good voice/music/mp3 recorder for < $60-85?
Sep 10, 2003 at 6:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

pianoplayer88key

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking into getting a mp3 voice recorder (maybe HD, but probably flash based) so that I can record some things, like live music, for my own personal enjoyment. I really would like to get something like an Archos Jukebox, Creative Nomad Jukebox, Ipod, or other similar device, but I don't have the $ for that yet, and I want something basic NOW to get me by until I CAN afford it.
Basically, I want:
recording cabability with decent audio quality (stereo would be nice but not a requirement)
built-in mic
at least 3 hours of recording time or longer at highest quality setting
don't know if battery life is an issue, but at least enough battery life so I can record the memory to full, and listen to it all the way through, before the batteries show signs of being discharged
a compact flash slot would be nice so that I could pop my 512MB or 1GB card in there (which I normally use for my digital camera)

I would like to be able to turn this on, put it in my pocket or backpack, walk into a piano store, and play some 9-foot pianos.
smily_headphones1.gif
I'm sure I'd be using it for other things, too.

Any models you guys might suggest on a limited budget like that so I can get by for a few months or a year until I can get a good (currently >$400 but hopefully then lower priced) HD mp3/video/etc player?

Sep 10, 2003 at 7:57 PM Post #2 of 5
I looked at a few yesterday and today, and all the ones I saw (but didn't look closely at all of them) either did ADPCM format or some other low quality format with a < 6KHz frequency response.

What can I get for < $85 that supports, for example, at least 96kbit/sec 22KHz mp3, or equivalent WAV format or better?

I also would like a compact-flash slot on it so I can use my flash memory with it.

Sep 20, 2003 at 8:39 AM Post #3 of 5
I was looking at some of the Pogo units. I'm considering possibly a RipFlash Plus unit. I am willing to up my budget to around $100 or so. (I may end up getting the RipFlash though.) The DX is not an option cause it only goes up to 128kbit encoding, and although Radio YourWay seems to have a good quality tuner based on the specs, it only goes up to 32kbps. The Pro is too expensive, the Trio is expensive AND limited on mic audio encoding, yada yada....

Anyone had experience with any of these? Would it be something decent or should I keep looking?

Sep 20, 2003 at 10:33 PM Post #4 of 5
...that the problem is simply that your price point is just far too low right now. I don't know that you're *ever* going to get something sufficient for recording live music with any degree of quality for under $100 at today's prices. I used to use a Sony PCM-M1 DAT portable that was $550...used!

Another thing I used was an Aiwa MiniDisc recorder...that was a great stealth recording unit. I think it used Atrac3, which was the latest at the time...maybe it was Atrac4, I don't exactly recall. One of those. That was cheaper, more like $180 off of eBay at the time.

- Matt

Oct 4, 2003 at 6:14 AM Post #5 of 5
Well... I got a RipFlash Plus, but now I need to find a good microphone to plug in. I tried a Sony ECM-MS907 Electret Condenser Stereo microphone, which would be stretching my budget. It apparently won't drive my ripflash very well - I need another 50-60dB of amplification preferably.

Anyone have any suggestions for a decent powered microphone that plugs into a line-level input and has a high output? a gain control would also be a plus cause there isn't one on the RipFlash Plus.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back