Goodbye my sweet Senn, There is a new girl in town :)
Nov 16, 2005 at 4:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

Vedder323

500+ Head-Fier
I have owned the 580s, 600s, and 650s and all are amazing headphones. However, with the arrival of my new Sony MDR SA-5000s... I have found what I feel is a better headphone for what im looking for. I think some Senn users that are sensitive to treble or extreme detail need not apply but I LOVE that about these headphones. Every little squeak shines through and it blows my mind in a very very good way. Also, the comfort of the 5ks are un matched by any large headphone I have ever tried. The Senns clamp my head so hard that after 2-3 hours, I have sore cheeks
frown.gif
With the Sonys, perfection for hours and hours.

Just my 2 cents, no need to reply or discuss
smily_headphones1.gif

Bottom line, if you wanna hear EVERYTHING, get the 5ks!

Nov 16, 2005 at 5:34 PM Post #4 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yikes
There are more of us than you think.

Probably quite a few more. Not everyone wants to get dragged into the headphone wars.
wink.gif

BW

Nov 16, 2005 at 5:40 PM Post #5 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vedder323
Also, the comfort of the 5ks are un matched by any large headphone I have ever tried. The Senns clamp my head so hard that after 2-3 hours,

My 580s clamp as much as a whores knicker elastic, although they have got 2000hours on them and I've got a big head, it was never a problem when they were new? Always been cotton wool on my head.

Nov 16, 2005 at 6:04 PM Post #8 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yikes
There are more of us than you think.

Really? What happened, did they become a FoTM or something?
icon10.gif

Best,

-Jason

Nov 16, 2005 at 9:08 PM Post #11 of 39
I agree - I love the SA5ks as well. The SA5ks and the HF-1s are constantly at battle. I sometimes have a hard time picking which one to listen to. I can't quite say I am team SA5k exclusively, since the Grados have a *very* slight edge over the SA5ks. So slight in fact that I am tempted to consider it a tie!

For me it usueally breaks down like this:

The SA5ks are used for the very best recordings.
The HF-1s get used for just about everything else.

I also agree with what you say about the Sennheisers. I have a feeling you will have a difficult time going back to the Senns after spending a lot of time with the SA5ks.

It really is ashame, I really wanted to like the Sennheiser sound signature, but try as I might my ears/music preferences just don't get along with the Sennheiser sound. It doesn't excite me at all, is too laid back/veiled, and it just makes me sleepy. No offense to the Sennheiser fans BTW! Sound Quality/preference is a very personal thing indeed.

Nov 16, 2005 at 9:18 PM Post #12 of 39
I wasn't aware SA5000s were "female"
tongue.gif

I like detail also. SA5000 is just one presentation. It's pretty good for the money along those lines. You'll have to spend a lot more on the other "mega" detail headphones.

Nov 16, 2005 at 9:29 PM Post #14 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vedder323
Also, the comfort of the 5ks are un matched by any large headphone I have ever tried. The Senns clamp my head so hard that after 2-3 hours,

Hm ... I got my SA5000 a couple of days ago and while I also love the sound, im always really sooo relieved when putting on the Senns after some hours with the Sonys.

The Senns have some 1k hours of listening time on them, so clamping is no issue there. Actually the Sonys clamp more than the Senns
blink.gif

Maybe my ears are a little bit too big sore the SA5000.

Nov 16, 2005 at 9:38 PM Post #15 of 39
I'm also going to give the SA5000 a serious listen. They retail for the same price as the HD600 up here - $599 - but of course, street prices are generally much cheaper for the Senns.

In a perfect world, I'd love to have both these cans because for me, the SA is probably more exciting but more fatiguing, and the HD is smoother and sweeter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back