Google Maps is weird...
Apr 7, 2010 at 3:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Clutz

Tells us when we're offset.
Okay, so I was checking out google maps tonight, trying to figure out an alternate route to bike to and from work. There is a little pedestrian bridge near us, that I could potentially use to cross the I-94 highway instead of a car overpass that's where the pavement is in poor shape, and the lanes are somewhat narrow.

So I load up google maps, and go to 55104 (our zip code). As I'm scanning along, I notice something weird. The satelite image of our local Target is totally off. The rest of the neighborhood looks right, but the Target is wrong. Totally wrong. So I got my wife to look at it, and she said she thought it was wrong too. Since it's too late to jump in the car and confirm my suspicions, I tried using street view to check it out- and street view shows it exactly how I remembered it.

Use google maps to go to 1300 University Avenue West, St Paul, MN 55104-4103

Zoom in, and near Hamline Street and University, drop the little Street View Man, and proceed South while looking East. It is totally inconsistent with the sat. view. And I can buy that- maybe this is a really old image- but the image is copyrighted 2010.

Weird.

Apr 7, 2010 at 4:52 AM Post #2 of 20
You ask too many questions Clutz, some things are better left unsaid.

Thread closed.

homeland-security-logo.jpg

Apr 7, 2010 at 4:59 AM Post #4 of 20
LOL It's all a conspiracy?

Apr 7, 2010 at 6:39 AM Post #5 of 20
Google maps on my phone once gave me directions that opened with:
Head east for .4 miles(towards the dead end of my street)
Make a U-turn.

The directions literally said make a u-turn.

I trust google with a lot of my life, but navigation will be handled by map and compass because I can trust that.

Apr 7, 2010 at 7:10 AM Post #6 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Frequen C /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's google maps, they told us to drive through a frickin' Walmart before.

I think there's a geographically contextual advertising model somewhere in this.

Apr 7, 2010 at 11:08 AM Post #8 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Frequen C /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's google maps, they told us to drive through a frickin' Walmart before.

No, that was deliberate. Somebody at Google bears a grudge.

Apr 7, 2010 at 4:12 PM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by stewtheking /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, that was deliberate. Somebody at Google bears a grudge.

Curse you low prices! Curse you!
biggrin.gif

I've not had a problem with Google Maps. I'd love to drive straight through the local Walmart though.

Apr 7, 2010 at 9:16 PM Post #10 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by notmuchcash /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The directions literally said make a u-turn.

I trust google with a lot of my life, but navigation will be handled by map and compass because I can trust that.

An excellent and free mapping and directions service made a slightly annoying error that was easy to spot! Now I only use a star chart and sextant for navigation.

Apr 8, 2010 at 4:35 PM Post #13 of 20
Given the vast amount of data involved, some glitches are inevitable. Have you ever heard of "map traps"?

Apr 8, 2010 at 5:56 PM Post #14 of 20
Relatively speaking, due to the earth's enormous mass it has failed to update itself in order for pictures to be taken therefore explaining your phenomenon. How to solve this problem you ask? The core is running on WINDOWS, and only has about 256mb of ram.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back