Goodbye Sweet Mt. Dew
Jul 5, 2008 at 5:24 AM Post #61 of 73
Off topic but a 3 mg. Melatonin supplement works great for me to get a good nights sleep.

I use green tea concentrate capsules 3 times per day which contain caffeine. I use 2 of these prior to workouts at 7:00 PM giving my approx 100 mg. of caffeine and I have no problem sleeping 3 hours later.

Jul 5, 2008 at 6:09 AM Post #63 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by malldian /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How old are you? A daily melatonin supplement can be almost dangerous as a young age.

I use it 3 to 4 times per week. I've used it this way for 8~10 years. I sleep fine on the nights that I don't use it but I find that it allows me to sleep like a rock on these nights when I need the extra recuperative sleep.

It's best to start out at around 500 mcg. (1/2 mg) then bump up if needed. I like at least 2 mg.

Jul 5, 2008 at 6:31 AM Post #64 of 73
how young is young? someone told me to take it and i'm about 25 years old. i haven't though and just read for and hour or until i fall asleep.

I allow myself 2-3 sodas a week but when i could definately tell the difference from when i used to drink 2-3 sodas a day.

Jul 5, 2008 at 10:34 AM Post #65 of 73
No worries! Switch to zero-carb Rockstar. 3 times the caffeine of Mountain Dew, no sugar. Not particularly healthy, but you'll get in lots of late night listenin on your phones.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jul 5, 2008 at 2:15 PM Post #66 of 73
For some reason I never liked drinking soda, maybe a sip of sprite sometimes. Just not my thing
tongue.gif

To TC: Good luck losing the extra weight
biggrin.gif

Jul 6, 2008 at 12:04 AM Post #67 of 73
I don't know why Americans love soda so much. For thousands of years, mankind has lived well without soda. We would drink water, coffee and wine and still enjoy life.

Most soda does not even taste that good. Enjoy good coffee, tea, cold refreshing water without ice (good quality water should never have ice because it numbs the taste buds) and enjoy some good wine or beer on occasion.

If you learn this way, you will be drinking much better and lose weight. This is how many people in Europe and Asia live and they are enjoying good taste and keeping the weight off.

That being said, I do like orange soda on some occasions.

Anyway, good for you brotha!

chewie0ol.gif

Jul 6, 2008 at 12:07 AM Post #68 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spareribs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know why Americans love soda so much. For thousands of years, mankind has lived well without soda. We would drink water, coffee and wine and still enjoy life.

Most soda does not even taste that good. Enjoy good coffee, tea, cold refreshing water without ice (good quality water should never have ice because it numbs the taste buds) and enjoy some good wine or beer on occasion.

If you learn this way, you will be drinking much better and lose weight. This is how many people in Europe and Asia live and they are enjoying good taste and keeping the weight off.

That being said, I do like orange soda on some occasions.

Anyway, good for you brotha!

chewie0ol.gif

I think a lot of it goes hand in hand with how well the drink goes with greasy, bad-for-you foods, and America thrives on food that's terrible for you. I mean, beer works too but the bitterness doesn't work for everything. I drink Dr. Pepper like it's water (which I should stop, because it's expensive) and it never tastes as good as it does after a greasy slice of New York style pizza or a dripping philly steak.

Jul 6, 2008 at 12:25 AM Post #69 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by synaesthetic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think a lot of it goes hand in hand with how well the drink goes with greasy, bad-for-you foods, and America thrives on food that's terrible for you. I mean, beer works too but the bitterness doesn't work for everything. I drink Dr. Pepper like it's water (which I should stop, because it's expensive) and it never tastes as good as it does after a greasy slice of New York style pizza or a dripping philly steak.

I totally understand. I used to eat all that stuff and we Americans become used to it. I admit that a nice cold Coke on ice tastes good with a burger or a New York pizza (yummy!). I still eat it occasionally though. But when I forced myself to change my eating habits, I packed my own lunch and started making my own healthy ethnic foods like tasty rice and beans, fresh vegetables that are in season, quality yogurt with the fat too, etc...

After a while, I got used to eating good tasting healthy foods and I still eat butter and ice cream and maintain a good weight. I cut out the sodas and junk food. In France, they eat butter and fat and the people are skinny. But they are not big soda drinkers.

Another important thing is to eat light dinners. Many Americans eat heavy meals before bedtime. This is something that I don't do anymore, except on some weekends. This may sound difficult for people to change but I really believe that the human body can adapt to changes and not miss the old pattern. I don't believe in dieting. I believe in adapting to a better life style.

I'm soda free and lovin it!

chewie0ol.gif

Jul 6, 2008 at 2:36 AM Post #70 of 73
I took the family out today to see Walle and I shared a Coke with the wife. Still no Dew though.

Jul 6, 2008 at 7:02 AM Post #71 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by TMusic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...Last year I stopped drinking pop for 4 weeks and dropped 18 pounds without any change in my exercise or eating habits.

21 lbs here...

Jul 6, 2008 at 8:39 AM Post #72 of 73
There is such a thing as Diet Soda Drinks.

And Diet Mt Dew. Although with nasty Aspartame.

I prefer Splenda. But even that one must be confused in moderation, as Splenda while calorie free is still interpreted as sugar by some parts of the body, so for diabetics, or those on the verge, it can mess up your insulin production and ratios.

-Ed

Jul 6, 2008 at 8:17 PM Post #73 of 73
Although I don't like Mountain Dew, I can understand the appeal since it does have a citrus like flavor or something in that realm.

I recommend trying better sodas like a lime or grapefruit soda. You may find them in the more upscale stores and in my experience, those products are much better because they taste more natural as opposed to Mountain Dew because Mountain Dew has a more pronounced imitation "citrus" syrup taste.

Or go for an Italian soda-Get some sparkling seltzer or carbonated water and mix with some real fruit juice or small amount of fruit syrup. It will contain less sugar and be more refreshing.

Moderation is key. Choose a healthier life style!

Be free!

chewie0ol.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back