Google Declares War on Microsoft
Apr 18, 2006 at 2:21 PM Post #31 of 40
The battle is not engaged in the US and Europe, but in the developing countries. Ellison is barking about owning a complete stack, so by buying Redhat or Novell, and making Linux his base, Open Office CAN fill the lowest tiers, then creep upward. The tide of MS entrenchment can thus be stopped.

Can Microsoft truly wage an n tier battle indefinitely? Google will engage on the collaboration fronts incrementally, first with calendars, and next with collaboration space. This is a war of ideas, where MS is notoriously weak, since you simply cannot purchase all (profitable) creative thought.

Apr 18, 2006 at 3:00 PM Post #32 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by pabbi1
Can Microsoft truly wage an n tier battle indefinitely?

When their competition is Google and OO.org? Absolutely. Google is excellent at releasing "beta" products that will never find a home in a real corporate environment, and OO.org seems to be completely content playing catch-up to Office. On the flip side, MS is focused, has almost limitless resources, and Office is by far the stronger product at this time.

Quote:

Google will engage on the collaboration fronts incrementally, first with calendars, and next with collaboration space. This is a war of ideas, where MS is notoriously weak, since you simply cannot purchase all (profitable) creative thought.

Notoriously weak? OO.org and Google are consistently two steps behind MS in the Office space. If anyone lacks ideas, it's them. Does Google even have a working product applicable to a corporate environment outside of their web search? (and don't dare say desktop search, it's worse than ebola to a network admin)

Apr 18, 2006 at 3:01 PM Post #33 of 40
I'm another Open Office hater. It's pretty much the only thing I miss about windows. I'm somewhat confident that in a while it will catch up in a while, but in the meantime it more or less sucks

Apr 18, 2006 at 3:03 PM Post #34 of 40
I love OpenOffice but only for my own personal use. Unfortunately all the school computers use Office 2003 and OpenOffice files is not backwards compatible with Office 2003. If I had a choice I would use OpenOffice though. I can't stand how Microsoft keeps trying to make their software dummy-proof, I hate that little paper clip that keeps popping up to tell me what an idiot I am.
mad.gif

Apr 18, 2006 at 9:11 PM Post #35 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kixyll
No, you're not. It's 10 years behind Office, and it's worthless in a corporate environment.

haha...I love how all the executives and even everyone in accounting at my company all have MS Office...and everyone in the call centre has Open Office.

Apr 18, 2006 at 10:58 PM Post #36 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by YamiTenshi
I love OpenOffice but only for my own personal use. Unfortunately all the school computers use Office 2003 and OpenOffice files is not backwards compatible with Office 2003. If I had a choice I would use OpenOffice though. I can't stand how Microsoft keeps trying to make their software dummy-proof, I hate that little paper clip that keeps popping up to tell me what an idiot I am.
mad.gif

You have to manually save as .doc in OpenOffice. And you can put portable OpenOffice on a USB Flash drive to use at school.
What I like most about OpenOffice, though, is it's free. Not to mention that it's much better than MS office in other ways.

BTW, I switched to OpenOffice on advice from Nick Lachey. I thanked him for helping me save lots of money. I can't believe how many people are essentially scammed for software with good free alternatives! I have started the migration to open source a few years ago and that's just another step!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back