Goodbye Grados...
Feb 14, 2004 at 4:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Welly Wu

Headphoneus Supremus
Well, it is done: I have just sold my beloved Grado RS-1 package deal. It was a decision born not out of financial difficulties but from an impulse within me. That impulse told me one undeniable message: truth must be told in music reproduction. The journey was an enriching one and the Grado RS-1 cans were a temporary detour. Yes, the trip was a total blast. The combination of warmth, resolution, and energy seduced me silly like having a big boobed girlfriend with no brains but I now need a steady partner for life who won't lie in our relationship...okay two partners would be nice too.
wink.gif
I think I've found "her" in the Etymotic ER-4P/S. She's the trustworthy one who'll give me enough satisfaction for a long time comin' but like all men, well, we all stray from time to time...
very_evil_smiley.gif
. Knowing what I know about headphones now, which is didly squat compared to the tribal elders around these parts, I'm wondering if I should pay extra to put that personal advertisement on the first page of the personals section. What's my type? Her name's Sennheiser and she bats .650 at the plate.
evil_smiley.gif
Should I swing deep into right field or just strike out?
confused.gif

Feb 14, 2004 at 4:17 AM Post #2 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by Welly Wu
The combination of warmth, resolution, and energy seduced me silly like having a big boobed girlfriend with no brains but I now need a steady partner for life who won't lie in our relationship...

LOL!!!

Feb 14, 2004 at 4:47 AM Post #3 of 16
Etys??... Hmm. In due time you might start yearning for a "partner" with bigger "cups."
rolleyes.gif

Sennheiser is my babe for life!!!!

BTW - If I get this right, you want a partner who wouldn't "lie in [the] relationship," but prefer to reserve for yourself the right to "stray from time to time?" Does your current sig. other know about this "little" fact??
wink.gif

Feb 15, 2004 at 12:49 PM Post #4 of 16
Hey, some people cannot be satisfied with just one. I have a Corda HA 2 amp with 2 headphone sockets (0 and 120 Ohm) and I have the DT 880s in one socket and the CD 300s in the other. I've been known to switch back and forth during the same song! Menage a trois, so to speak.

Feb 15, 2004 at 12:56 PM Post #5 of 16
With an HR-2? Sure, give the 650's a try. Many say the HR-2 is among the best SS amps to power them. Although it is my opinion (disregarding the Blockhead) that you can't drive the Senns to perfection without tubes...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Bless my tubes ample voltage swing.

-dd3mon

Feb 15, 2004 at 1:52 PM Post #6 of 16
There is a half way point between the straightforward yet frequently heckling "truth" (I suppose it would be a Germaine Greer
evil_smiley.gif
) of the Etys and the "Pamela Anderson with frequent flashes of intelligence" moniker than might be applied to the RS-1.

I've found it in an ATH-W2002 which with the right back-end (can be something as simple as an unamped MD right up to my current reference rig and probably beyond) provides me with a well rounded sound yet is fundamentally true to the source material.

I know what you mean. I've been asking the same question myself but probably from a different prespective to you. Do I sample the HD650 which is MAYBE a little less straight-laced than the HD600, which I was not inspired by? For now, I've decided (I think) to not bother but instead to eventually sample the HP-1/PS-1 type of phone.

As dd3mon says though, it is all about a system thing. Make sure you choose carefully...
biggrin.gif

Feb 15, 2004 at 2:02 PM Post #7 of 16
Well, while your post brings back shades of MERTON that quite frankly concern and disturb me,
biggrin.gif
I think you would be better off with a nice loyal 650 than a set of Etys for life, once those canals loosen up from too much use, the Etys will lose their appeal!

Feb 15, 2004 at 4:29 PM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by Ticky
Etys??... Hmm. In due time you might start yearning for a "partner" with bigger "cups."
rolleyes.gif

My "partner" has very big boobs, and a very full figure, and has brains too
wink.gif
biggrin.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Feb 15, 2004 at 4:40 PM Post #10 of 16
I can't believe you sold it and replaced the RS-1s for Etys. They can live in peace together you know. And don't anyone DARE make a mistress analogy...
rolleyes.gif
But you guys are funny nonetheless.

Feb 15, 2004 at 5:30 PM Post #11 of 16
People who speak in metaphors should shampoo my crotch.

Feb 15, 2004 at 5:44 PM Post #13 of 16
I am not in control of the relationship
tongue.gif
Uh oh gotta got, somebody's calling me for some cuddling.

Feb 15, 2004 at 6:39 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by Oddball
I can't believe you sold it and replaced the RS-1s for Etys. They can live in peace together you know. And don't anyone DARE make a mistress analogy...
rolleyes.gif
But you guys are funny nonetheless.

In the spirit of gender equality:

Its like having to give up Sean Connery (in his salad days... but the man does age well) for Ben Affleck/ Denzel Washington (take your pick). Why not just keep both?

Now, is that an accurate assessment? Being a guy (straight), I'm stretching my cognitive ability to "see things from the feminine perspective" here.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back