Goodbye RS1s???
Jan 13, 2007 at 9:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

tuatara

500+ Head-Fier
I've been a big Grado fan for a number of years now since first trying the SR60s and slowly managed to work my way up via the 225s to the RS1s which I've had for just over 2 years.
Having had extended loans of other phones like HD650(3 different pairs)L3000,GS1000 and ATH-AD2000 I hadn't heard anything that would tempt me away from the RS1s until I was given a pair of AKG701s for several days over the Christmas period.
I resisted the urge to continually swap between phones but just spent as much time as possible getting used to the 701s.
At first listen I was kind of underwhelmed missing that Grado upfront excitment, almost ready to lump them with the HD650s(sorry 650 fans, just not my cuppa)but unlike the 650s the AKGs didn't leave anything out of the mix. Everything that is there with the Grados is also present with the 701s,presented in a different manner sure, but all the details are there.

The more I listened to the AKGs the more I liked them. Yes, bass isn't mega deep but on the plus side, isn't a one note lumpen mess and while the top end doesn't seem to be quite as extended as the RS1s it doesn't get the peakiness that the RS1s are sometimes guilty of, especially on female vocals.

I really loved the mids with the 701s. I listen to alot of acoustic music and sometimes got quite lost just picking out the various sounds that come from different string/pick combinations on guitars.
The only negative note with them was a physical one in that I found the bottom edge of the ear piece pressed quite firmly just under my ear lobe and did begone a little annoying after an hour or so but perhaps a little adjusting would help there.

On the final loan day my local (hifi) dealer bought round a Plinius cdp and one of the more expensive Tara Labs ics. A friend,fellow Grado(Sr325) and Mapletree owner also popped round and the 3 of us spent a few hours playing with the RS1/701s. In the end the unanamous verdict would go to the AKGs.

Now I'm finding it hard to go back to the RS1s and fear than yet another assult is going to be made on my wallet. Whether I hold onto the Grados I haven't yet decided as I'd like to try them with the Yamamoto HA-02 when it arrives, but the AKG701-Mapletree combo is one that I really liked.

Jan 13, 2007 at 9:44 PM Post #2 of 29
I know what you mean for sure... My having both the 701s and RS2s with the Mapletree it would be difficult to let either go because they complement each other so very well; I want to continue to enjoy them both... I've become a pack rat with my collection of phones tho, and I think I'm prepared to sell off the others keeping just these two... Although, i put the 990s on and i don't want to sell them either
frown.gif

And the 501s with 701 pads are needed still of course, because that midrange presentation with tubes is so very clearly unique, and they ARE a classic.

DON'T LET THIS HAPPEN TO YOU new-fiers
rs1smile.gif

Jan 26, 2007 at 8:34 PM Post #3 of 29
The 701s arrived yesterday and with around 14 hours on them I'm very pleased. The RS1s may not get much use in the future.
Purchased them new from an e-bay seller, cost with air freight was NZ$480 which is a bit better than the local price here at around NZ$900 and due to go up.

My friend and fellow MAD owner has also ordered a a pair rather than spend NZ$1200 on RS1s.

Now just the Yamamoto amp to arrive and life will be full...until the next urge, maybe the AD2000 or could the W5000 be a magic combo with the HA-02?

Jan 26, 2007 at 8:49 PM Post #5 of 29
I own both the AKG K701's and the Grado RS-2's. These have been my favorite headphones so far. Of course that may change this weekend, but I kind of doubt it. I love the presentation of both cans.

Jan 26, 2007 at 8:51 PM Post #6 of 29
personally, i think a K701 and RS1 combination is a terrific complement to each other. i recently went back to my SR225s which re-ignited my interest in getting a pair of RS1s to go with my K701s.

the question is, if i do finally get the RS1s - can i finally stop looking at other cans? and i think we all know the answer to THAT question!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jan 26, 2007 at 8:54 PM Post #7 of 29
Wow - I'm surprised you're ready to let the RS-1s go so easily. Like Hi-Finthen, I too find the two pairs to complement each other quite well. My experiences were opposite, however: K701 for about a year and the RS-1s showed up last week.

...granted, I was destined to own the RS-1.
biggrin.gif

I'd be interested in knowing your musical tastes. Perhaps this is contributing to your thoughts of letting the Grado go?

Jan 26, 2007 at 9:06 PM Post #9 of 29
RS1s
rs1smile.gif
are a great headphone and so is the K701 (where's the K701 smiley). Couldn't live without either of them. Use the RS1s during the day and the K701 at night. I think that also briefly summarizes their respective charactistics.

Jan 26, 2007 at 9:12 PM Post #10 of 29
I used to own both the K701 and RS-1 at the same time. I sold the K701's because the RS-1's were just getting alot more listening time. Now, I miss the K701's but Ill never sell my RS-1's. I just miss having a really refined, detailed, reference headphone for certain recordings. But since I listen to a lot of metal, its not worth the price I guess.

Jan 26, 2007 at 9:36 PM Post #11 of 29
=O

2 RS-1 owners who both own Arias... Please tell me how that combo sounds as I've been wanting a pair of RS-1's. =T And HF-1's if you can try that out too.

Jan 26, 2007 at 10:16 PM Post #12 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by laxx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
=O

2 RS-1 owners who both own Arias... Please tell me how that combo sounds as I've been wanting a pair of RS-1's. =T And HF-1's if you can try that out too.

I'm listening to my RS1-ARIA combo right now. I have it plugged into my computer. It sounds very good (listening to Mazzy Star), but I don't have much to compare it with. In general, I would say that the ARIA has a very clean (almost analytical) sound. It is definitely a quality product and a good match for the RS1. Plus, I am a big fan of crossfeed. Not many amps have it.

Jan 26, 2007 at 11:38 PM Post #14 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlendaleViper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow - I'm surprised you're ready to let the RS-1s go so easily.
I'd be interested in knowing your musical tastes. Perhaps this is contributing to your thoughts of letting the Grado go?

No, decided not to get rid of the RS1s..waited too long to be able to afford a pair (here at one time they were NZ$2000,now NZ$1200).
I know if I sell I'll end up regretting it,same reason I've kept my other Grados.

My musical tastes are pretty wide ranging from delta blues to classic rock,60s folk(UK and US) alt country/americana and all sorts of bits in between so any headphones I own need to be fairly versitile.
I'm just finding the presentation of the 701s suits alot of the music I use much better. I think alot of the potential problems lie with the source and the RS1s work much better with my analogue setup, they can get alittle fatiguing with cds especially on some female vocals. Not entirely my Arcam cdp fault as I found very liitle difference with a new Plinius cdp although probably needed more time with that. One of the reasons I kept the SR225s was that they handled some of those more 'brittle' tracks better with less extension in the upper treble.
Not knocking the RS1s, with the right tracks they're magic just some times you really wish they could step back a little.

Jan 27, 2007 at 12:35 AM Post #15 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm listening to my RS1-ARIA combo right now. I have it plugged into my computer. It sounds very good (listening to Mazzy Star), but I don't have much to compare it with. In general, I would say that the ARIA has a very clean (almost analytical) sound. It is definitely a quality product and a good match for the RS1. Plus, I am a big fan of crossfeed. Not many amps have it.

Just IMHO, you can dump you littledot's and put the fund into a MAD Purist HD. You'd be surprised. Your headphones will be on their knees, thanking you.
biggrin.gif

rs1smile.gif
MAD
rs1smile.gif
MAD
rs1smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back