play Music.  320 kbps MP3s sounded almost fuzzy, clearly missing more extension on both ends, subpar presentation elements. Also Play Music seems to have a hard time with FLAC, doing a bit of stuttering, which is about 80% of my regular music diet, and the only thing that sounded decent coming from Play Music. And I know it's not my connection; I'm a T-Mobile employee so I don't get throttled, and I ran SpeedTest.net at 12 mbps down in the same place. Conclusion: Play Music still sucks. Spotify is a better streaming solution IME; 320 kbps sounds fine if you have Premium.

It's really, really unfortunate that this phone has no expandable storage. This is a trend that I hope to see righted at some point in the Nexus phones. It's really quite a shame that Google touts the nexus implicitly as freeing you from carrier bonds, when in reality it only strengthens your dependence upon them. I will maintain that this is hypocrisy until I see SD cards or at LEAST a 32GB model of a Nexus phone. I could fill 64 easily.

I have to say, though, that is my only real complaint about the N4. I would have liked a slightly more rounded bezel, and a curved display like the GNex, but that's nitpicking for sure. LG definitely tops Samsung in build quality and general hardware (loved my G2x), and uses more-fair Korean labor instead of Chinese slave labor. I refuse to touch anything produced by Foxconn or their affiliates.

how about poweramp or player pro?

Nov 29, 2012 at 3:56 AM Post #48 of 266
a problem with using 3rd party music apps is that they do not see files that you have 'pinned' to your phone in play music. they will only see files that you have manually put onto your device via the normal way

Nov 29, 2012 at 7:25 AM Post #49 of 266
a problem with using 3rd party music apps is that they do not see files that you have 'pinned' to your phone in play music. they will only see files that you have manually put onto your device via the normal way

Hmm, weird. Reminds me of using Rhapsody and having major compatibility problems with the files I bought from them. I hate it when they do this kind of stuff; why can't a music file just be a music file? Stupid laws...

Dec 1, 2012 at 4:04 AM Post #50 of 266
My solution to the storage issue is to stream my media from my network file shares at home. I use ES File Explorer which has a built in music player that can stream from the share which contains all my music. I'm pretty sure other players can be used with it too, but I haven't looked into it yet. You do it through the LAN tab in the app, although it works from anywhere. That's how I listen to music at work. No having to worry about space on some cloud storage, syncing, or paying for anything. The only problem is my connection isn't quite good enough to stream FLAC.

Dec 1, 2012 at 4:58 AM Post #51 of 266
yes i'm sure there is a solution so other music apps can 'see' the play music files too. if it has not been figured out yet i can bet someone is already working on a fix 
smile.gif

Feb 10, 2013 at 12:43 AM Post #54 of 266
So can anybody explain how to use, say, the Fiio E17 with the Nexus 4? Will it work with an OTG cable? I don't even know what that is, but yeah. Hoping I can get my E17 working with it. Would be swell.

Feb 10, 2013 at 1:55 AM Post #55 of 266
As long as the USB host is not enabled on the Nexus 4, it can't work with a USB peripheral like a standard USB DAC.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/1170#post_8985577

Feb 21, 2013 at 6:46 PM Post #56 of 266
Does anyone know how the audio from the N4 compares to the FiiO E07k? Would I be able to notice a difference?
If not, I will probably just get the FiiO E12 amp.
I will want one or the other for sure because I want the bass boost with Grado SR225i headphones.
I hear they really lack bass.

Feb 22, 2013 at 11:11 AM Post #57 of 266
Quote:
Does anyone know how the audio from the N4 compares to the FiiO E07k? Would I be able to notice a difference?
If not, I will probably just get the FiiO E12 amp.
I will want one or the other for sure because I want the bass boost with Grado SR225i headphones.
I hear they really lack bass.

You don't need an amp to boost bass, most of the audio players from the play store have a bass boost dial or EQ settings.

Feb 22, 2013 at 12:27 PM Post #59 of 266
Quote:
It's not just about the bass boost. I'm wondering how much a USB DAC would improve the overall sound.

Only problems with the sound of the Nexus 4 is rolled off treble, and doesn't get very loud.

Obviously the rolled off treble can be sorted with EQ, but to get louder an amp would be a good idea.

The phone was built for low impedence IEM's really.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back