Goodbye to the ipod--suggestions please
Aug 15, 2005 at 12:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

rextrade

500+ Head-Fier
Well, my second ipod has crapped out on me--the disk on this one went one day after my warranty expired. Needless to say, I'm po'd at Apple and am done with the ipod.

I've read the other portable comparison threads, and I'm sorry for starting another, but I'm still a little confused about which player to get. Here are my needs.

1. Simplicity--what I loved about the ipod was how easy it was to use. I'm a bit technologically illiterate. I liked that itunes managed songs for me, and that I could plug in my ipod and have everything automatically updated and in the right place, and that I could easily create playlists. So, with other players, what would be the easiest to use? Most of my songs are in AAC, so I know I'll need to re-rip 400 cds, but I just want to be able to stick the cd in my computer and rip them without worrying about putting them into correct folders etc. I just want to have the album show up on my player where it belongs.

2. I use a mac, so I need something that can transfer songs over a firewire and that works well with a mac.

3. I sometimes used the ipod line out with a sik din and amp, so it would be nice to have a line out, but it's not absolutely necessary (I've stopped using an amp lately b/c it doesn't seem worth it for on the go listening)

3. Things I hated about the ipod--no gapless and crappy eq. It would be nice to have a user controlled eq.

4. Space--I need at least 40 gbs.

I used an iriver for about a month, and I thought the sound was decent (I liked the ipod better flat, but the eq on the iriver was much better). But I had it already loaded with songs, and didn't have to full around with ripping my CDs onto my mac an putting it onto the iriver. Can I just use itunes with an iriver? Also, the iriver seemed like more of a pain to use, but I can get over that.

In terms of pure sound quality, the the 20 gb rio karma is the best I've heard. But the smaller hard drive and what seemed to be flaky software turned me off. Again, I need simplicity and something that doesn't crash a lot.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Aug 15, 2005 at 12:44 AM Post #2 of 13
As much as I hate to say it, it sounds like you need a 40GB iPod.

eek.gif
rolleyes.gif

Aug 15, 2005 at 1:24 AM Post #3 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by GSTom1

eek.gif
rolleyes.gif

Actually, there is no 40GB model right now. However, the 60GB is the same price as the old 40GB.

Aug 15, 2005 at 2:02 AM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by GSTom1

eek.gif
rolleyes.gif

Yeah, I know (why is there no sad face emoticon?).

I can get it fixed for $250, but damn, I'm pissed at apple.

Aug 15, 2005 at 4:10 AM Post #5 of 13
I would make a stink at the Apple Store. Speak to the store manager. Even Sony repaired my MD player 3 days after the warranty expired.

Aug 15, 2005 at 4:38 AM Post #6 of 13
You can use most OTG USB devices on the Mac and as long as you use MP3 (even LAME on the Mac thru iTunes-LAME). You can even use iTunes with non-iPods (I'm using it to organize before dragging over for my 1500i). Then again if your used to the simplicity of iTunes and the iPod, it's a bit of a hassle with file names, etc. to organize without a DB.

On a Mac, it's hard to beat the iPod-iTunes combo (with Doug's scripts and the integration with Sticky Brain, Delicious Library, etc.). If you want firewire it's really hard to find alternative to the iPod.

Aug 15, 2005 at 5:29 AM Post #7 of 13
With all this and superior line out, I'm really leaning towards those 60gb ipods... But I really would need better bettery than 15 hours, so I am waiting for the next generation ipods.

Anyway, is there any extended warranty availible? I wonder if they will replace dead harddrives.

Aug 15, 2005 at 7:24 AM Post #8 of 13
Since you use a Mac, you're severely limited.

I'd recommend the iRiver H320. Works as drag & drop on my computer without drivers so it should be the same on Mac OS X

Aug 15, 2005 at 11:49 AM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by rextrade
Yeah, I know (why is there no sad face emoticon?).

I can get it fixed for $250, but damn, I'm pissed at apple.

Disclaimer: I have never had an iPod repaired but...
Were I in your shoes I would investigate third party ipod repair. That way you could:
  • get precisely what you are looking for
  • avoid giving Apple additional money
  • get the iPod repaired for less $

Such services might be found in the back pages of Mac-specific mags as well as by posting/searching in DealMac.com's mac forum. You could also use the forum to ask for good/bad experiences with iPod repair companies.

Good luck.

Aug 15, 2005 at 3:35 PM Post #10 of 13
Update Wow, just called the apple corporate office and they agreed to fix the thing. Looks like I can be an Apple fanboy for a little while longer
tongue.gif

Aug 16, 2005 at 4:36 AM Post #12 of 13
Its all about customer service and reputation. You'll probably end up buying a new Ipod ($300 - $400) in a year or two and apple shouldnt lose a customer over what probably costs them less than $100 to fix.

Aug 20, 2005 at 3:53 AM Post #13 of 13
So--I called the Apple corporate office Monday, and by Friday morning a brand new ipod (or maybe refurbished, but it looks new) arrived at my office. Damn that's good customer service.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back