Goodbye Pittsburgh, Hello Houston...
Apr 30, 2006 at 5:25 PM Post #17 of 43
Max out your 401K totally if you can afford it (I believe that contribution limit is $15K this year). Don't just stop at the employer matched portion. Compound interest for years (especially when you start young) is a wonderful thing.

Here's a thread with some Houston thoughts. I don't think the heat will be your biggest weather issue....it's the humidity.

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showt...hlight=houston

Apr 30, 2006 at 6:13 PM Post #18 of 43
I'm not sure how far I'll be able to max my 401(k), since I'm going to have a lot of out-of-pocket expenses at first. Remember, I'm literally starting from scratch here. The only furniture I'm taking is my dresser and maybe a computer desk. Otherwise, I'm going to furnish my place when I get down there, so I won't be able to afford to dump a whole lot into the 401(k) at first. It will come eventually though.

Any other ideas on how to save a few bucks during the move and in my first few months?

I'm thinking of not even getting a land line, and just sticking with a cell phone, but I'm not sure which carrier to get. I'm currently on my family's Verizon plan.

edit: Blitzula, thanks for that link. It was easy to sort through the B.S., and while Houston has it's downsides (like any city), it still seems like a good fit for me. Especially for a young professional who'll be living single and trying to save as much as possible.

Apr 30, 2006 at 8:11 PM Post #20 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by ken36
Buy a Cowboys hat. They are going to be a good team.

Is that allowed in Houston?
biggrin.gif

Apr 30, 2006 at 8:48 PM Post #21 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thaddy
I'm not sure how far I'll be able to max my 401(k), since I'm going to have a lot of out-of-pocket expenses at first. Remember, I'm literally starting from scratch here. The only furniture I'm taking is my dresser and maybe a computer desk. Otherwise, I'm going to furnish my place when I get down there, so I won't be able to afford to dump a whole lot into the 401(k) at first. It will come eventually though.

Any other ideas on how to save a few bucks during the move and in my first few months?

I'm thinking of not even getting a land line, and just sticking with a cell phone, but I'm not sure which carrier to get. I'm currently on my family's Verizon plan.

edit: Blitzula, thanks for that link. It was easy to sort through the B.S., and while Houston has it's downsides (like any city), it still seems like a good fit for me. Especially for a young professional who'll be living single and trying to save as much as possible.

Do the math, you will be surprised. For example if you put $2,500 a year for 10 years starting at 22 years old and then stop versus $2,500 for 30 years starting at age 35 till 65 years old.

In other words pay yourself first. Good luck in your new job.

Apr 30, 2006 at 9:59 PM Post #23 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo
Do the math, you will be surprised.

Yeah I've already done the calculations, FPV is no stranger and can work wonders with small deposits over many years...
tongue.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by ls20
galleria/rice/medical arts is the place to be... if you can afford the rent
im scouting for a place on memorial

That area is probably too rich for my blood at the moment, but I did get to visit Rice Village and The Galleria while on my visit. Very nice areas indeed
icon10.gif
However, it's not that close to my office and the traffic could be a killer, but that won't stop me from hanging out there on the weekends.

May 1, 2006 at 5:47 AM Post #24 of 43
I'm moving back to the area in a few weeks, and have been checking out the rice village and the heights for subleasing. Hopefully that'll be close enough to Downtown and work in the suburbs.

Houston heat will not only be hotter by 10 degrees than Pitt, but also near 85% humidity on many days. Its not much fun to be outside in the lazy afternoons of summer.

I haven't lived in Houston in nearly 4 years, so I'll be checking this thread for stuff to keep myself busy with too.
biggrin.gif

May 1, 2006 at 6:10 AM Post #25 of 43
THREE words.

TRAFFIC

PATIENCE (for the traffic)

ROAD-RAGE (for the traffic)

It IS a BIG city...(4th largest in the country after NYC, LA, & Chicago).

The pollution SUX (blame the oil refineries).

IMHO, they have the 3rd worst traffic (after LA & Atlanta) due to urban sprawl.

Besides that, I loved it.

*Don't forget to go ice-skating at the Galleria. It is LOADS of fun.

Good luck and have fun moving!

May 1, 2006 at 1:21 PM Post #26 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by imho

*Don't forget to go ice-skating at the Galleria. It is LOADS of fun.

Good luck and have fun moving!

I actually got to see that rink on my visit...I was not expecting to see that when walking into the mall!

There's been some good stuff in the thread, thanks for the pros and cons of Houston.

May 3, 2006 at 6:21 PM Post #27 of 43
Did I hear you say Westchase district? I live 5 minutes south of there and I actually work at Tinseltown a theatre in the westchase district. Send me a pm when you get to houston and I can hook you up with all the free movies you can watch, Its a good way to save money
icon10.gif

May 4, 2006 at 4:32 AM Post #28 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trance-Addict
Did I hear you say Westchase district? I live 5 minutes south of there and I actually work at Tinseltown a theatre in the westchase district. Send me a pm when you get to houston and I can hook you up with all the free movies you can watch, Its a good way to save money
icon10.gif

Oh I'll definately take you up on your offer. Maybe you can introduce me to some cute girls with a nice Texas accent too
tongue.gif

I'm fairly sure I'll be living right in the area where the Westpark Tollway and Beltway 8 cross.

May 4, 2006 at 3:15 PM Post #30 of 43
mbriant did you take those? There are some really nice pictures in that album, thanks a lot!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back